Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying two comparatives - no go or calculated risk worth taking?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

So what would your opinion be on studying two of the texts in detail?
    I missed most of my third one don't have any notes or anything :(
    Was looking over the past years it seems like you could get away with just two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Victoria. wrote: »
    I'd get at least something in about the third, don't do it to as much depth as the first two but at least make some mention of it if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Yeah a short mention would help enormously. 2 texts is 'adequate' but it'd be much much harder to do well. See if anyone on this forum can help you out with your third text with at least a paragraph or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 loocas

Just shove it in, even just a brief paragraph take it from a "bare minimum" to "average" (at least!).

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Depends on what you want really. Like if you want at least a B I wouldn't risk it, unless you are incredible at english and really make a good answer out of two texts.
    As the others have said a few references would be better than nothing.
    You should try the internet if you are looking to learn the 3rd text but want to condense down the workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Hmmmmm...........
    most likely not really. I mean they could say to write about at least 2 but then what if they don't. Comparative is one of the questions with the most marks. Can you really take the risk?
    And even so, your essay will have to be exceptionally good because your only comparing two texts.
    What are your 3 texts and what are you thinking of leaving out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

I've been thinking a lot about the topic of "calculated-risk" with regards to English.

I have to say, if I was doing this course again I would just leave out the prescribed poetry question, the question is terrible value! Arguably the most work throughout the course for 50 marks??? I'd really advise a clever person to forget about it and spend more time on the comparative.

Reillyman wrote: »
    I've been thinking a lot about the topic of "calculated-risk" with regards to English.

I have to say, if I was doing this course again I would just leave out the prescribed poetry question, the question is terrible value! Arguably the most work throughout the course for 50 marks??? I'd really advise a clever person to forget about it and spend more time on the comparative.
    Not really an option if you're looking for a high grade tho! Poetry is fine once you don't freak out about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Not really an option if you're looking for a high grade tho! Poetry is fine once you don't freak out about it.

Well yeah but freaking out or not it's still a massive amount of work for very little marks, I mean the comprehension is 50 marks and you just make that up on the spot like! The work:reward is pure sh1te tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Reillyman wrote: »

Granted it is alot of time, for a reasonably crap amount of marks, but it still is 12.5% and you can't just blow it off.

Advertisement