Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midwifery at ucd?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hiya, I'm considering doing a midwifery course so could any current students answer these few Qs? Do you enjoy the course and would you recommend it? What are class sizes like? Is the quality of teaching good? If you're terrified of public speaking then is there help available or are you just thrown in at the deep end?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Is it the direct entry or post-graduate course you are looking at doing?

I did the post-grad course so can answer questions on that.

I enjoyed the course, but it wouldn't be for everybody. You have to really want to be a midwife as its such a demanding and dedicated profession. If your heart is not in it, it will have a negative effect on you and the women and families you meet during their pregnancies and labour.

My class size was 25 I think, not sure about the direct entry class sizes.

You'll be taught to a very high standard both academically and during your clinical placements. The National Maternity Hospital is the busiest hospital in Europe, so you'll see alot and gain a wealth of experience.

I don't think there is too much public speaking, but whatever you do as a career there will be a need to be able to give presentations. Its a part of life. Yes there is support if you look for it :)

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Hi There,

I have just finished first year - Direct Entry - Mature Student - feel free to pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 2 niamhyvix

Hi,

I know this thread is a year old now. Was just posting as I've just been accepted to the postgrad midwifery course. Crazy cat lady- how did you find it? I'm pretty nervous about starting in march as it's so different than anything I've done in nursing- I worked in an ID setting for a few years. I got accepted to National maternity hospital too. I was really shocked to get accepted because there were so many at the interview!! Can you tell me more about the course etc. Thanks a million :-)

Advertisement