Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bichon Frise tear stains

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭wopper10

1c1a wrote: »
    Ive a lovely little shih tzu but she also suffers from tear stains so Ive tried diamond eyes which I've found to be great so maybe you should try it:)

it is good and does work but it has an antibiotic in it. All be it a mild antibiotic its not good to be constantly giving your dog antibiotics. You should try eye envy I know plenty of people that have used it. I've seen the results it works REALLY well but its all natural and contains now chemicals that could be harmful to your dog....

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

http://www.vmd.gov.uk/Publications/MAVIS/Full/mavis66.pdf

I know angel eyes (which has tylosin) was taken off the market in the uk see link above which is defra. Diamond eyes does contain tylosin so therefore would not be in the UK market.

I would not use them due to the fact that they where pulled by defra.

There was a topic on this a few months ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64443813

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭1c1a

wopper10 wrote: »
    it is good and does work but it has an antibiotic in it. All be it a mild antibiotic its not good to be constantly giving your dog antibiotics. You should try eye envy I know plenty of people that have used it. I've seen the results it works REALLY well but its all natural and contains now chemicals that could be harmful to your dog....

hey thanks I might give it a go, It was my vet that told me about diamond eyes so I assumed it was ok to use. Can you get eye envy in any pet shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭wopper10

1c1a wrote: »
    hey thanks I might give it a go, It was my vet that told me about diamond eyes so I assumed it was ok to use. Can you get eye envy in any pet shop?

Hi I'm sure a good few pet shops stock it but the one where my friends get theirs is Mollys pet Boutique in Dun Laoghaire, they have a website as well Mollys.ie. God luck with it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

You might find this useful.
    http://www.bhejei.com/tearsta.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

Hi TMB, there are alot of small breed dogs that suffer from this. Generally it could be a few things but alot of the time it is the following. The dog has tear ducts just in the inner side of the bottom eye lid and these ducts become blocked therefore th tears can not be drained away. This casues thet tears to then run down the outer part of the eye. This might be what it is, i would speak to your vet and if tha is the case i would she if they could unblock them for you. Hope this is helpful:D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

when i was dog grooming we had a lot of bichon's with tear stains... then one day a women came in and her bichon had none whatsoever, so we quized her on the dog's diet (to get advice for our other customer) and she was feeding him the same thing she feeds the rest of the family, she says he got lots of chicken and potatoes ect... hes coat was great and he was really white (alot of bichons get red stains on there legs from licking them) he didnt have any of this either... so maybe thats the way to go with them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have you tried camomile tea?

I have a Shih Tzu who has a few staining problems around his mouth. Found the idea on the internet which I've been trying. Just make the tea, leave to cool to blood heat, and gently wash his face with the infusion. Use a cotton wool pad, and use one for each side of his face. It seemed to make the marks much lighter.

If the staining is around his mouth, then the vet recommended cleaning his teeth every couple of days to keep the staining down too.

Although he's had a good cut since then, there's been no real problems with staining since I've tried these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Andrew33 wrote: »
    FFS! I have a Shih Tzu, (Benny) with eye problems, We took him from the pound KNOWING it'd be a lifetime (his:() of work, How can you care what smells he makes or whether his eyes look pretty all the time? Regarding his poop, what goes in= what comes out. Get him onto a good dry food (BAKERS) and cut out the treats, you will give your dog a slow painful death feeding him stuff like bits of choc and bits of fat you wouldn't eat yourself, and I think thats not a bad mantra, If you won't eat it yourself, don't ask your dog to eat it.

Andrew, Bakers is awful stuff. It's the very last thing I'd feed a dog. It is full of artificial additives that have been banned for human consumption - some of them known carcinogens. It is also notorious for causing hyperactivity because of the tartrazine.

There's no harm in a dog owner taking pride in their dog's appearance and why not look for a solution to smells - apart from anything else it can indicate a digestive problem or a problem in the mouth.

Thanks. As he's so young I haven't had to face this yet, I just wanted to make sure he didn't get an infection from the tear stains.

I gather now you pluck with your fingers? I was imaging trying to get a tweezers in his ear. :eek:

Learning curve to be sure..

I read up on the tear stains lately - some of the professional grooming products can sting if they get in the eyes, so just be careful with them. :) One natural solution is to dab the stains regularly with some cotton wool soaked in cooled, boiled water and a pinch of salt - it helps to kill off the yeast that causes the staining. Ditto on the cider vinegar too. It's also good for arthritis. (Not that your puppy has arthritis but I said I'd mention it, lol!)

I'd say a Bichon puppy might be a little bit particular about his food, so try and get some samples of different foods before you pay out for a big bag. As others have mentioned, Robbies or Luath (from the Land of Holistic Pets) Burns, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved and Orijen are all good foods. You'll only find rubbish in the supermarket, to be honest. :o

• Advertisement

Have you tried camomile tea?

I have a Shih Tzu who has a few staining problems around his mouth. Found the idea on the internet which I've been trying. Just make the tea, leave to cool to blood heat, and gently wash his face with the infusion. Use a cotton wool pad, and use one for each side of his face. It seemed to make the marks much lighter.

That's a good idea! Chamomile tea can also be used as a natural, gentle eye wash if your dog has an eye infection, so it certainly won't do any harm. :)

Advertisement