Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need advice, been offered 2 postgrad courses

Options
  • 01-06-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice as I really don't know what to do. Basically I have been offered 2 postgrad courses. The first is a Masters in Equality studies. The second is a postgrad dip in Child & Adolescent mental health. There is an opportunity to go ahead with the second to train as a psychotherapist.

I'm really confused as to what to do. With todays climate which would be better to do? What would you do?

I have a baby too so I really need to make the right choice for our future. I'm just hoping someone can give me advice because at the moment I dont know what to do.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Maybe cross post in the psychology forum if you want feedback on the mental health course or psychotherapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

lolli wrote: »
    The first is a Masters in Equality studies.

Calling a spade a spade, will that get you a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

OP - go for the one you think you would enjoy the most.

no guarantee now that you will get a job at the end of this or any other postgrad.

lolli wrote: »
    The second is a postgrad dip in Child & Adolescent mental health. There is an opportunity to go ahead with the second to train as a psychotherapist.

I'm really confused as to what to do. With todays climate which would be better to do? What would you do?

I have a baby too so I really need to make the right choice for our future. I'm just hoping someone can give me advice because at the moment I dont know what to do.

Thanks!

on reading your post a 2nd time ..

go for the postgrad dip.

opportunity to train as a psychotherapist. there is a employment path at the end of this course...
    what if any employment path/opportunities are available to you at the end of Equality studies other than further study ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

on reading your post a 2nd time ..

go for the postgrad dip.

opportunity to train as a psychotherapist. there is a employment path at the end of this course...
    what if any employment path/opportunities are available to you at the end of Equality studies other than further study ?

Actually from the sounds of that, it's not an employment path, it's a further-training path, opportunity to train as a psychotherapist rather than a qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Same situation with me!!

I think it comes down to what course will provide the best opportunity for employment when u graduate, more than what course you will enjoy doing! (thats just my personal opinion BTW)

Just outweigh all the pros & cons of each & hopefully you'll see the light.

Best wishes with the choice...

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    Same situation with me!!

I think it comes down to what course will provide the best opportunity for employment when u graduate, more than what course you will enjoy doing! (thats just my personal opinion BTW)

Just outweigh all the pros & cons of each & hopefully you'll see the light.

Best wishes with the choice...

be careful if you are doing a course to provide employment opportunity at the end... perhaps speak to an employer and ask them if by you doing the course would it make them more likely to hire you... don't assume that it will.

you might be better to take a WPP job ( and possibly doing the course P/T )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

On the surface they both sound as useful or unuseful as the other. You need to sit down, look at the different options, and try to create opportunities. For instance I can see how the equality studies might be used to apply to management positions, HR, conflict resolutions, Trade Unions, etc. Are those jobs what you're interested in though? On the other hand I see a lot of HSE positions related to the second option. But would you get a job in the near future assuming the hiring freeze continues? Imo most of the time you aren't going to get a job that has exactly the same title as your BA or MA, you need to start searching around to see what it relates to and what you're interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Thanks a million to everyone for the advice.

Going to think about it for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Also worth checking out job ads for the job(s) you eventually want to do to see what their requirements are. Good luck with the decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

pow wow wrote: »
    Also worth checking out job ads for the job(s) you eventually want to do to see what their requirements are. Good luck with the decision.

Thank you will do. Think my decision might have been made for me.. my partner as been told his losing his managerial position, he'll still have a job but on lower money. We are supposed to building a house soon so I may just see now whats going on with his job.

Advertisement