Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New surround sound advise please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

fox007 wrote: »
    Hi I'm in the markert for a surround system need to replace my old one I have found these two. This Sony http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2882902/art/sony/dav-dz280-5-1-dvd-divx-hd.html to replace my old system or this Phillips one http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2694228/art/philips/hts3020-12-home-cinema-sy.html#tech-specs I want to hook up my sky HD box and ps3 to the unit,also my budget is very limited to 170 max. If you have a different system to reconmend please do or tell me what you think of either of the above cheers

Anyone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Typically those DVD based surround sound systems only offer one input method, an audio Left/Right input. That'll be only stereo in from one device only.
    I'm not sure what cables come with the PS3, but I'd assume you have it connected to the TV via HDMI. Not sure if the analog cables of the PS3 can be used at the same time. The Sky HD box also has different outputs depending on the actual model.
    Your only hope is if your TV has a left/right audio output that can pass the sound to the surround sound. I don't think there are many TV's like that though, any that do have a sound output have it as an optical out or coax out.

Ok I bought an lg ht305su surround sound system. I connected it up to my Phillips HD tv via scart lead then my sky HD box is connected via hdmi to my tv but it's not producing 5.1 I'm only getting sound on the front two speakers? When I play a DVD in the player I'm getting 5.1 sound anyone help me out on this. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Best advice is check the user manual section on connecting external devices.

You need one of the following to get Dolby Digital 5.1 from your SkyHD:
    • A [HDMI IN] socket
    • A [DIGITAL OPTICAL IN] socket

If you only have [SCART IN] and/or [2CH LINE IN] you'll be limited to stereo.

DVDs will work because the digital audio is decoded internally and then sent to the speakers.

There is only a hdmi out connection on the back of the lg ht305su receiver system. So I think it's not going to work is there anything else I can try different cabels?

• Advertisement

Lads can someone help me on this problem. I bought a lg ht305su DVD receiver system. When I go into the menu to set up the surround sound it sends a noise to each speaker center left rear etc but when I try and play a DVD I'm only getting sound from the front 2 speakers. I'm at a loss here don't know what to do if I had the box off it I would just bring it back but I threw out the box. Can someone please help me out on this cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Firstly make sure the DVD has a 5.1 soundtrack, and dont assume it will auto play the 5,1 soundtrack, you may need to choose Dolby Digital 5.1 from the DVD Disk menu that you are trying (audio settings from the menu). If you are confident that that is the case, when playing is there anything on the LCD panel of the DVD player to suggest what the codec is, i.e. Dolby Digital, Stereo, Pro Logic etc? Also try within the DVD player audio playback settings that it is set to bitstreamed. I'm sure it's probably just a config issue ;)

Sorry, I just read this back, if you only have one HDMI connection at the back, this must/should go from the DVD player to the TV. You can connect your Sky Box using the Scart to the TV, and connect an optical cable from the sky box to the DVD player. If it doesn't have an optical connection you are snookered I think with regard the sky box!

I am a dope. OK You have a Sky HD box. Stick to what I said, but this system does not have an optical or HDMI in, so in affect, will only play your DVD's in 5.1. HDMI from DVD player to TV and separate HDMI from Sky Box to TV. Unfortunately at that price connectivity is going to be very limited! Sorry to burst your bubble!!

I am a dope. OK You have a Sky HD box. Stick to what I said, but this system does not have an optical or HDMI in, so in affect, will only play your DVD's in 5.1. HDMI from DVD player to TV and separate HDMI from Sky Box to TV. Unfortunately at that price connectivity is going to be very limited! Sorry to burst your bubble!!

Yep your right I will do more research in future. Went back up the shop where I bought my surround sound system as I walked in the door there was a couple recycling a Sony surround sound unit. so I ask the guy what was up with it he said it didn't look well in his house it was silver his tv etc was black! Any way it took the fiber optical cabel brought it home sniped a few wires result sky HD in 5.1 for the price of the cabel. Few thank god it worked out in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement