Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roger Waters - The Wall Live

Options
  • 27-05-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Roger Waters is going to tour The Wall in 2011, there are 30 dates in europe ,out of which 3 are in london , 2 in manchester and 1 in the O2 in dublin. The dublin date is Mon 23 may 2011 , and tickets go on sale next thursday 3 rd june at 9 am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

http://www.hotpress.com/Roger%20Waters/news/Roger-Waters-brings-massive-new-show-to-the-O2/6536577.html

Roger Waters brings massive new show to the O2

27 May 2010

The former Pink Floyd man is pulling out all the stops to celebrate the 30th birthday of The Wall.

As predicted several months ago, Roger Waters will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of The Wall with an extensive European tour that includes a May 23, 2011 stop-off at the Dublin O2. Tickets priced between €59.80 and €86.25 go on sale on Thursday June 3.

“The show starts with the wall broken down and throughout the first half bricks are built,” reveals a spokesperson. “The second half is played with the wall completely built. Roger is developing dynamic new video graphics and visual images to illustrate the story and the songs, using an 8,000 square foot wall as a huge screen. The show features all the Roger Waters scale grandeur and special effects such as original Gerald Scarfe imagery, crashing aeroplane, quadraphonic sound, pyrotechnics, spot pods, gigantic inflatable puppets, projection, video mapping and many elaborate effects.”

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/Roger-Waters-tickets/artist/736426?spotlight_ren_od=1&tm_link=tm_homeA_4_f2

I really want to know if it is seating or standing. Hoping for standing. I'd say they would be the €60 tickets, and then the seated would be the €86? Do you think it would sell out fast. I'd say it wouldn't seen as it is on in a year 4 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It's ground floor standing.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Great stuff. Thanks! Should be a cracker. Hope I get tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

much more reasonable prices than I thought it would be, was he not more expensive down in Cork ?

may just be able to do this show now......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

NIBBS wrote: »
    Much more reasonable prices than I thought it would be, was he not more expensive down in Cork?

Can't remember how much Cork was, but it was a much smaller capacity, so the price would probably have been higher. That was a great show though, not least for Nick Mason turning up.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Can't remember how much Cork was, but it was a much smaller capacity, so the price would probably have been higher. That was a great show though, not least for Nick Mason turning up.

I seen him in Dublin on the Dark Side tour and the tix were €96. That was an amazing show, same as the Cork one.

Stuff from the O2's website.

ROGER WATERS LIVE AT THE O2

Aiken Promotions are proud to present….
    ROGER WATERS
    LIVE AT THE O2 DUBLIN
    23 MAY 2011
    TICKETS ON SALE NEXT THURS 3RD JUNE AT 9AM

Tickets will be GA €69.70 Seated €59.80, €76.25, €86.25 on sale next Thursday at 9am from all Ticketmaster outlets nationwide
    Booking line no. 0818 719 300 online at www.ticketmaster.ie

ROGER WATERS MARKS 30th ANNIVERSARY OF ‘’THE WALL’’ ALBUM WITH HISTORIC 30-CITY EUROPEAN TOUR IN 2011

www.rogerwaters.com

Roger Waters, the creative genius behind musical pioneers Pink Floyd, is set to bring his groundbreaking masterpiece, The Wall, to Europe in 2011.This is the first time The Wall has been performed in over 20 years.

Roger Waters ‘The Wall’ will trek through over 25 European cities to mark the 30th anniversary of the album’s release and with Roger hinting that this could mark his final big tour, it is already promising to be one of the hottest tickets of the decade.

Beginning in March 2011, Roger Waters’ The Wall Tour will visit the following destinations.

