Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfy no mates!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wuben

well to be honest i went to there social other nite.....now I'm not the type of guy who would be comfortable meeting strangers but I'm desperate to get out surfing as none of my mates have the slightest bit of interest in it....so anyway i went in feeling a bit awkward but i was made feel very welcome...i thought they were a decent bunch....yea there was a good few women there but what man complains about that!!(good few men there as well)so anyway unless something better comes up or one of my mates suddenly takes a shining to surfing i think I'm going to give these guys a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Lol.

i have a vision of an army of dogs. :D

I already signed up though im now scared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SurfinInThe70s

@ SurferDude41....
    Call me old fashioned, or just plain old, but I'm constantly amazed at the things people think it's ok to post on the interweb. It's easy to be nice... but it's nasty to be nice (in person) and then to post that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

@ SurferDude41....
    Call me old fashioned, or just plain old, but I'm constantly amazed at the things people think it's ok to post on the interweb. It's easy to be nice... but it's nasty to be nice (in person) and then to post that.

I'm sure there perfectly fine in real life. The likelihood of a club remaining open with members if they are as described above is nil.

On the internet you take everything with a pinch of salt or like me believe nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

@ SurferDude41....

I did find the East Coast Surfers to be a nice enough group, but the people {women} were all a rather strange bunch of card carrying femimists.
    Nothing wrong with that,
    But why invite a single man, to an obviously feminist surfing weekend???

Well now im guessing, you are one of those women???
    And to be frank, I found your little sister-hood rather strange to say the least.
    And in all fairness, I am telling the truth.

Best of luck to you all:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

I met up with the east coast surf club at their social on Thursday, very friendly bunch. Then met up with them in Rossknowlagh on Saturday. They were very welcoming and great craic. Fairly split along gender lines. Don't know what kind of a thing you wandered into, surferdude41.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I did find the East Coast Surfers to be a nice enough group, but the people {women} were all a rather strange bunch of card carrying femimists.
    Nothing wrong with that,
    But why invite a single man, to an obviously feminist surfing weekend???

Well now im guessing, you are one of those women???
    And to be frank, I found your little sister-hood rather strange to say the least.
    And in all fairness, I am telling the truth.

Best of luck to you all:)
    Think you have issues that need to be looked at
    Don't click the below in work if you have speakers, which you need
    http://www.entertonement.com/clips/trlqfjqvls--Dire-need-of-a-blow-jobRobin-Williams-Good-Morning-Vietnam-A1C-Adrian-Cronauer-

Think you have issues that need to be looked at
    Don't click the below in work if you have speakers, which you need
    http://www.entertonement.com/clips/trlqfjqvls--Dire-need-of-a-blow-jobRobin-Williams-Good-Morning-Vietnam-A1C-Adrian-Cronauer-

Yes my good man, "I have a big issue with hypocrisy"
    I was assured by this woman, the said weekend I attended would be mixed, gender wise.
    What I was subjected to, was a weekend of sad feminist diatribe by a group of obviously man-hating women:(

If these women want to have their own, women only surfing club. Then maybe they should, "just go and do it".... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Mods, if you've no objection yourselfs would you mind locking this one up. Ta.

My question has been answered courtesy of Val's group and eastcoastsurfclub. Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

No, come on this is just getting interesting!

I need something more then people looking to hold each others hand and discuss how great it is to be bringing large groups to the beach.

A bit of ranting off feminists would really brighten up me day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wuben

valerie wrote: »
    I met up with the east coast surf club at their social on Thursday, very friendly bunch. Then met up with them in Rossknowlagh on Saturday. They were very welcoming and great craic. Fairly split along gender lines. Don't know what kind of a thing you wandered into, surferdude41.
    Valerie i am going to join myself.... its assuring to hear you got on grand I'm on holidays next two weeks then I'll sign up:D

And in future, I shall avoid over-friendly surfers like the plague:eek:
    I just give them my best thousand yard stare, and speak in monosyllables.
    It seems to deter most of the, "lets meet up for a surf" idiots:D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

It would be great if the club could post on site their weekend plans so that others can check and avoid where they are going to go. Nothing against the people in the club, who seem ok from my limited experience, but more the notion of groups paddling out.

Big time! It should nearly be a service offered by the ISA, a hand txt update on a Friday night would be favourite:)

They caused havoc last year when the decended on inchydoney

• Registered Users Posts: 36 longboarder

It would be great if the club could post on site their weekend plans so that others can check and avoid where they are going to go. Nothing against the people in the club, who seem ok from my limited experience, but more the notion of groups paddling out.

Ok lets be reasonable here.

Firstly I have been a member of the club for a few years and a nicer bunch of people you couldn’t meet.

Secondly regarding the trips, I have been on a good few and the numbers are generally around the twentyish mark, sometimes a few more and sometimes a few less. Abilities range from complete beginners to experienced.

Surf wise everybody tends to do their own thing. So at any one time the numbers are split between people in bed, on dry land and in the water. Those in the water are spread between the white water, mid and out the back. The result of this is that the actual number of people in any one spot is actually very small.

Couple this to the fact that we generally go to the places that have plenty of room like Lahinch, Brandon Bay, Rossnowlagh etc and you see that this notion of a huge group “descending” on a spot just does not add up.

Most decent days will see plenty of D reg cars in these spots that have no connection with the club and many club members would be in these spots anyway whether or not there is an “official” trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I spoke from experience whereby a group of between 6 and 8 paddled out at a small break in Sligo and ruined the session for the couple of others (not connected) that were out. In that case, the group sat on the peak chatting etc but actually getting in the way.

