Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch out for this convicted Sex Offendor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Will he teach your kids to spell "Offender"?

Also, he didn't rape any kids, why is this in parenting?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

MrStuffins wrote: »

He has convictions for exposing himself to a three-year-old child - I put it in the parenting section because it might concern parents - does that pass your criteria for what goes in the section?

Also, why do you bother to post about a spelling mistake? Seems a bit of a trivial thing to do, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like the trash tabloids are trying to sell papers on the back of outrage again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Rte news put his photo up tonight. He raped 4 women and is a serial sex offender! Paul Williams set up a helpline to expose him as well.

What did he expect, He ruined 4 womens lives and he wants to emigrate with the money that he gains from suing the media?

His life is ruined oh how we weep for him. He is a scumbag looking for a way out. God help the lawyer that defends him in this case.

As a very valid point: I know an Irish Nurse who worked in Saudi. She was cornered by a potential rapist, he failed 'thankfully' and was brought to a Saudi court due to witnesses. The man was whipped publicly via their law at the time.

The nurse in question saw him afterwards and expressed that he was destroyed as a man, he was a broken man. Subsequently she felt sorry for him. But after some thought she realised that if he had got away with this crime then his victim i.e. a successful rape as a potential victim herself she would have been destroyed in the same way.

A strange kind of justice happened. A man who is a rapist and a sex offender in my opinon is a person who gives up their rights in society. That is their life choice and consequences will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Martian Martin do not post the image again you linked to it that is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

MrStuffins wrote: »

Seriously tricky one, all too easy to join the lynch mob
    and agree with OP (lack of education and poor spelling aside) but the subject of this thread has had his day in court and seen "due process" done and served his time. I don't believe he is "rehabilitated" but that's up to the parole officer to watch, not us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Well said CrazyRabbit. I was just thinking how to reply to the thread and I couldn't have summed it up any better.
    Trial by media, sensationalist journalism etc. is not what should guide our society. I was really disappointed that RTE, while apparently trying to impartially report on the matter, side with the tabloids and show his picture at least three times during the report.
    This guy has served his sentence and should be on a sex offenders register, end of story. Or maybe we should go down the route of public stoning etc?
    We are a civilised society because we do civilised things: we shouldn't respond to uncivilised acts by becoming uncivilised...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Seriously tricky one, all too easy to join the lynch mob
    and agree with OP (lack of education and poor spelling aside) but the subject of this thread has had his day in court and seen "due process" done and served his time. I don't believe he is "rehabilitated" but that's up to the parole officer to watch, not us.

Sorry for the misspelling but lack of education? I have two Degrees, an MsC and I am currently working on my PhD.

Please do continue to scour the internet for spelling mistakes to get upset about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Sorry for the misspelling but lack of education? I have two Degrees, an MsC and I am currently working on my PhD.

Please do continue to scour the internet for spelling mistakes to get upset about.

There's enough poor grammar/spelling/punctuation/etc. on the internet (the amount I see on the RTE website really fcuking galls me), without having someone claiming to have 2 degrees contributing to it. "Degree" wouldn't normally be spelled with a capital "D" in the middle of a sentence, and it's "MSc", not "MsC".

• Advertisement

Nit picking at people's posts is not civil posting which is the standard expected on this forum. So quit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Nit picking at people's posts is not civil posting which is the standard expected on this forum. So quit it.

Way to go with the grammar in your "sentence" there; that was intentional, no?

What you're (almost) saying is that nit-picking at individuals posts is the expected standard.

tmcw banned for a month from this forum.
    Maybe after that ammount of time you will have figured out how to conduct yourself on this site.

Well said CrazyRabbit. I was just thinking how to reply to the thread and I couldn't have summed it up any better.
    Trial by media, sensationalist journalism etc. is not what should guide our society. I was really disappointed that RTE, while apparently trying to impartially report on the matter, side with the tabloids and show his picture at least three times during the report.
    This guy has served his sentence and should be on a sex offenders register, end of story. Or maybe we should go down the route of public stoning etc?
    We are a civilised society because we do civilised things: we shouldn't respond to uncivilised acts by becoming uncivilised...
    Public stoning no. Public realisation yes. In a civilised society by design we have to live in urban communities. This demands a learned type of respect for the people that we have to live with in some situations. That is a fact of life in these situations.

As a man with a child that is still in the formative years, I have to live next to some settled people and single moms all who have mouths like sewers and have a certain type of life that is comfortable for them. I have learned that, that is their life choice. This is the way they live. It took me awhile to get used to it.

They are not bad people, but the do have a life choice (it is not mine).

However a serial rapist individual is another matter. I would not want to go to work and leave my family on a day to day basis and feel comfortable with a man 'next door' who is of this nature if he was my neighbour I would be stressed all day.

As a curious point I found that this chap considered sleeping rough as a homeless person to avoid 'media'/public attention. This is akin to excommunication which was the worst possible punishment that could occur in older times.

Question that I have in all this is: would folks on here like to have this chap living next to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

As far as I know there IS no public sex offenders register in Ireland is there? In the US there are websites you can go on, enter your address or the address you are interested in moving to and you can get a map with red flags showing the addresses of all registered sex offenders within a certain radius of yours. You can then click on any of these flags to see name, photo and conviction details. I would like to see a system like this here. But then again I would wonder if we are ready to handle that kind of info here. For me it would be enough to just not move there, or in the event that the offender moved there after me, to be aware of the person and their capabilities. For others they'd be around the address with burning torches and lynch mobs. I think the lynch mob mentality is a bit of a problem still in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Watch out for this convicted Sex Offendor

Don't forget to watch out for all your relatives too, as your child is far more likely to be abused by a relative than by a bogey-man stranger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Thaedydal wrote: »
    tmcw banned for a month from this forum.
    Maybe after that ammount of time you will have figured out how to conduct yourself on this site.

And maybe you could spell 'amount' correctly. Sorry but spelling error really bugs me,especially as you are so against text speak.

I am against text speak because I have dyslexia and it makes reading posts a lot harder.

If you have an issue with a post report it, if you have a comment to make on a mod action/warning pm the mod rather then posting off topic and picking over people's spelling is also off topic.

mariaf24 wrote: »
    And maybe you could spell 'amount' correctly. Sorry but spelling error really bugs me,especially as you are so against text speak.

The banning was more about the attitude and need to argue about spelling over the actual topic. Trying to distract from that by trying to include an aforementioned text speak as an issue is the same type of argument and a similar distraction in my view.

I personally use the 'check' button to correct spelling myself before committing a post to avoid people that try to do this type of attack to get attention.

If people have an issue with spelling and so on then they should take themselves to the 'proper English' forum if it exists. Other than that then said folks should just correct their own English via the check button which is freely available.

Advertisement