Lisbon (Portugal), Madrid (Spain), Barcelona (Spain), Milan (Italy), Arnhem (The Netherlands), Budapest (Hungary), Prague (Czech Republic), Lodz (Poland), Moscow (Russia), St Petersburg (Russia), Helsinki (Finland), Oslo (Norway), Stockholm (Sweden), Copenhagen (Denmark), London (UK), Manchester (UK), Dublin (Ireland), Antwerp (Belgium), Paris (France), Mannheim (Germany), Zurich (Switzerland), Hamburg (Germany), Berlin (Germany) and Dusseldorf (Germany).
    Previously the show was simply too large to contemplate a tour, but new arenas and advances in touring technology have solved that dilemma. Now, after months of meticulous planning, Waters has updated the look and feel of the show to ensure it matches the astonishing theatrical extravaganza that The Wall’s live incarnation became so legendary for - thus allowing yet another generation to be inspired by the grandeur of the breathtaking visual and aural spectacle.

The show starts with the wall broken down and throughout the first half bricks are built. The second half is played with the wall completely built. Roger Waters is developing dynamic new video graphics and visual images to illustrate the story and the songs, using an 8,000 sq ft wall as a huge screen. The show features all the Roger Waters scale grandeur and special effects such as original Gerald Scarfe imagery, crashing aeroplane, quadraphonic sound, pyrotechnics, spot pods, gigantic inflatable puppets, projection, video mapping and many elaborate effects. Rogers band on this world tour is: Dave Kilminster (Guitar), Snowy White (Guitar), G. E. Smith (Guitar), Jon Carin (Keyboards), Harry Waters (Keyboards), Graham Broad (Drums), Robbie Wyckoff, Jon Joyce (Backing Vocals), Michael Lennon (Backing Vocals), Mark Lennon (Backing Vocals), Kipp Lennon (Backing Vocals).

“Thirty years ago when I wrote The Wall, I was a frightened young man,” he recalls. “In the intervening years it has occurred to me that maybe the story of my fear and loss with its concomitant inevitable residue of ridicule, shame and punishment, provides an allegory for broader concerns: Nationalism, racism, sexism, religion, whatever! All these issues and ‘isms are driven by the same fears that drove my young life.”
    Boasting Pink Floyd classics including Comfortably Numb, Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2, Mother, Run Like Hell and Young Lust, The Wall resonated with millions of fans around the world to become one of the biggest albums ever recorded. Hugely successful upon its release, The Wall was the best-selling album of 1980 in the United States, where it remains in the top five best-selling albums of all time.
    The forthcoming tour will offer European fans of Roger Waters and Pink Floyd a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness a full band performing The Wall in its entirety, with a specially designed, state-of-the-art stage show to enhance Waters’ epochal masterpiece of alienation and transformation. Album illustrator Gerald Scarfe, who worked on the initial Pink Floyd first tour and the subsequent 1982 film, has this year been once again collaborating with Waters to provide new art, puppetry and inflatable objects for the tour.
    To date The Wall has been performed by its creator just 31 times live, including Pink Floyd's 1980-81 tour in support of the album. Roger Waters resurrected the phenomena in July 1990 with one of the largest concerts ever held to celebrate the fall of the Berlin Wall. That awe-inspiring event attracted nearly half a million fans to the Potsdamer Platz and while countless millions more around the world watched the extravaganza on television, critics hailed Waters’ creation as the best concert ever, setting the standard for every act since to try to achieve. And Waters reveals that to make sure The Wall is as relevant in 2011 as it was 30 years ago, he has revisited every song and embraced the latest technology and special effects to energise his masterpiece.
    "Projection systems now are completely different from what they were then, which means that I would be able to project over the entire 240-foot expanse of the wall ... which we couldn't do in those days," says Roger.
    More important to Waters than the theatrics is The Wall’s political and social commentary and he is planning to use the construction of the wall to honour soldiers who have lost their lives in battle. The rogerwaters.com website is running an appeal to relatives of those lost in war to submit photographs which Waters will project on The Wall during the show so that each victim becomes, in effect, another brick.
    "When we first did it, we were after the end of the Vietnam War, and we're right now in the middle of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, so there's a very powerful anti-war message in The Wall. There was then and there still is now," he notes.
    "This new production of The Wall is an attempt to draw some comparisons, to illuminate our current predicament, and is dedicated to all the innocent lost in the intervening years," he adds.
    Having only been performed live in the United States, Germany and the UK previously, the tour will allow fans around Europe their first (and possibly the last) chance to see The Wall for themselves in their own country’s. Prior to the European dates, Roger Waters’ The Wall Tour will hit the road in North America for a 50-date North American tour starting in September 2010. The latest details on Roger Waters' The Wall Tour, and more, can be found via the artist's newly re-launched website, www.rogerwaters.com Waters is personally involved with the site and is using it to communicate with his fans across the globe.
    And he has used the forum to confirm that these concerts will likely mark the end of his performing days. "However, I still have the fire in my belly, and I have something to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Can't wait, it sounds really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Want to get tickets for the wife as a surprise. I'm not a fan at all so don't really know what to expect - would you recommend standing or seated tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Want to get tickets for the wife as a surprise. I'm not a fan at all so don't really know what to expect - would you recommend standing or seated tickets?

