If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround Sound System

Options
  • 01-06-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭

Hi, long time lurker here, i have been biding my time looking for the perfect home theatre system. The room is only 8' x 8' so i don't need the loudest system in the world. I have had my current cheap 5.1 system for 8 years and its done a good job but definitely in need of replacement at this stage.

I have a price range of €300 to €400 in mind but i might stretch a little higher for the perfect system and was looking at these two systems:

ONKYO HT-S3305
    ONKYO HT-S5305

But as per usual i kept looking and now i'm thinking about an amp with support for 1080p upscaling:

So I was wondering what sort of deal you could do on the ONKYO TXSR578 + speaker set.

The ONKYO TX-SR608 looks amazing but seems a bit of my price range, so i am thinking the TXSR578 might be the perfect fit. If you have another recommendation please feel free, i am terribly indecisive atm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Parawind.

The 578 would be the best option for the price given that you need the 1080p upscaling.

The speakers that come in the Onkyo packs are fairly good, but obviously you can get better.

Was there any particular speakers that grabbed your attention ?

The most popular speaker pack that we have going out with the Onkyo's at the moment, is the Monitor Audio Vector pack and I could do you a really good price on this pack with the Onkyo if you were interested.

I know this is more than you were looking at, but trust me, you'll love it.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

The Monitor Audio Vector Pack looks like it would be a great set to go with the 578 but judging by the price of the speaker set it would be quite a bit above my budget.

What kind of price could you do on the 578 + Monitor Audio Vector Pack?

Then i'll see how far i can stretch my budget, if i can't stretch to it how much of a step down would the Tannoy SFX Compact 5.1 Home Theatre be?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Parawind,.

The Tannoy SFX pack would be a big drop down as the Vectors retail around £500!!! Don't get me wrong the Tannoy is an excellent little pack but not in the same league as the Vectors ;)

The best price I could offer on the 578 and Vector pack would be £669.90 inc delivery. (This would not include any cables).

I could also offer the 608 and the vector pack for Just £699.90 :D

Total bargin on these two setups!!!

Yeah thats what i thought, thats just way above my price range.

So i guess i can live without the upscaling, but would i be better off getting a cheaper amp with the Monitor Audio Vector Pack or the same amp with a cheaper speaker set?

What about this as an insane package for you.

Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 pack and the Pioneer VSX819 for £499.95 with £11.99 delivery. :cool:

Going for a lower spec amp will drop out your True HD for Blu ray.

You could indeed go for the original Onkyo HT-S5305 priced at £399.95.

Although I do think the Vector and Pioneer for the extra £100 would sound fantastic. :)

• Advertisement

The Pioneer VSX819 doesn't seem to have great reviews, i notice the Onkyo TX-SR308 is around the same price and i would have a preference for the Onkyo.

Could you do the Onkyo + Monitor Audio Vector Pack for a similar price?

Or how much would you sell the Monitor Audio Vector Pack for on its own so i can do some calculations?

The very best price I could offer on the Onkyo 308 and Vector Pack would be £539.90 plus dellivery.

However we will not be seeing any more of the Onkyo 308 until the end of June :(

The Vector Pack by itself is priced at £399.95 but i can offer it at £349.95.

hmm the 308 and vector pack seems like it would be the right choice for me, but my impatient nature makes me want to have a new system for the world cup.

Any other recommendations that might sway me to buy now or should i wait?

Hey ParaWind.

Sorry for the delay.

I'm off on my Holidays at the moment until next Thursday.
    I'm in covering today as we are a little short staffed at the moment.

I can't think of any others I could offer instead of the 308. Although I could do the Onkyo 508 and the vector pack for £629.95.

If the 508 does not suit and you can wait then we can get 308 at the end of June.

Right seen as how the price difference between the different amps is so little i'm going to bite the bullet and go for the 608 + vector pack.

I would need a pair of speaker stands for the rear speakers, so do you have any to fit the speaker set?

Also if i was to go for an extra pair for v10s how much would that come to? (God i'm terrible)

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Parawind wrote: »
    Right seen as how the price difference between the different amps is so little i'm going to bite the bullet and go for the 608 + vector pack.

I would need a pair of speaker stands for the rear speakers, so do you have any to fit the speaker set?

Also if i was to go for an extra pair for v10s how much would that come to? (God i'm terrible)

Para,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - just chasing up 'loose threads' - has anyone got back to you - if not just drop me a post / PM / mail and I'll reply by return and get you sorted - we have pretty much everything available from stock..

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.