Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs left in car - was I overreacting?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Was working in my mums shop today, heard a dog crying, looked up to see a little whippet/min. greyhound type dog trying to squeeze out the passenger window of a land-rover/jeep thing parked outside. So I went out to stop it, there were two of them in the car, one of them quite upset - crying, climbing around on seats and dashboard and trying to get out, both panting a lot. The windows were open and the back half had all tinted windows. I got some ice cubes to give them as I could reach in but they weren't really too bothered about them. This was in the afternoon in the hottest part of the day, they were left there for well over an hour, probably two. The second dog had started barking just before the owners came back so I had gone out again with my ice-cubes when they got there. So I said to them that I didn't think they should leave their dogs in the car, they had been distressed and it was too hot. I was told in return that "It's ok, it's just their temperament, and the windows are tinted so it's not too hot in there." They were tourists, had driven over from England, presumably so they could bring their dogs on holiday with them. So why leave them in the car! They said they had gone to get food - it was a lovely day and there are plenty of places here to eat outside, or alternatively, what I would have done if I had my dogs with me and couldn't bring them - get a picnic, drive somewhere, eat outside or in the car.
    Am I overreacting as the windows were open and tinted, or do you agree that you just should not leave dogs in the car, especially for that length of time? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Youre probably right but fortunately no harm came to the dogs.

The fact that you mentioned it to them might make them think in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No, you def didnt over react. If this was at a dog show and someone left the dogs in the car like that, the windows would be smashed to get them out.

Its a disgrace what people do to their pets. It only takes minutes for a dog to over heat in a car with all the windows up like that, even if it is only open a bit, its not enough to get air into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I don't think you are over reacting. I have left my dog in the car, but only for short periods, with plenty of ventilation & I usually have a bowl in the boot so I can give him a drink when he needs. Having said that I am always paranoid leaving him there...

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Two hours is a long time for two dogs to be locked in a car even if it had tinted windows,,and the fact they said it was the dogs temperment to be barking and be distressed is a bit much,,,. Fair play to you for keeping an eye on them and giving them ice,,maybe by speaking to the owners it might make them more aware of their action in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've no problem with people leaving dogs in the car for a short period of time (i.e. less than 30 mins), but an hour does seem like a long time.

However, some dogs do just seem to panic when they're left in a car. I remember one time we had our dog (a pointer cross) with us when my mum had to go into the pharmacy. She was no more than 5 minutes and I was in the car with the dog, but she wouldn't stop whinging and crying and jumping all over the car in a panic because she was somewhere strange. It didn't matter that I was with her. I actually had to taker her out of the car to calm her down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I only live less than 5 minutes from the park where I walk my dogs and even that trip in the car on a hot day is enough to have them panting heavily and my jeep has tinted windows (not that that would make much difference), I couldn't imagine how those 2 poor dogs felt in a hot car for 2 hours. Well done for pointing it out to those people though they seem to be more intent on enjoying their holiday than their dogs safety, they should have left them in kennels if they couldn't have them with them for every part of their holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Two hours on a hot day is totally out of order. Remember years ago when people used to have stickers on their cars saying something like "dogs die in hot cars" to warn people? If I'd seen dogs left in a car for that long I would have called the dog warden or RSPCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Coming from the UK they should know better. An RSPCA inspector would of broken the glass. People never realise how hot it can get. The temperature can rise really quickly.

When I lived in the UK I had a sign ready to put up, if I popped into a shop, to tell anyone that the dogs were only being left for a few minutes.

I remember a dog in a Uk Tesco carpark. Someone called the RSPCA & within about 10 minutes an inspector arrived. She made a quick call to the police who said that they were on the way & then she broke the window !.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Two hours is too long absolutely. And I don't know how somone could go out for a bit to eat and leave their dog in the car. I just wouldn't be able to eat worrying about mine.

However, we are trying to get my fella used to the car at the moment. He seems to panic when in the car, and under advice from a dog trainer, we have been bringing him everywhere. I'm sure people have seen him in the car and thought we were awful people. When in reality we are trying to find excuses to go places to bring him with us! We would never leave him any more than 20 mins though.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

No you were not over reacting dogs should not be left in a car in the heat. There was a case over in England of a pek dying last week due to being left in car.