I would recommend standing as you will be closer to the stage.
    I got access to the pre sale from his website for 2 london dates and also the dublin date.
    Looks like the ones from his website are at least 10 euro dearer and you can only pickup the tickets on the night of the concert with your own id.

Do you think it will be ok to wait for the general sale or will they sell out straight away.

Also I think it is better to see in dublin as it looks to me it is all seated in 02 london and would prefer to stand.

Saw him in Cork a few years back and was truly amazing gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I must go too. The Cork gig was brilliant. I also saw them in Mannheim, Germany in 1988 when they were on a big tour. The big pig was awsome that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

finbarrk wrote: »
    I also saw them in Mannheim, Germany in 1988 when they were on a big tour. The big pig was awsome that day!

Dont want to sound too pedantic but that wasn't Roger Waters you seen in 1988 .... Pink Floyd yes , Waters no ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Tickets going on sale Thursday for the gig next May (23rd). I mean wtf? Selling tickets for a concert almost a year away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I'd love to see it, but can't justify the spends a year in advance....I think ill take my chance and wait until next year on the assumption that he'll do extra gigs if its very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Totally agree. People have so many expenses and THIS years concerts etc to pay for.
    They obviously think the tickets will sell.

Considering how fast the tckets sold out last time I'm getting mine tomorow morning. If people want to see Roger they aren't going to care when the gig is, they will still by the tickets because they will sell out. I'm not saying it is a good thing that they are on sale a year in advance, I think it is disgraceful. The about of money being stored all that time, Anything can happen in a year. It's crazy. I'm still getting my tickets though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Agree with others about selling them a year in advance, Roger's definitelty lost his idealism over the years.

In saying that Im still buying some- saw him perform Dark Side of the Moon at the Point a couple of years back and I can honestly say it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen- he really does put on a show. All with the Wall this show will involve a gigantic wall being built which should be class, certainly something different.

I should add that its unlikely any dates will be added to this- he seems to just play the origional gigs announced and that'll be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 backstreets

there will be a second date added

• Advertisement

there will be a second date added

Oh yeah, based on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 backstreets

just wait and see,there will be a show on the tuesday as well

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

Got my tickets this morning but I will be willing to bet them that there will be a second show added.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Got tickets just now, that's me going to two gigs next May already! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Got my tickets as well. I love ticketmasters 9 per person policy which will really stop touting.

Got my tickets this morning too!! So happy, Got there at 8:20 and there was nobody there. At 8:50 one other person came. Then more came when I was comming out of supermarket. I thought there would have been a great demand. What were the other outlets like?

Got 2 x standing tickets this morning.

That's the wife's birthday present sorted!:D

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Got 2 x standing tickets this morning.

That's the wife's birthday present sorted!:D

Was there many at the outlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

What price are the tickets?

• Advertisement

They are different prices.

Seated; €59.80-€88.25
    Standing; €69.70

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180044BCC4343A5C?artistid=736426&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

Advertisement