Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent help mysql + phpMyadmin

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi,
    Need a little bit of guidance. i have set up a book of condolence on my website. its working fine but some entries are gibberish because of the fada's (á) in Irish so i was cleaning it up. Everything was fine until i got to row 90. phpMyadmin doesnt seem to be allowing me to see or access anything after that even though it recognises there are 92 rows? They are showing fine in the site. Tried relogging in but no different. Tried changing the number of viewed rows from 100 back to 50 but same problem! any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    On another aspect do i have to worry about the size? I am beginning to think it might get quite large..only set it up last night already nearly 100 posts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Its actually ignoring rows 91 + 92, doesnt appear in myadmin at all but appear fine on webpage. New entry at 93 while i was typing first question. I was doing my cleanup while those posts were made, are they retreivable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

There seems to be a problem with MySQL and the selected charset for the DB/table.

Try doing some google searches for mysql and irish language or mysql fada etc..
    Follow this link for some advice: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=328641&seqNum=11

Can you program in PHP?
    You could also try making a filter in PHP that would replace any fada letters with the regular english equivalent. You'd use an array for the fada letters and then an array for the english equivalent. Then a simple loop to scan all input scans against the irish array.

There may be some trouble with using fada in PHP/text editor so maybe you should work with ASCII codes in the array.

My first solution is probably much more practical and makes for better design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

techguy wrote: »
    Can you program in PHP?
    You could also try making a filter in PHP that would replace any fada letters with the regular english equivalent. You'd use an array for the fada letters and then an array for the english equivalent. Then a simple loop to scan all input scans against the irish array.

I'd suggest converting to the HTML attributes &xacute;

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

cheers can code in php - just had to do it in a rush like i say was a book of condolence, wasnt in the form to do anything too sophisicated.
    must give it a go to save myself hassle of cleaning up posts that got some gibberish in them.
    my bigger problem though is the two entries that i still cant access through phpmyadmin yet still appear in the webpage!! bit strange!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

krazyklown wrote: »
    my bigger problem though is the two entries that i still cant access through phpmyadmin yet still appear in the webpage!! bit strange!:eek:

Yes, it is. Maybe you could try to SQL Yog to acces the data.

It's a great tool for working with MySQL databases it far exceeds phpmyadmin IMHO.

I think the link I gave you should contain the solution to your problem as the Irish language is mentioned somewhere in there..

EDIT: let me know if you want any help with the PHP solution I suggested earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement