Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice pub close to ocean with good oysters

Options
  • 01-06-2010 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi. I am going to try oysters with my friends from Poland and was wondering where to go. We were thinking about somewhere close to ocean, with nice views not to far from Galway to get a full experience!
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Morans of the Weir is only out the road near Kilcolgan. Lovely Oysters and the Guinness is good too :D

Just to add: http://www.galwaynews.ie/13164-over-93m-get-view-galway
    They are only doing a one hour show and they included it.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

O'Grady's at the end of the pier in Barna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

Thank you. We will try to check both! :)

Very famous polish chef was talking only good about irish food in Galway on his tv program. He was very very convincing when recommending your tradditional stews, chowders and first of all fish and oysters! Me and my husband we love guinness and good irish breakfast from time to time (very calorific) and we discovered fresh ocean fishes on barbeque recenty (heaven), but never tryed oysters! I am slightly worried if they dont taste like something between snail and fish.. ;) but I just have to try!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

dafunk wrote: »
    O'Grady's at the end of the pier in Barna.

This place is fantastic for nice ocean view and sea food.

• Advertisement

Columc wrote: »
    This place is fantastic for nice ocean view and sea food.

-I checked their website -looks good and interesting menu!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Good news, all the reccomendations you got are great.

Bad news, it's not oyster season.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Good news, all the reccomendations you got are great.

Bad news, it's not oyster season.

Good to know! How much does it matter? Are they more expensive or taste worse and when is the oyster season!?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Never eat an oyster unless the month has an 'r' in it i.e.

January, February, March, April, September, October, November, December

If you value your bowels.

soundbyte wrote: »

-will have to wait.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

soundbyte wrote: »

Apparently not true.

Folklore says that oysters should be eaten only in months with "r's" in them—September, October, etc. Maestro S.V.P. educates people that oysters can be eaten 12 months a year. The notion that oysters should not be eaten in "r"-less months—that is, months that occur during warm weather—may have started in the days when oysters where shipped without adequate refrigeration and could spoil. But today all that has changed and we can enjoy oysters twelve months a year.

dafunk wrote: »
    Apparently not true.

Folklore says that oysters should be eaten only in months with "r's" in them—September, October, etc. Maestro S.V.P. educates people that oysters can be eaten 12 months a year. The notion that oysters should not be eaten in "r"-less months—that is, months that occur during warm weather—may have started in the days when oysters where shipped without adequate refrigeration and could spoil. But today all that has changed and we can enjoy oysters twelve months a year.

-That would be great, but what about ocean water? Isn't it wormer itself? Maybe thats why its better to eat them when its cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TrevorNelson

The place where Maklowicz was tasting oysters was Moran's in Kilcolgan :) Lovely place and very close to Galway.

Thank you. :) Are you Polish or you just watch polish tv? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

You would also love Linnane's pub, New Quay (between Kinvara and Ballyvaughan). They serve oysters in season, but you may be advised to call them before you go. All their seafood is great and quite reasonably priced, and the service is really friendly. The restaurant has a nice view over the pier and Aughinish Island.
    If you were making a day of it, there is a lovely walk nearby along the Flaggy Shore.

Sounds good. Thanks :)

Advertisement