Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to roast vegtables?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was told that the best way to do this is put them into a bag with some good quality vegtable oil and then shake the veg around the bag to cover them properly with the oil.

Do I then just put them into a plate to cook and for how long usually?

I'm thinking of cooking parsnips, carrots and mushrooms?

Any tips appreciated - thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

yeah oil or butter will do and some seasonings salt pepper garlic watever ya feel i usualy stick em in the oven on tin foil under the broiler or put them on the grill weather permitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭irlforum

Forgot to ask actually what kind of bag do I use? Also how long do I leave them on or how do I know when there cooked?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I would usually par boil root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, potatoes) for 10 minutes first, chuck out the water and put oil into the saucepan, lid on and shake it up to coat them. Then put these into a roasting dish, season with salt and pepper, add some chunks of garlic and some balsamic vinegar (makes a real difference). Also add in onion bits and peppers if you want. Then roast for ~30 minutes at 180C. At this stage, take the dish out, shake it up and add in some herbs (rosemary or thyme is good). Then back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I agree with rgiller. Sounds good.

Don't get too worried about the bag, any plastic bag will do, its only to get them coated in oil. I just brush them with oil.

The only thing to watch out for, is roasting different vegs which will cook in different times.

Mushrooms will cook in half the time of carrots, so add them half way through.
    As was said, par boiling the root veg makes this less of a problem.

Balsamic vinegar is magic on roast veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I just chop them roughly and throw them in the roasting tin, throw some olive oil and balsamic, salt and pepper over them, shake the tin around so it gets covered and throw it in the oven at 200oc. Never bother parboiling. There's a lot of throwing, but I'm just that kind of cook :)
    I wouldn't roast mushrooms myself though? Only spuds, carrots, parsnips, squash, onions, peppers etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aoifefc

Make sure you don't over crowd your roasting tray/tin. Leaving enough room around them will let the air circulate and give them the nicest roasting. Piling the veg in the tray will lead to a mushy mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

rgiller's suggestions are pretty much spot on, I'd say. I was just thinking though, why bother with the bag? I just put the veg in a baking tray and then splash in some oil and whatever other flavours you want (balsamic vinegar, chili, herbs, etc.) and then mix it all in by hand. While they're roasting you could then baste them with the pan juice or turn them with a fish slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I don't bother with a bag either. I either put it all into a bowl and mix, or simply put on the tray and toss.

I also roast pumpkin/squash, sweet peppers, tomatoes, courgette, aubergine.

I'll often add cumin, paprika salt and pepper into the oil also for flavour.

I usually put them in the oven for about 40 mins at about 180 deg

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Roast spuds, sweet potatoe, butternut squash, red onion, garlic in a big pan covered in oil and salt, balsamic vinegar and maybe Polenta.

Good groodles with any joint or roast meats!

Advertisement