Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

VW CALIFORNIA ----LOOKALIKE

• 01-06-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

HI all ,:)
    I need to get some info about converting a T5 commercial into a surf/tourer van similar to a vw california but without the pop top,i know the van is to small to be classed as a camper ,but is there any way that i can get it insured as a stelth van or similer ? I have seen a few on the road so there must be some way ,or is it just a commercial with private insurance ? if there is such a thing .
    Has Someone out there has done a conversion ,how did you get it taxed & insured as (van or camper ) ?????? please help iam about to go into melt down from reading all these treads , information overload ,lots & lots of great info but nothing specific to vw transporter .

THANKS TRUCK3R :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Good man,

98% of the posts here related to conversions are about converting a van to be then classed and re-reg'd as a campervan. In this case, this is NOT what you want, right.

You insure the Vdub commercially or privately, whatever you want, it'll just be a van thats insured. Commercial insurance/tax works out cheaper.

You may need to inform the insurance company if you install windows (although they should be cool with that) or have a permanent gas bottle in the back. DOE's should be fine with installed windows also, provided they are standard to the type of van.

Aside from that you're good to go with any type of conversion you want to put in, bed, lockers, etc.

Note though that what you invest into the van may have to come out again when you go to sell the van. The revenue sometimes check if someone is looking for a bit over the odds for a van with a conversion. Happened to a friend of mine.

If your in Cork, check out http://www.irishsurfer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4329, he's giving away the insides of a converted T5.

OB.

Advertisement