Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First response

• 01-06-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi people.

I have a question that you may be able to help me with. My partner and I are trying to conceive.

She has done all the work re ovulation dates etc.. and has it down to a tee. So her next period is due this Friday and we got a little ahead of ourselves and did a test (First Response) on Sunday as it says it can pick up a positive result up to 6 days before your period is due. Anyway the test came up negative but not to worry we did do it a little early and were ok with that. Thing is the test comes in a pack of 2 so after dinner tonight (Tuesday ) we said we'd use the second one and if it is negative we in future will always wait untill the next period. Anyway we did the test and instead of being just one line the faintest of 2nd lines appeared. I say faint my partner says practically not there. It was very very faint but however it was there.

I guess my question is has anyone any experience with the first response test similar to this. Has anyone had a very very very faint line appear and not been pregnant?

Any advice would be great. Had this been our first test I would have it down as a negative but its just the first test was 100 percent just 1 line

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

I have buckets of experience with these tests.

two questions:

1) did the test line appear within the time limit (3 mins)?
    2) does the test line look pink or grey?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CelticH

Hi Detectivefox

If anything it was a very faint pink. I wouldn't have said grey at all. And yep it was there when we checked after the 3 mins.

What you thinking??

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I can't remember if it was first response I was using but I did a test a week before my period was due and was convinced there was the faintest line, it was so faint that my husband couldn't see it and thought it was just desperation on my part.

Did a test a few days later and there was a definate line. Megan is now almost 5 months old :)

Usually, if you follow the instructions properly and you get a positive, its a positive.

Congratulations :D

First Response have been known to cause 'evaps' (evaporation lines). Basically, the antibody strip on the test (where the test lines is situated) when drying can cause what appears to be a line. Usually the tell tale sign is that it is greyish (not pinkish). If there is even a hint of pink, as you say you saw, then congrats, seems it's not an evap. Grey lines usually appear after the time limit also.
    I had, what I thought, was a positive test last September, and was then devastated the next day and day after when tests came back negative.... googled it and discovered evaps.....

To be sure, I would recommend you get a Clear Blue Digital Test to back up your First response test. This will confirm (in writing!) that you are pregnant, and they now even have a 'Pregnancy Indicator' to tell you how far along you are.

Best baby wishes!!

Evap:
    normal_FRER1029evap.png

Faint Positive:
    dsc02125_2.jpg

Thanks a mill guys. Well got home today and tried another one and got the same again. If anything it was slightly darker. Still very faint mind you but we both agree it is darker!

Thanks for the advice detective fox. We will buy one of the digital ones in the next day or too :):)

• Advertisement

no prob, congrats again! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

The same thing happened to me - did the test a few days early, didnt trust it and did a digital one the following day - my son is 2 months old now...congratulations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sounds like you might be on to something alright. :) I'd recommend getting one of the digital ones. It just removed that sense of doubt we had in the past. It comes up "pregnant" or "not pregnant". Nice and simple. Just the way I like it. :D

OP here

Took all your advice guys and went digital. result = pregnant! woohoooo

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Congratulations to you both!! What a wanted baby this little guy or gal is - it's wonderful! You should print off this page and start a Memory Box for your wee one. Think of the fun he or she will get from it in years to come:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Thats a really good idea.

I still have all the Facebook comments my husband printed out and brought to me in the hospital when Megan was born :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congrats CelticH!

Excellent advice DetectivFoxtrot re: evaps

Advertisement