Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted child abductor in tallaght area.

Options
  • 01-06-2010 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

There is a warning going around the schools of someone in a blue car attempting to lure children in with sweet.:mad:
    Fecking scum everywhere its like a disease :mad:

Any body else have more details? what type of car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeh its the 4th time hes attempted in recent weeks,and as far as i know theyve all been in west dublin.

Its been reported hes driving a blue civic.

Thats all i have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What schools did this warning go around? I heard nothing about it from my sister whose kids go to school in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

One out in Ongar Clonee direction as well, not sure if the same one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

A notice was issued by schools in West Tallaght area (Jobstown, Killinarden etc.) over the past few weeks mentioning above.

Anyone who suspects odd/suspicious behavior are asked to contact their local garda station and report suspicious behavior asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What schools did this warning go around? I heard nothing about it from my sister whose kids go to school in Tallaght.

Apparently it is happening outside the schools also.
    Just heard something similar happened in clondalkin last week.

Rathcoole,saggart area also.I would say all areas in tallaght should be on look out.Driving a car,he is going to have a wide range of schools to choose from.

• Advertisement

Yeh its the 4th time hes attempted in recent weeks,and as far as i know theyve all been in west dublin.

Its been reported hes driving a blue civic.

Thats all i have.

Thanks just heard happened today he tried to get a little girl in,its the same car.
    I dont know what area but around Tallaght again somewhere.

Can a mod please link this with the other thread as its sound like the same person :mad:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055916903

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OP, surely this is nothing more than the same old same old internet rumours popping up again? Have a search of this forum and you will find a few similar threads over the years, none of which afaik turned out to be verifiable abduction attempts.
    On facebook at the moment I've several friends with the same warning message in their status - each person has it almost word for word the same as the others, except the school/area changes and the colour of the 'abductors' transport. I've even seen the same 'warning' show up in the status of friends in the UK, USA and Australia. How can that be true? Is the world awash with child abducters? Does the sudden increase in these rumours mean the abducters are celebrating 'International abduct a child month' or something?

This stupid rumour has been doing the rounds on t'internet virtually since it started. One of the first emails I ever got was very similar to the OPs warning, and that must have been 15-16 years ago. Frightened the life out of me at the time, but once I starting receiving them on a regular basis with little 'facts' here and there amended to suit certain locations I got to know them for what they were. Spam.

Seriously, how bad can someone be at child abduction that they'd have so many 'failed' attempts? And over a such a long period of time?!

If someone really wants to abduct a child they could do it in a heartbeat lets be honest, and it would be massive news - just look at the publicity the 'alleged' abduction of one child in Portugal got! I think if this was truly happening, the newspapers & TV would be all over it.

I think unless someone can show that the Gardai have these reports on their records, I'd just ignore all these spams OP.

And lets truly hope I am not shown to be wrong on this, it would be a nightmare if the rumours were proven to be founded this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The Garda are contacting schools in the areas where this has been happening and alerting parents that way, with the internet parents are now able to communicate to others so word of mouth as ti were spreads quicker. There is thread on this in the parenting forum and a scan of a letter sent home from one of the schools was put up.

29651_1280533060307_1439472364_30623093_1393276_n.jpg

Are they crap at abducting or are we as parents watching out more and kids are more aware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The Garda are contacting schools in the areas where this has been happening and alerting parents that way, with the internet parents are now able to communicate to others so word of mouth as ti were spreads quicker. There is thread on this in the parenting forum and a scan of a letter sent home from one of the schools was put up.

29651_1280533060307_1439472364_30623093_1393276_n.jpg

Are they crap at abducting or are we as parents watching out more and kids are more aware?

I don't think it's necessarily that parents are more aware, I think they get nervous.

Two girls in my primary school were nearly abducted by a guy in a car coming back from the shop (they were sent to buy the biscuits and teabags for the teachers!).

That was back in the eighties when there was next to nothing about this sort of thing in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thadeydal, I'm not sure tbh.
    THe letter you've posted looks like a carbon copy of one posted in the D15 forum last year! Also it doesnt say there was an attempted abduction though does it? Perhaps the rumour mill filled in the missing details and made it something more than it was? Who knows.

I'm skeptical I know (or maybe even cynical) so maybe I should off my hobby horse now. I know I've probably ranted about these rumours and chinese whispers too often on here! I'll just remind everyone that their children are in far more danger from people who are not strangers, something that by comparison gets little emphasis on boards, ior in emails or facebook statuses!

We should absolutley be vigilant as there are some sick people out there, but I dont think they're on every street corner as this type of thread would have you believe.

