Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sram Rival

• 01-06-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I got a boardman with 10sp sram rival.When I put it onto the small chainring 34T on the front the chain rubs off the front derailleur when Im in the smallest 2 sprockets at the back 12 and 13.Halfords say nothing they can do with it as its a fault with the design. There is a 'trim' on the front derailleur but only when in the big chainring. Anyone else have the same problem or are Halfords tellin me porkies! Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's designed like that. Pretty much all gear systems are, not just Sram Rival. You're not meant to cross chain, i.e. use the largest sprockets with the big ring or smallest sprockets with the small ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭olmo

Fair enough El Tonto thanks for that. I thought it was just mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sheldon's gear calculator gives a pretty good idea of why you shouldn't ever need to cross chain. Gear systems tend to have overlap in terms of ratios. The following shows a compact gear setup with a 12-25 cassette. The values shown are the speeds in km/hr at 90 rpm.

115708.png

You can see that without using the 23-25 rear sprockets while in the larger 50 tooth front chainring and not using the 12-13 rear sprockets while in the smaller front 34 tooth chainring you get the exact same spread of gears. A bit of cross chaining tends to happen in a compact as the spread of gears is larger than a standard double, but generally you should avoid it if possible for lengthy periods of time. Parts wear out, noises are made, etc.

Advertisement