Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti virus solutions

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭

what would people recommend as an anti virus solution for SBS 2008 server (forefront only covers exchange component, I think?) and win 7 pro clients .. Not norton or anything by symmantec if possible but open to any other options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

McAfee VirusScan Entreprise is a pretty impressive product.. after switching from symantec.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

GreenHell wrote: »
    McAfee VirusScan Entreprise is a pretty impressive product.. after switching from symantec.

thanks, Im using this already on a larger network so must check into deploying on an sbs server.. symantec = :(

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Recently switched to NOD32 for our network.. The deployment and monitoring clients is excellent also.. So I would be saying NOD32

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

roryq wrote: »
    Recently switched to NOD32 for our network.. The deployment and monitoring clients is excellent also.. So I would be saying NOD32

I used NOD32 on my home pc for about a year, its a really good product. Does what it should do without any fuss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

roryq wrote: »
    I switched our office network to this from Sophos as there was a massive difference in price. Haven't had any problems since and it seems to work really well and is quiet to users which they appreciate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Sophos has become a very good product over the past while if you are looking for a large feature set. It also does application control, device control and data control so you can have policies in place for what applications are allowed run, a policy in place for what USB keys are allowed run (and a lot more) as well as blocking sensitive data being copied from a pc. However, if all you want is AV i wouldnt go with it as it is still fairly resouce intensive. ESET NOD32 is a nice product for performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CompExpert

IF you really want your pc secure i would recommend these:
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus
    and
    Ashampoo Firewall - which is free and help you see what connections are in and out.
    These are the best but if it is a server i would change the system for Linux Slackware if you know how to use it its the safest Linux distribution at all time but the main thing that is really hard to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I'm not as happy with Kaspersky Business edition as I was after they recently released an auto-installed patch which destroyed server performance, without any events or information as to the cause.

Suddenly running task manager or the print spooler would each eat up 25% CPU of a new quad core Xeon based server and performance would be like a server 10 years older.

It hasn't let any bugs through the linux based proxy though so in that regard it's working ok.

Nod32 has been decent enough, though the version on the file server used to be a bit too slow (2 x 4core Xeon for 120 clients).

Trend Micro is awful, good only for a cheap quote for use in bargaining with the other vendors. Let plenty of viruses through, unreliable install/uninstall.

Advertisement