I know that the majority of abuses of child both physical and sexual are people known to the children. There is also a discussion on the crimes agaisnt children edition of Prime time which was on this week in the parenting forum.

As for the letter being a 'copy' most school in line with the child protection policy will have a standard letter for such things.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Thadeydal, I'm not sure tbh.
    THe letter you've posted looks like a carbon copy of one posted in the D15 forum last year! Also it doesnt say there was an attempted abduction though does it? Perhaps the rumour mill filled in the missing details and made it something more than it was? Who knows.

I'm skeptical I know (or maybe even cynical) so maybe I should off my hobby horse now. I know I've probably ranted about these rumours and chinese whispers too often on here! I'll just remind everyone that their children are in far more danger from people who are not strangers, something that by comparison gets little emphasis on boards, ior in emails or facebook statuses!

We should absolutley be vigilant as there are some sick people out there, but I dont think they're on every street corner as this type of thread would have you believe.

I had a letter sent home from school already,my neighbour showed me hers from a different school and the thread on which i showed the link described a blue car also,my other neighbour works for a school in clondalkin and it happened there.These aren't rumours i am sorry to say.
    Only three years ago some one who was a stranger tried to abduct my nephew.It is not just people you know.These are predators and go for outside the family and probably have done things inside the family also.
    Dont underestimate kids today they are paying alot more attention and not so easily fooled,
    Luckily he is picking the wrong kids and also has been interrupted apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

we as parents watching out more and kids are more aware?

I wouldnt say that,there's plenty of kids who thier parents have no idea where they are and very little interest in thier welfare..i see 5 and six year olds roaming the streets after 10pm up my way,if they were gonna be abducted they'd be right for the taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Degsy wrote: »
    ,if they were gonna be abducted they'd be right for the taking.

I was going to invite you to a BBQ tomorrow, now I'm not so sure.:pac:

I wouldnt say that,there's plenty of kids who thier parents have no idea where they are and very little interest in thier welfare..i see 5 and six year olds roaming the streets after 10pm up my way,if they were gonna be abducted they'd be right for the taking.

Unfortunately we can't make certain parents give a damn.

But neighbours can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Kick them out of thier free houses and they'll soon start giving a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

This is being discussed on FM104 at the moment.....

JosDel wrote: »
    This is being discussed on FM104 at the moment.....

About recent spates of attempted abductions?

I was told today the tallaght echo said it wasn't as many as people are saying.But then why so many letters going out in so many areas.
    Let us know if you are listening what they are saying thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

These rumours used to go round my school all the time, it used to be a white van but I suppose that's gotten cliche...

Swords Attempted Abduction

Gardaí are investigating an attempted child abduction at the Ridgewood Housing Estate in Swords, Co. Dublin. Two young girls were approached by a man, in his 30's. He was driving a black saloon type car. He asked the girls if they wanted a lift to the playground. The girls ran to their homes. The girls reported that the man had an English accent and later assisted the Garda Photographic Section to compile a CD Fit.
    Gardaí are investigating an attempted child abduction at the Ridgewood Housing Estate in Swords, Co. Dublin. Two young girls were approached by a man, in his 30's. He was driving a black saloon type car. He asked the girls if they wanted a lift to the playground. The girls ran to their homes. The girls reported that the man had an English accent and later assisted the Garda Photographic Section to compile a CD Fit.
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/crimecall/this_month.html

I know thats a little bit back but shows you its there,Until its proven they cant make it offical,and all they can do is warn schools,and spread by word of mouth.

Does the photo fit of that guy above described and the english man wanted below look very alike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

This seems to border on mass hysteria.
    The Tallaght Echo today(sorry no link) reported that the iniatial report of a man offering sweets to a child from his car was totaly innocent but word spread like wildfire that there was an abductor on the prowl
    Hope it is as innocent as that

This seems to border on mass hysteria.
    The Tallaght Echo today(sorry no link) reported that the iniatial report of a man offering sweets to a child from his car was totaly innocent but word spread like wildfire that there was an abductor on the prowl
    Hope it is as innocent as that

Yeah thats very innocent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

being an ice-cream man these days...tough gig!

Kick them out of thier free houses and they'll soon start giving a damn.

Degsy i find that very condescending of you,not all people in free housing let their kids walk the streets and don't take care of them.Plenty of people who have husbands and work every day and pay their mortgages let their kids wander the streets to god hours in the night.And could careless where they are;)
    Witness it every day.

Would be proper if you didn't tar all people with same brush.

Advertisement