Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest place to get a car tyre

Options
  • 01-06-2010 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

need to get a new front left for my corolla and new enoughto the area, can anyboody reccommend me awhere to go where i won't get ripped off please?

cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Depends where you are - in Ballina, most places are fairly decent, I don't think they're on a mission to screw you.

Find out your tyre size and ring around for a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You'll find there's a trade off, do You want a tyre that grips or one that lasts forever? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Get Quotes, and haggle, haggle, haggle.

Also, try and get the same tyre as what's on your right hand side if possible. Corolla is a lightish car and by such, depends a lot on grip in wet weather.

There's too many places to specifically mention one particular garage in mayo. where abouts are you situated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Get Quotes, and haggle, haggle, haggle.

Also, try and get the same tyre as what's on your right hand side if possible. Corolla is a lightish car and by such, depends a lot on grip in wet weather.

There's too many places to specifically mention one particular garage in mayo. where abouts are you situated?

hey bob, situated in castlebar so i am, asking for advice as i went to get my car serviced in a place in town here called 'richardsons' i think and he didn't do a tap on it, he didnt even look at it and charged me 130e, i dont want that level of service again so that is why i am asking for a recommendation really.

last time i bought a tyre in galway was in auto exchange and got screwed and paid over 80e for it(including fitting charge)

any advice would be appreciated. cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You'll find there's a trade off, do You want a tyre that grips or one that lasts forever? :D

one that grips i would say mate ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Best advice is to get plenty of quotes and then bargain them down. Not easy. Be careful of the add on's.....wheels balanced and then the tracking. A recent sharp practise I encountered was a proposed charge of €5 per tyre for the balancing - all four! Back tyres balanced is not going make a helluva of a difference.

I had to get 4 new tyres since Xmas and the two time's I went to the same garage I got the feeling that I was being done. The smarmy approach didn't help and I have made the decision not to go back there ever again.

Hope you get sorted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Richardsons are a very reputable garage, around a long time.

For tyres Hanover in Castlebar and Advance in Westport are both good firms.

It may be false economy to go for the cheapest tyre. When you are going around that corner at speed think of the very small area of each tyre that is actually in contact with the road - Your life may depend on the quality of your tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Doyles on the Dublin Rd (take the turn for the Garden Centre about 200 metres after moneen roundabout) I found are the cheapest but this depends on the tyre size you are looking for.

Last typres I bought were from Toghers on the Claremorris road and he was actually the cheapest after I bargained for 2.

As said in previous posts call around and see. Also I would not reccomend going for the cheapest tyre just for the sake of it. Choose your tyre based on what milage you do and car you drive, there are topics on the Motors forum about this. The tyre place will also advise you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I would'nt go for the cheapest tyre myself, would go for main brand high quality, works out cheaper as they will last longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

nuac wrote: »
    Richardsons are a very reputable garage, around a long time.

For tyres Hanover in Castlebar and Advance in Westport are both good firms.
    I can't say I'd share the same enthuasiasm for Advance as you would. My Family have all had dealings with them and found them expensive, and of mediocre quality in many respects. But saying that, that's all our experience has been. Others may have differen opinions.

At the end of the day, everyone aims to make as much money as possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I use Frank Warde down the N5 good price and quick.

If your looking to get your car serviced try Michael Gavin in Pheasant Hill on the Westport Rd hes excellent and reasonably priced too, best mechanic around by a mile. Ask anyone who uses him.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

jenno86 wrote: »
    I use Frank Warde down the N5 good price and quick.

If your looking to get your car serviced try Michael Gavin in Pheasant Hill on the Westport Rd hes excellent and reasonably priced too, best mechanic around by a mile. Ask anyone who uses him.

Hey there, I'm trying to get a phone number for Michael Gavin, want to get a quote off him to service my car. Have tried the usual google search to no avail, would anyone have his work no?

Advertisement