Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny Community Radio?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Back in winter '06 I attended several meetings about starting up a Community Radio Station here in Letterkenny, but I don't think it ever went anywhere. I know I stopped getting email reminders about the meetings! And that was the last I ever heard of that.

I've heard there's a new group trying to do something similar. Does anyone on here know anything about it?

I'm involved with producting a radio show, it's a weekly interview show which airs on a couple of online stations, and the team I'm working with is interested in bringing a new host into the mix (we've been on-air a year on June 29th, and we want to start expanding the team), so I'd like to make contact with anyone who's connected with this new group to see if anyone local wants to take a shot at being host on our show for a couple of interviews.

Anyone here know anything about it? Or can point me towards anyone connected? PM me if you want. Thanks a lot!

http://www.facebook.com/IrishSideOfTheMoon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Its a great idea, there is scope for a community service if even limited. There are opportunities to get temporary licenses in the south. I think it would get stiff opposition from Highland, but it would depend on what and when you were broadcasting.

Worth checking out www.radiowaves.fm for more on the subject of Radio in Ireland. Lots of the main people in radio on that forum too for advice and info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

they have a community radio station in Bruckless that broadcasts from the basement of the Ringfort Hotel.
    http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/Community-radio-station-gets-licence.6210604.jp

I know some of the people involved, I can put you in touch. I also know the committee that was looking for the license for Letterkenny community radio, I think it would be great for the area.
    I like Shaun Doherty, and Greg Hughes and alot of programs on Highland, but the mid day listening doesn't cater for a diverse audience. Lets face it, its wall to wall Irish country and western, which is great if you like that kind of thing.
    There is very little alternative music, no jazz, indies, world music etc. There was a program on Highland each Monday that was called Out of Africa, which was presented by a girl I knew from Ghana. She would play an eclectic mix of world music which was great.
    At home I listen to internet radio all the time, but when Im driving, I have little choice but to listen to Highland, RTE 1 and 2, Today fm, Radio na Gaeltechta, Lyric, and Newstalk (which is about the best of them imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

Thanks for the useful responses.

Anything that gets us closer to new team members is much appreciated.

http://www.facebook.com/IrishSideOfTheMoon

Advertisement