Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android VS Windows mobile

Options
  • 01-06-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

What are peoples pros and cons about both OS'? i'm asking because i'm looking at getting a HTC diamond touch 2 which uses Windows however i've heard a lot of good things about Android and i would have to spend a bit more to get an android phone but if it's really that good i may wait a bit and save some more...

reactions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Android is growing exponentially and windows mobile, while it has been out a while, will be supplanted later this year by Windows phone 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

No comparison - maybe win phone 7 maybe comparable but that wont be out for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

so if i put off buying a new phone till say october, would i get windows 7 phone as standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Maybe - hard to tell. It will be released in 2010, that is the only definite date set.

Me personally - no i would not wait as even when it comes it will only be on par with android or iphone current gens - no where near the ones which will be out along by then - and that is with the handicap of fewer apps.

But its up to you.

so you'd reccomend geting the windows phone in oct? is updating it to windows 7 phone gonna be a big deal if i do it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Nekro Man wrote: »
    ........ is updating it to windows 7 phone gonna be a big deal if i do it?

Apparently the Hd2 won't be upgradable to Windows Mobile 7.

IWithout having much experience of either operating system i'd suggest that Android is likely to have more frequent updates, and a greater range of FREE Applications than Windows Mobile.

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

i have my eye on the diamond touch 2 which is windows, the only other decent android model on expanys is €500 which is a bit out of my price range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

^ I think Expansys have a reputation for being a bit pricey(?).

You might get a better deal elsehwere(?)

yeah? any sugestions? i'll need a htc unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Android all the way. Market share has jumped big time over the course of the year and ver 2.2 looks awesome.

Windows Phone 7 series is not due till the end of the year, looks messy and uninspired and is not compatible with older handsets.

• Advertisement

any suggestions where to get an android HTC cheaper than xpansys? unlocked that is, and i have no intention of going to a bill pay any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Venom wrote: »
    Android all the way. Market share has jumped big time over the course of the year and ver 2.2 looks awesome.

Windows Phone 7 series is not due till the end of the year, looks messy and uninspired and is not compatible with older handsets.

I'm a huge android fan myself and have one but looking at the windows 7 Dev discussions it's clear to me that it Erik give both android and apple a good run for their money.

One thing that ms does best is developer tools for UI which is crucial for mobile phone development. I'd expect windows7 apps to set a new standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully I would probably wait for the HTC wildfire if I was you (due end of next month), yes it won't have all the bells and whistles of the desire but at it's price point it is probably your best bet.

truthfully I can't see the price point of Win 7 devices being in your range when they come out so I wouldn't wait around for them.

I know you don't want to go bill pay but still check out the desire on meteor or 3 as it may end up costing not too much more over a year and you get a much better phone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

What are peoples pros and cons about both OS'? i'm asking because i'm looking at getting a HTC diamond touch 2 which uses Windows however i've heard a lot of good things about Android and i would have to spend a bit more to get an android phone but if it's really that good i may wait a bit and save some more...

reactions?

actually have a look at this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055927061

I'm a huge android fan myself and have one but looking at the windows 7 Dev discussions it's clear to me that it Erik give both android and apple a good run for their money.

One thing that ms does best is developer tools for UI which is crucial for mobile phone development. I'd expect windows7 apps to set a new standard.

Well Google just recruited the main Palm OS developer for Android so I would expect the default Android UI to get a major overhaul in the very near future.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've been using the HD2 for about three weeks now. It really is beautiful phone. I find Windows Mobile to be great for my needs. I was originally waiting for the Desire on Three but their ship date which always seemed to be two weeks away whenever I asked was annoying.To me the decision came down to which web services I use most. My personal email is a Hotmail account. As they still do not offer Exchange ActiveSync (email and calendar pushed to your phone) which is due to come this year and I use Windows Live Messenger to IM my friends. I found that Windows was the way to go.

The HD2 is extremely responsive and I would classify it as the ultimate Windows Mobile phone. The only thing it lacks is a comprehensive marketplace, but most of my time is spent reading web content anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

so you'd reccomend geting the windows phone in oct? is updating it to windows 7 phone gonna be a big deal if i do it?

best thing about windows mobile that they have XDA...there are tons of upgrades ( HD2 probably so will all other phones that are able for it with their hardware will have a windows 7 port weather its official or unofficial ;) )mods and apps being developed for windows mobile...its the same with android but not as much devs working on them...though android has a big app market if your an app freak ;)

HTC Sense is great though

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

The window phone 7 OS has a minimum spec so upgrading may be problem if your older phone is underspec. Also windows phone 7 is does not handle multi-tasking like Andriod so you can't have app's running in the background (as least not third party ones), e.g. if you're running a third party app that needs to doing something like upload/download from network and you switch to another app or a take call or whatever the upload/download will not continue in the background!

The window phone 7 OS has a minimum spec so upgrading may be problem if your older phone is underspec. Also windows phone 7 is does not handle multi-tasking like Andriod so you can't have app's running in the background (as least not third party ones), e.g. if you're running a third party app that needs to doing something like upload/download from network and you switch to another app or a take call or whatever the upload/download will not continue in the background!

im sure there will be an app developed for mapping one hardware key or some screen gesture to make multi tasking ;)

im sure there will be an app developed for mapping one hardware key or some screen gesture to make multi tasking ;)

Iv never heard of any app that could alter a phones OS to such a huge degree.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    Iv never heard of any app that could alter a phones OS to such a huge degree.

visited XDA lately or HTCpedia? theres tons of developers there and they always manage to come up with new ideas and ways to make your phone experience easier and better :) thats why i like WinMo theres so many indie developers working and they dont charge a thing, but i donated, hapes of other people do too :) ...well just have to wait for WP7 and see what that brings us ;)

i think if you can run two OS's on a phone you can do anything :) theres one rom developers group that i love...their working on prestige rom and their basicly breaking the limits what you can do with WinMo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 waterdale33

Htc desire Is a good phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It's quite hard to discern which is better, Android or the current Windows Mobile OS, since HTC have made the Windows Mobile UI almost unrecognisable with its Sense UI, thereby making the overall experience more positive; the HTC HD2 is a prime example. Currently, I would say Android is the better OS, given that it has more to offer with its most recent update, 2.2, and more still with its subsequent updates.

With that said, Windows Phone 7 may surprise us all, when launched towards the end of the year, but with Microsoft going down the Apple route of a closed and heavily guarded OS, it may prove more resourceful to jailbreak, route, etc that OS in order to receive the functionality that would be required.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Like I said earlier, it really depends on usage. Windows Mobile is great if you mostly consume web content and use web services. XDA is a great resource.

One thing to watch with Android is the OS Update strategy. The plain Google phones (Nexus One etc...) get the updates really quickly. They have just announced Android 2.2 (Froyo) its going to take some time for the update to trickle down to the manufacturers. HTC seem to be pretty on the ball, Sony Ericsson's Experia X10 is still running Android 1.6 and they plan to release 2.1 in Q4 this year. So if you do go Android then pick your manufacturer closely if you want to stay on the bleeding edge.

Advertisement