Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westhighland Terrier (White)

Options
  • 01-06-2010 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I am thinking of buying a westie but just today someone told me they are high maintenance ie. they are actually an albino dog and many of them have skin problems. Can anyone enlighten me further.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I am by no means an expert on Westies, never owned one. However, have a few friends who have them and yes, they can have skin problems. I don't know why you've put white at the end of the title, Westies only come in white. As far as I know they are not albinos, maybe you should do a little bit more research before you get one:o

Maureen Byrne runs a rescue for Westies, and is very knowledgeable about them, maybe contact her for information. http://www.westierescue.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

If you buy from a reputable breeder you'll be able to see the parents and this way ensure that the dog you buy will more than likely have good skin. Thankfully, I've been really lucky with my Westie his skin is perfect but he's got a proper diet and that can also be a factor in their skin. They have the most unbelieveable character and can be headstrong so you have to be prepared to play bad cop a lot when training, its far too easy to give into those big eyes :) That said, he's the best friend me and the OH have, we have him 2 years today and every day with him has been a complete treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Jennymac wrote: »
    they are actually an albino dog and many of them have skin problems..

Westies aren't albinos, they have pigment in their eyes and skin. They are famed for having skin problems but as with any pedigree dogs you would be interested in, arm yourself with enough information to be aware of what to look for and ask a breeder to find a health puppy, free (as is possible) of genetic problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jennymac

Thanks so much to all of you for the advice.I was very impressed with the Westie Rescue website , didn't know a thing about this breed having had a golden labrador and a red setter in the past. Going to contact Maureen to ask her advice re reputable breeders and in fact, may adopt a rescue Westie if I'm found suitable. I didn't realise that the Westie is one of the most common breeds bred on puppy farms, however, I was amazed at how many Westie pups were for sale on Donedeal.ie. Thankfully now I have a little more insight into what I need to do. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Weaties are not albinos.They also only come in white.Like all dogs they have health problems.Make sure you go to a reputable breeder ,or try the breed rescue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

I own a westie yes they are known to have skin problems if bathed too much
    once a month is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

freind of mine had a westie,

wouldnt call them high maintenance at all

It only ever neaded to go to the vet once its whole life after it got its injections etc.lived to the ripe old age of 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Westies aren't albinos! They also only come in white! I used to have one a few years back, he was a mischievously little guy but not high maintenance. He had a few skin problems alright suffered from dry skin poor thing. I left him at my sister's house for a day and he got out to the road and got knocked down. I miss him he was so adorable. Make sure you get all the info you need off the vet and you should be set.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

We're getting a Westie pup next week, this is making me nervous :eek:

IvySlayer wrote: »
    We're getting a Westie pup next week, this is making me nervous :eek:

Don't be nervous!! Not every dog has skin problems and they are definitely not high maintenance you just have to get them used to grooming and being brushed from the very start. You've a lot of fun-filled weeks ahead of you, I'm jealous. Miss the puppy days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jennymac

Thanks for the contributions everyone. since I last posted a thread I have learnt that most Westies which are advertised on the internet ( donedeal.ie) and others are most likely from puppy farms. I got this information from someone who knows, she runs a Westie rescue centre and the stories she tells are horrendous. She told me that many of these pups are interbred and often have serious congenital diseases. I am not anxious about the Westie skin problems after some research, I now know that dry skin etc. is easily and cheaply treated. I have applied to 'adopt' a rescue Westie now. They usually are between 1-3 years and come neutered, vaccinated, wormed, house trained and mannerly. I was amazed to find out that there is a dedicated Westie rescue centre in the North East, this just shows what a problem there is with overbreeding in puppyfarms. I suppose the moral of this story is to really know where your pup is coming from, ask all the questions and be satisfied before you hand over any money and remember that there are many many rescue Westies just waiting for a loving home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Jennymac wrote: »
    Thanks for the contributions everyone. since I last posted a thread I have learnt that most Westies which are advertised on the internet ( donedeal.ie) and others are most likely from puppy farms. I got this information from someone who knows, she runs a Westie rescue centre and the stories she tells are horrendous. She told me that many of these pups are interbred and often have serious congenital diseases. I am not anxious about the Westie skin problems after some research, I now know that dry skin etc. is easily and cheaply treated. I have applied to 'adopt' a rescue Westie now. They usually are between 1-3 years and come neutered, vaccinated, wormed, house trained and mannerly. I was amazed to find out that there is a dedicated Westie rescue centre in the North East, this just shows what a problem there is with overbreeding in puppyfarms. I suppose the moral of this story is to really know where your pup is coming from, ask all the questions and be satisfied before you hand over any money and remember that there are many many rescue Westies just waiting for a loving home.

Thats brilliant, well done for going the rescue route. Maureen is fantastic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Don't be nervous!! Not every dog has skin problems and they are definitely not high maintenance you just have to get them used to grooming and being brushed from the very start. You've a lot of fun-filled weeks ahead of you, I'm jealous. Miss the puppy days.

You can do the toilet training if you like :D I'll handle the cuddles and playing!

Jennymac fair play to you for going to Maureen. I've emailed her in the past for advice when I was having some discipline issues, she was brilliant and she does fantastic work. I'm biased but it's Westies all the way for me they have a fantastic spirit and character. Each one I've ever known has its own personality. My guy is demented and crazy and I love it :p But then some days he just calmly jumps on the couch to give me a kiss; he pins my shoulder down and licks my face so earnestly! That's doggie love and I wouldn't be without it!

Advertisement