If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-Fi enabled TV's

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Guys

I'm reading a lot about wi-fi being the big innovation in TV's for 2010. I understand that wifi built in enables the tv to do dedicated internet tasks such as browse youtube and do flickr slideshows etc.

But is that it?

Can it be used to talk to other devices that are wi-fi enabled?
    Can it talk to my laptop for example? Can I watch vids from laptop on TV? etc etc

many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Dnme

Net connectivity on TV's is getting to be a very popular feature nowadays.
    Whilst its not a replacement for your PC it can be a handy way of quickly checking out the internet during ad breaks....
    Some of our TV's need to be hard wired to your router whilst others can do so wirelesslyr.

The likes of our 9 series TV's can wirelessly browse a DNLA certified Laptop/desktops no problem at all if you have something like Windows Media Player 11 on your computer.

Other models like our newer 8 series TV's will need a WiFi dongle to access your computer wirelessly.
    They can be hardwired to your router however and access pretty much whatever media files you have stored on the PC.

The newer (not yet launched) 9705H models will have WIFI MEDIA CONNECT onboard to access all media files on your PC wirelessly and wont require a dongle on the TV (again your PC will need something like Windows Media Player 11)

You can of course plug the computer directly into the TV via VGA, HDMI/DVI and use it as a big (or very BIG in the case of the 52" TV's) monitor

hope this helps
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Just to add to this - from personal experience I've found that 802.11n isn't particularly good at streaming HD video content, so while it's fine for something like Youtube or other lo-def sources, when it comes to pulling out media from your DLNA server somewhere in the house other sources tend to work better (obviously the best is dedicated ethernet; in our case we switched to powerline-ethernet which can - just about - stream 1080p data).

Your mileage may vary, but it's definitely something to take into account.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.