Personally would never leave dog in a car.

Ten minutes can even be too long. Personally would never leave a dog in a car.

http://www.thisisdorset.net/news/8183386.Dog_dies_after_overheating_in_car_left_on_Bournemouth_seafront/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

2 hours is far too long. I have a cage system built into my estate car so I can leave the boot open for them and I still get anxious that they'll be too hot! I end up putting those silver sheets over the car and plug a fan into the cigarette lighter for them, and a water bowl, park the car so the boot is out of as much direct sunlight as possible....... now that I write it down it strikes me how neurotic I must seem! But it keeps me happier that they're as cool as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I don't think you are over reacting. I have left my dog in the car, but only for short periods, with plenty of ventilation
    even on cool days i would not leave my fella on his own in the car , I recall a guy poping in to lidl's for 5 mins and coming back to find the window broken and the dog gone ,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Really? :eek: Where did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Whispered wrote: »
    Really? :eek: Where did this happen?
    It was one of the ones in dublin (not the balbriggan one) i think it was a yorki or JRT that was taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't think you were overreacting at all. You were being pretty sensible, I probably would have smashed the window.

Yesterday it was really sunny and warm and I saw a woman go into a supermarket and leave her toddler in the car, no windows opened at all, in direct sunlight. :( I was keeping an eye on him and she wasn't gone too long, about 20 minutes, but still she shouldn't do that. Then she drove away without strapping him into the child seat or putting a seat belt on him or anything :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Your actions were great:D

Would have called the gardai or smashed the window.

Been there; done that.

We saw a baby left in a car for too long alone; the parents came back just as we were getting the gardai..... Another two minutes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I can't believe people would still leave babies in cars nowadays. :mad:

Though I have seen people leaving their babies in prams outside the bank and the chipper in the town that I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ciars84

I don’t think you are over reacting. I would only leave my dog in the car for about 10 minutes if I have to, If it was too hot I wouldn’t leave her at all! My worry is always someone stealing my car and taking my dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the grooming pa

The temperature in a car can soar to over 47c (116.6f) when the temperature outside is just 22c (71.6f), within an hour.
    Dogs should NEVER be left in a car, even with the windows open and water, they can die of heat stroke very easily.
    If you need to leave the car, take your dog with you or leave the dog at home with shelter and water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davi78

My Staffie loves being in the car. When ever we go out together she has her seatbelt on, unfortunately it's like harness which makes her look really tough when she's the sweetest. I'll leave her in the car if I'm going to pick up something quickly but never for any serious length of time. But as I said she loves being in the car...it's always a drama having to take her out!! You might say, why not just leave her at home. I regularly am away from the house for upwards of 6 hours and I would never leave her alone for that long. She has two cat brothers who keep her company however they eventually go to sleep leaving her with no company. She's a funny one though. I bring water for her but she flat refuses to drink anything till she's back in her kitchen! Same goes for eating too. Even in friends houses, she'll take the treat but she won't eat it!! Sorry for the rant, I just love her so much I think everyone should know about her!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

davi78 wrote: »
    My Staffie loves being in the car. When ever we go out together she has her seatbelt on, unfortunately it's like harness which makes her look really tough when she's the sweetest. I'll leave her in the car if I'm going to pick up something quickly but never for any serious length of time. But as I said she loves being in the car...it's always a drama having to take her out!! You might say, why not just leave her at home. I regularly am away from the house for upwards of 6 hours and I would never leave her alone for that long. She has two cat brothers who keep her company however they eventually go to sleep leaving her with no company. She's a funny one though. I bring water for her but she flat refuses to drink anything till she's back in her kitchen! Same goes for eating too. Even in friends houses, she'll take the treat but she won't eat it!! Sorry for the rant, I just love her so much I think everyone should know about her!!

Awwww, more of this!! I love hearing people raving about their dogs, I'm the same!!

OP you did the right thing without a doubt, good on you for being so vigilant and caring

Advertisement