Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An odd question!

Options
  • 01-06-2010 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

We're going to be looking after my aunt's dog for a week. She's an 11yo King Charles with an enlarged heart. She nearly died last week and I'm slightly worried about what to do if she does die on us. Obviously we won't be blamed if she does, but my question is: What do we do with the dog if it does die? Put it in the freezer? Bury it in our garden? Keep it in a bin bag?

This is a serious question, I love animals and we've no idea what to do, and theres a very high chance of her dying soon. Any useful advice is very helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

The question should be put to your Aunt - ask her would she like the vet to dispose of her dog, or would she like to be able to bury it herself.
    Freezer & bin bag are (no offence) rather silly suggestions.

Usually you can get the vet to dispose of the body, if you don't wish to bury it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

star-pants wrote: »
    The question should be put to your Aunt - ask her would she like the vet to dispose of her dog, or would she like to be able to bury it herself.

Usually you can get the vet to dispose of the body, if you don't wish to bury it yourself.

I understand, but chances are the dog won't be put down, it'll simply die. If the aunt wants to bury it herself (most likely option), she won't be back for a week or two. How to we store it until then? That's why I mentioned the freezer, I didn't mean it as a joke. We can't just leave it lying around.

I really can't imagine it's remotely hygienic to put a dead dog in the freezer amongst other issues.

Ask your aunt can you bury it should the worst happen, she can't honestly expect you to be able to keep a deceased dog somewhere until she returns. You can ask where she'd like it and ye can bury it there if/when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Most vets do a service where the dog can be cremated, either with other animals(the cheaper option) or alone so you can have the ashes, which come in a nice box. This is about €200 for a small dog but could be wrong, ask the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

You could ask the vet if they'll store the body in their freezer for a few days, and then your aunt can make the decision. They might do that maybe, but you may have to pay them. You can just say that you're minding the dog and you don't know if the owner wants them to dispose of it or not.

But it's only for a week so hopefully she'll be ok.

Can't you just wait and see if it does happen, and if it does then you can call your aunt and discuss it? Or ask her if she has any plans on what to do with the body when she dies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Its not really to be honest. A freezer is the perfect place to preserve its body until your aunt comes home and decides what she wants to do (bury,cremation or pay local vet to dispose of body). A big chest freezer would be ideal, obviously well wrapped and away from food.

Ask your aunt if cremation is an option and all you'll have to do is bring it to the vet and theyll do the rest.

Its illegal to bury an animal in the garden btw, doesnt stop alot of people but just so you know.

Horrible as this may sound,my dog was pts in my apartment during the snow in january and as it was too dangerous to drive,she was kept on the balcony(in a box) until i could get her to the post mortem freezer in work. Horrible i know,but it was literally the best way of preserving her body until it was safe to drive on the roads. She was cremated then by this company for around €130. I got her ashes back in a simple scatter tube but there are much more expensive options as you can see in their list.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Its not really to be honest. A freezer is the perfect place to preserve its body until your aunt comes home and decides what she wants to do (bury,cremation or pay local vet to dispose of body). A big chest freezer would be ideal, obviously well wrapped and away from food.

Apologies I hadn't meant it in a dismissive way - just a freezer, as you said - it'd have to be done very carefully for hygiene and proper storage (of dog) purposes so the dog wouldn't decompose. Just if it was an off the cuff solution without thought it wouldn't be the best idea unless done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Apologies I hadn't meant it in a dismissive way - just a freezer, as you said - it'd have to be done very carefully for hygiene and proper storage (of dog) purposes so the dog wouldn't decompose.
    Ah yeh i know and the whole scenario is awful to think about but its actually the best solution rather than leaving the dog out in the shed for 4 or 5 days.That will not be pretty :eek:

The dogs chances of dying when your aunt is away is high so sort out a plan of action with her before she goes. It will save any unpleasantness for yourself. You dont want her coming home to a decomposing animal.:o

Advertisement