Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a restaurant in Kilkenny?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Trying to decide where to eat out at the weekend, and as I don't eat out very often in Kilkenny I thought I'd post here.

Anyone care to recommend somewhere, or offer warnings on where to avoid?

Looking for an early bird as I'm going to a gig at 7:30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

You can't beat Ripley's TBH. There's a great choice for early bird meals too.
    I recently was in Little Italy and whilst the price was very fair and the food was fantastic I found the choice was fairly limited.

I recommend booking in advance also, particularly for weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 selena27

If you like oriental cuisine I highly recommend VINDEES near Johns Bridge(beautiful,spacious interior as well) and Royal Spice on Patrick Street. For more traditional dishes try Cafe Sol in one of the lanes off High Street

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Maybe myself and the above poster have different taste but I just think it's fair to say that I find Ripley's to be far and away the worst eating out experience in town. But I accept that some people do like it. I've had two horrible experiences in there and I'm definitely not alone in that regard. It's pretty much the last place I'd recommend.

I would recommend Key Largo for a good mix of cuisine at good prices. Royal Spice on Patrick Street is a fantastic Indian restauraunt. Lombardi's on Parliament Street would be my (reasonable) Italian of choice and Cafe Sol in also great quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Joes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

My personal choices would be Lautrec's, Zuni or Rinuccini- with my favourite being Rinuccini. It's kind of expensive but their early bird is good value I think. Oh I'm hungry now & really want to go there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Just had lunch in Rinuccinis :)
    I like the place a lot for lunch.. never overly mad about it for dinner out but there you go.
    My favourite (rare) eating out experience is Campagne for an early bird on Saturday evening (<6:30 kick off) followed by a few drinks in the Left Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

have had 3 meals in ripleys, 2 excellent, one really bad.

have heard little italy is the place to go presently

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Thanks for all the replies, decided to go to Rinuccini's, the early bird seems to be good value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Threadhead wrote: »
    Lombardi's on Parliament Street would be my (reasonable) Italian of choice and Cafe Sol in also great quality.

Isn't it called something else now. If you are talking about going at the weekend you mentioned an early bird but most places only do them Mon to Fri, some do them on fri night but you'd have to ask. Little italy on john St. great value for eating, if you like Italian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

zootroid wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, decided to go to Rinuccini's, the early bird seems to be good value

Its prob the best, it or Zuni . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

CHez Pierre on Parliment Street... Amazing but a bit pricey(totally worth it IMO). I save up to eat there. And then my partner and I dream about it for a few weeks:D
    Can't beat Zuni for lunch

Chez Pierre, but for Saturday morning breakfast... mmmmmm
    Or a lunch special either if you didn't get up in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

I'd reccomend La Rivista (used to be Lombardis) in Parliament St.
    Little Italy Is the place to eat now but I can't tell the difference really between the food in Little Italy and rivista. La Rivista is bigger so your more litly to get a table I'd imagine.

pertinax wrote: »
    I'd reccomend La Rivista (used to be Lombardis) in Parliament St.
    Little Italy Is the place to eat now but I can't tell the difference really between the food in Little Italy and rivista. La Rivista is bigger so your more litly to get a table I'd imagine.

I have to agree with that statement, La Rivista is really fantastic. It's one of the best eateries in town. Certainly a major step up from the overpriced, cramped and overrated Italian restaurant across the street from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Is Himalayan Spice still open? I had the best lamb saag I've ever eaten there.

Wouldn't be too keen on Little Italy - they over-cook their pasta (which doesn't bother me too much but that is something that they should be able to get right).

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Went to Runiccini recently, what a disappointment. Put in corridor out the back and meal was just OK, service too quick eben though we kept asking for more time, food just all right. Spent quite a bit of time in Italy and it certainly does not echo proper Italian fine dining. Its probably catering to its market here though.

The last time I was in there I was put in a corridor too. Suffice to say, I haven't been back.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Threadhead wrote: »
    The last time I was in there I was put in a corridor too. Suffice to say, I haven't been back.
    Wont be back myself, anybody recommend elsewhere to eat, dont mind paying but just want good food and service to match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Last time I was in Rinuccinis I thought the service and food was very good.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Glenalla wrote: »
    Wont be back myself, anybody recommend elsewhere to eat, dont mind paying but just want good food and service to match.
    Zuni? I have heard great things about Campagne but have never been.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

zootroid wrote: »
    Trying to decide where to eat out at the weekend, and as I don't eat out very often in Kilkenny I thought I'd post here.

Anyone care to recommend somewhere, or offer warnings on where to avoid?

Looking for an early bird as I'm going to a gig at 7:30

Personally I've always recommended Lautrecs and I've never had bad feedback . May need to book.

I've heard the most amazing things about Campagne but I've never been either. Nationally, it seems to be the most highly rated of Kilkenny restauraunts.

I've always found Zuni to be good quality too. Been to Lautrecs once and it was fairly decent. Anytime I walk by recently, it's jammed.

I've been to Campagne 3 or 4 times and each time it has been excellent. I'd advise to go for an early bird which I think they do until 6:30 on a Saturday? I know they are fairly strict on the time so I wouldn't be late :) Good value way of checking it out.

I was in Chez Pierre twice recently.. great place on a Saturday morning or for lunch... love it. That said, I've only ever had an evening dinner there once and for whatever reason I don't tend to consider it as a potential evening venue... next time I get out maybe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Btr wrote: »
    Personally I've always recommended Lautrecs and I've never had bad feedback . May need to book.

Wasnt great the last time I was there, but that was a good time ago, I think there are new owners now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I would feel a lot more at ease at Chez Pierre if the namesake made more of an effort to conceal his utter contempt for his customers.

Lovely food though. Really nice. I just hate giving him money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Wasnt great the last time I was there, but that was a good time ago, I think there are new owners now.

Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

Has anybody tried Chez Michelle yet on John St?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Glenalla wrote: »
    Went to Runiccini recently, what a disappointment. Put in corridor out the back and meal was just OK, service too quick eben though we kept asking for more time, food just all right. Spent quite a bit of time in Italy and it certainly does not echo proper Italian fine dining. Its probably catering to its market here though.

I noticed that when I was there too, it's really off-putting.

I went there for the early bird, had pate to start, and the fillet steak. Steak was lovely, but it was served with cauliflower! They definitely could have thought of something better to serve it with.

Overall, it was good, but could certainly be better. I wouldn't be in a rush to go back there. I'd much prefer to try a few other restaurants that have been recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

Has anybody tried Chez Michelle yet on John St?

To reply to my own question, I passed it today and it was "closed for reservations". I looked in and there were accounts documents on the table...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Closed for reservations or closed for renovations?

I hate to see such a new business cease to trade so soon, but really, how many resturaunts are there in Kilkenny? Was there really a huge gap in the market for another?

Advertisement