Ye might have little choice but to head off in groups, but no group ECSC or other should ever expect to be welcomed with open arms at any break.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 longboarder

Well that was just bad manners and a group of this size at a small break would not have been a club trip.

Also there are only about six trips in the whole year.

Very similar story from last year in inchydoney.

Why is it the ecsc are the only club that feels the need to travel in large groups?
    I spoke from experience whereby a group of between 6 and 8 paddled out at a small break in Sligo and ruined the session for the couple of others (not connected) that were out. In that case, the group sat on the peak chatting etc but actually getting in the way.

Ye might have little choice but to head off in groups, but no group ECSC or other should ever expect to be welcomed with open arms at any break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

As a group of people its pretty diverse, ranging from the soundest lads you'll ever meet, to adsolute idiots and everything else in between.

Its a very large club and based on the east coast, the members have to surf somewhere, hense the dilemma, where do you take a massive amount of beginners and intermediates to surf every other weekend

If club members are heading west, on a trip advertised on a club forum(official or otherwise) than its a club trip

I should add that the people I regularly surf with, I met through the club, though most of us are ex members at this stage

Well that was just bad manners and a group of this size at a small break would not have been a club trip.

Also there are only about six trips in the whole year.

Well here's a mad idea, why doesn't the ECSC just give other surfers advanced warning, of their impending trips.
    This would give us propper surfers a chance, to avoid your club like the plague:D
    Just imagine having Tullan strand, all to yourselves;)
    Ok the RNLI would have to be alerted first, for what ever ensuing chaos may happen.:eek:
    I just don't want my lovely longboard dinged by some idiot, who goes surfing a few times per year.:(
    Lets face facts here, your club is putting peoples lives at risk, By showing up to beaches in such large numbers:(

• Advertisement

Have to say I completely agree, if a club take a large group of people surfing, they should be accountable if anything happenned.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Bollocks to that have no knowledge of ecsc good or bad but wouldn't fancy the idea of a load turning up en mass anywhere but if its posted before hand and they are going to places like strandhill etc then fair enough. My real point is holding the person organising it responsible for all or everything that happens.
    They have volunteered to try and help out others should they now be held accountable for ever and anything? If they are making money from it fair enough they should have insurance etc and be professional but if they are volunteers?
    I was invloved in scuba diving for a long time in a club. I was Diving officer for a while and a court case a while back made me shiver as the DO was hauled before the court to be held responsible for a divers death he had voluntered his time and effort to promote a sport he loved and probable trained countless divers and made nothing from it.
    People need to be responsible for themselves end of.
    Negligence is a different thing entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SurfinInThe70s

What's with all the b*tchin and moanin' people? Surfing grew out of the desire of a group of people to escape the angry, competitive clutches of modern society for a bit of communing with the forces of nature .... I just can't square that view with notions like owning a wave... how is that even possible...? A bit more love out there would go a long way...

As far as I know the ECSC is a pretty well run club. And it's through clubs that surfers learn how to behave in the water, and how not to wreck other people's buzz. I have to laugh at the implication that Irish waves are crowded... I could waste my time wishing it was the seventies still .. but it ain't gonna happen.. and lets be honest, most of the time the music was rubbish, hair cuts were worse and girls wore jumpers.

Lookin' sweet later in the week.. but shhh, don't tell anyone. I'm off to wax me stick and get happy.

Enjoy... and spread the love.

Ok lets be reasonable here.

Firstly I have been a member of the club for a few years and a nicer bunch of people you couldn’t meet.

Secondly regarding the trips, I have been on a good few and the numbers are generally around the twentyish mark, sometimes a few more and sometimes a few less. Abilities range from complete beginners to experienced.

Surf wise everybody tends to do their own thing. So at any one time the numbers are split between people in bed, on dry land and in the water. Those in the water are spread between the white water, mid and out the back. The result of this is that the actual number of people in any one spot is actually very small.

Couple this to the fact that we generally go to the places that have plenty of room like Lahinch, Brandon Bay, Rossnowlagh etc and you see that this notion of a huge group “descending” on a spot just does not add up.

Most decent days will see plenty of D reg cars in these spots that have no connection with the club and many club members would be in these spots anyway whether or not there is an “official” trip.

This reads like, a load of public relations claptrap.:P
    Just read the posts, my good man. Your club seems to cause trouble, wherever ye travel:(

Hi ted

It's not such a bad idea, like surf schools if clubs cater for beginners than they should be responsible for them on the water. Surfing is an adverture sport so is risky at the best of times, without the extra danger of a load of beginners and intermiates all trying to surf the one peak, like what happenned in cork last year. I know adventure sports clubs that have a policy that if you are out with beginners you have to be quilified to do so, it'd help when people can make a call if a break is to busy or not.

As there is a growing problem in Ireland with beginners and mostly intermiates losing control of there boards and others end up with injuries or with damaged boards because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Yeah i know what you mean Rodento, the club then should possibly only admit people who have passed some sort of qualification from ISA. Obviously if you dont want into the club you don't need to pass squat. Mybe its different in Cork in my local area which is a well known popular beach, the peak is not abused that much that Isee ( maybe i am the only one abusing it) but most beginners stay off it in the white water the surf schools keep to themselves and I have seen very few problems.
    This is an issue that the surfing community as a whole has to sort out. Overcrowding and localism etc

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

lol, organisation and surfing, its a fine line.

Advertisement