Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you use pre-made loops?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

Good thread idea

I am definitely..and proudly... in the minority here

If you want to get really down to it..
    real drum breaks are made with 2 sticks in your hands and a bassdrum, hi hats and snare.

1. spending loads of time on a daw placing coloured dots here and there..all in the name of making your beat sound exactly like a premade loop..lol
    well thats just silly.
    and bull****

2. most idm beats are made with automatic beat choppers that just automatically sliced up a beat..in time.
    squarepusher being a huge offender there.

3. most producers nowadays are guilty of points 1&2..and then they go out to play "live" with a laptop....hitting spacebar on a premade set...
    and sadly...that is now acceptable to most people.

If you want to talk about charlatans and cheaters why not talk about that. I will never personally pay any attention to anyone using a laptop in a live setting...even if they did make their beats from single hit SAMPLES

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Laserface wrote: »
    Good thread idea

real drum breaks are made with 2 sticks in your hands and a bassdrum, hi hats and snare.

1. spending loads of time on a daw placing coloured dots here and there..all in the name of making your beat sound exactly like a premade loop..lol
    well thats just silly.
    and bull****

2. most idm beats are made with automatic beat choppers that just automatically sliced up a beat..in time.

3. most producers nowadays are guilty of points 1&2..and then they go out to play "live" with a laptop....hitting spacebar on a premade set...

If you want to talk about charlatans and cheaters why not talk about that. I will never personally pay any attention to anyone using a laptop in a live setting...even if they did make their beats from single hit SAMPLES
    Would have to disagree on point 2. For instance all of Squarepusher's best music and best work with the amen break was produced before there was automatic beat choppers, i.e 1990-96, in fact thats when alot of the best IDM was made. I do agree about live sets that are premade but I would hope thats not too common.
    Also point 1 is completely bizarre when you consider that this is an electronic music forum. When you really get down to it (as you say) electronic music producers are (most of the time) not trying to get a live drum feel, in fact alot of the time thats the opposite of what they want. Hence the term electronic music, i.e no hands or sticks involved! By the way who is trying to make their beat sound like a premade loop? Surely they're trying to make it sound like their own personal loop? Or if they're using premade loops they're trying to make them not sound like premade loops by using effects and processing to personalise it!
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Laserface wrote: »
    Good thread idea

well thats just silly.
    and bull****

On point 1 - that's misguided and you probably should talk/listen to more Dance music producers as it's not just about making loops at all. There's a lot deeper relation to the music above it and making things shape around them selves to make a homogeneous object. Some of the sounds may not even be a drum hit and part of the rhythm flow.

2. Haven't met one producer that does that - (I've met many)

3. Haven't met one producer that does that - (I've met many) - so sounds like you've surrounded yourself with fakers :) - jamming stuff live great fun - why would anyone just stand there?

Advertisement