Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im the ONLY student on masters course!! Opinions please

Options
  • 01-06-2010 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Good day

Quick question for all you postgrads out there.

Surprisingly but also fortunately, I have been offered more than one postgraduate course. However there is a downfall, I have been made aware that I am possibly the only student on one of theses courses as it runs primarily on a part time basis. (this course is closer to home & cost of living would be less expensive for me). It sounds a bit daunting to say the least if I was the only student for the year!

Would this be a deal breaker if you heard this?
    Would appreciate any experiences or opinions on the matter. Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

Being the only students can have advantages as well! Maybe a flexible timetable which is suitable to you and your lecturer? no actual assignment deadline dates etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I was the only student in my masters course, and it was fantastic. To get one-on-one with lecturers, dealing with the issues you have only, really aided my progress and also helped me to develop seriously good working relationships with those lecturers.
    I couldn't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I was the only student in my masters course, and it was fantastic. To get one-on-one with lecturers, dealing with the issues you have only, really aided my progress and also helped me to develop seriously good working relationships with those lecturers.
    I couldn't recommend it enough.

^This.

You are being handed a golden opportunity, take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

id be grabbing it with both hands. It would be like having a one to one tuition, not just a supervisor. this is something at Level 9 that can't be bought and is rarely provided. if you are serious about the content it'd be an opportunity I think you'd be mad to turn down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You'd be a shoe in for any research opportunities later.
    Go for it!

You'll never have to worry about lecturers not remembering you later when you're looking for a reference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

One to one tuition at postgrad level, what could possibly be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

so theres no downside ?

is it a research masters or a taught masters ?

if its the latter :

you will have no peers to benchmark your progress against, work with , discuss ideas , get different perspective.

why is their only one person doing the course ? - is there any reason why the course or course provider would have such little demand ?

will the course go ahead if there is only one person wanting to do the course ?

If its a research masters :

ignore the above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Well mine was a taught masters, and not having anybody else involved was invigorating. It meant that I set my own targets, all the ideas I came up with a presented were original and made me the researcher I am today (in year 4 of my PhD). Tbh, I find other people can drag you down, with whinging/complaining/not understanding things/misunderstanding things, it can lead you all astray. If its just you and the material its far more satisfying when the correct conclusion is reached.
    Obviously, if you're the only person on the course because the course is rubbish thats a whole other problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Hi all,

THANKS so much for replies, some very valid points! It does seem like a golden opportunity in all honesty but im still hesitant!

The course is a Taught masters course. As for the course itself, i would rather not specify what it is as i feel i got the offer prematurely.

Yes, i was in contact with the course head, as i was declining the course based on it being run PT only, to get told that it would run FT. I do find it hard to believe it would run FT with me only!

The course itself is definitely not be the best for a career under climatic conditions, as most companies are cutting excessive fat from their business! But I know additional education will hopefully open doors for me, well I hope...

Thats why I am tempted to accept the other course i have been offered, an Energy related masters. But this course would mean living in dublin & all the additional expense which i do not think i can afford! Choices choices...

Thanks, Mr Y

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭big_show

Congratulations on finishing top of your class by the way! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    Hi all,

THANKS so much for replies, some very valid points! It does seem like a golden opportunity in all honesty but im still hesitant!

The course is a Taught masters course. As for the course itself, i would rather not specify what it is as i feel i got the offer prematurely.

Yes, i was in contact with the course head, as i was declining the course based on it being run PT only, to get told that it would run FT. I do find it hard to believe it would run FT with me only!

The course itself is definitely not be the best for a career under climatic conditions, as most companies are cutting excessive fat from their business! But I know additional education will hopefully open doors for me, well I hope...

Thats why I am tempted to accept the other course i have been offered, an Energy related masters. But this course would mean living in dublin & all the additional expense which i do not think i can afford! Choices choices...

Thanks, Mr Y

you may be suprised but i'm sure it happens... I know of a masters course which took place very recently with 2 students..only one of whom finished the course.

check what modules are on your course.

I wouldn't be suprised if some of the modules are modules that are shared with students on other degree programs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I know a girl who's the only person in her taught masters, but I don't think she's actually had any modules on her own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Hey,

Yes, I/m sure lectures would be with other courses despite being Billy no mates in my own course :D

Think I'm better off doing the other masters, in energy, as it should provide more job opportunities once finished!!

@big_show: wwell spotted, good one! That would mean I'd be the top & bottom of the class, one man band!

Thx again for all your post folks

Advertisement