Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roger Waters - The Wall Live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4000
    I was looking at buying the "Gold Circle" tickets this morning but would it not be a bit of a disadvantage being in front of the stage? You won't get the full impact of the show if you're that close considering it is being scaled up for the stadium tour. Somewhere in the middle of the pitch would almost be ideal?

Open to be proven wrong here by the way!

I went to this in the O2 both nights last time - one night seated and the other standing right at the barrier. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other but they were different. I did miss some stuff of the effects standing at the barrier, but it was great to see the band close up and the best memory I have from the two nights was standing right in front of the wall when it came down - that was something else! So I would say it depends on what you want from the show. This time I want to get a seat right at the very back of the stadium because I haven't seen it from that sort of distance and it'll be a different way to see it than either of the nights in the O2.

So for someone who has never seen a production like this live, what would you recommend. gold Circle or GA Standing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I saw it in the O2 and it was amazing but I'm not keen on the Aviva. I was at Lady Gaga there and we were so far away (even though they were expensive tickets).

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

I saw it in the O2 and it was amazing but I'm not keen on the Aviva. I was at Lady Gaga there and we were so far away (even though they were expensive tickets).

I heard the sound is pretty crap at the Aviva. This is why i'm thinking Gold Circle!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Goldigga wrote: »
    I heard the sound is pretty crap at the Aviva. This is why i'm thinking Gold Circle!

It wasn't great to be honest but we were so far away I could hear the crowd around us talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Goldigga wrote: »
    So for someone who has never seen a production like this live, what would you recommend. gold Circle or GA Standing?

I really think it depends what you want. If you're only going to see it once I'd probably say not the golden circle. If you want to see the whole spectacle then stay well away from the front - there are a loads of amazing 3D effects that you won't see properly there. You really don't appreciate the scale of the production from the front, and that will probably be even more true if it's upgraded from the O2 - lots of it will be lost. But on the other hand, if your some die hard Roger Waters fan and want to get a good look at him for what could be the last time, then the front is great. And as I said, the wall coming down right in front of you is amazing to experience. So if that's what you want the golden circle would be great. Sorry, I know that's not a clear cut answer. If it's any help - anyone I know who went to the O2 for only one night got seats, and not one of them regretted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

rednik wrote: »
    The Earls Court concerts were fantastic, what was captured on DVD does not capture anything of what the gigs were really liike.
    Pulse was recorded in 1994. My point was that the Roger Waters shows I have seen looked better than that show (even though it was amazing). I am in no way trying to say Roger Waters is better or even near as good as the performances from 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

budgemook wrote: »
    Pulse was recorded in 1994. My point was that the Roger Waters shows I have seen looked better than that show (even though it was amazing). I am in no way trying to say Roger Waters is better or even near as good as the performances from 30 years ago.

My problem with Pulse is it was filmed on video tape and not film so the image quality is not the best. Pink Floyd were renowned for being perfectionists on stage so this dvd is such a big let down. The sound mix is decent enough but as I said it does not capture the true atmosphere of those nights in Earls Court.

I have seen Floyd, Gilmour and Waters live and I would say they all put on great shows but Roger has by far the greater stage presence. Unfortunately with Rick's untimely death we will never see the classic line up again thank heaven's for Live 8.

If you haven't seen it yet try The delicate sound of thunder on vhs, this was a good show. Roger is supposedly working on a release of The Wall DVD/Blu Ray and a new album so that is something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

For anyone getting tickets tomorrow, you need to bear in mind the 3 projection towers that will be situated around the halfway line in the Aviva.

They could obstruct views of the stage if your seated at the back on the higher tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

poundhound wrote: »
    For anyone getting tickets tomorrow, you need to bear in mind the 3 projection towers that will be situated around the halfway line in the Aviva.

They could obstruct views of the stage if your seated at the back on the higher tiers.

Do you know how high the higher tiers are? The projection towers would have to be 300ft in height to block the view from up there!!!!

Live news conference.

http://www.roger-waters.com/

• Advertisement

Re "Do you know how high the higher tiers are? The projection towers would have to be 300ft in height to block the view from up there!!!! "

As the stage will not be the same height as the top tier, those seated up there will be looking down from one end of the pitch to the other diagonally.

With the projection towers 30 ft or so high, theres scope for an obstructed view.

Check out footage of his 2012 outdoor shows on youtube to see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

poundhound wrote: »
    Re "Do you know how high the higher tiers are? The projection towers would have to be 300ft in height to block the view from up there!!!! "

As the stage will not be the same height as the top tier, those seated up there will be looking down from one end of the pitch to the other diagonally.

With the projection towers 30 ft or so high, theres scope for an obstructed view.

Check out footage of his 2012 outdoor shows on youtube to see what I mean.

Roger just said on the press conference that there will not be towers this time, they have new projectors so there will not be obstructions.

That Wembley Stadium date (Sat 14th Sept) I posted earlier is now official.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Got a ticket in Block 505, hope it's not too far to the side :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Damn Frogs, hoped Dublin would be the last date of the tour, but they snuck a sneaky Paris date in 3 days later :mad:

MGMTea wrote: »
    Got a ticket in Block 505, hope it's not too far to the side :pac:

As long as it's not on the dark side.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is this all seated?

Is this all seated?

No, the pitch is standing.

Thanks CiaranK, I think the fact they addressed the projection tower issue shows my concerns about obstructed views were credible.

At least it won't be an issue now.

I got my ticket earlier this week and I'm very much hoping there's a huge demand. It may be optimistic, but a possible 2nd date has my underpants elastic at breaking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TheWaller

I've never been to Aviva before. For a seated ticket, which spot do you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,502 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Can anyone tell me where the Gold section is please? Is that standing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yep, it's the pit afaik. Got 2 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I was working during the Michael Buble concert in the Aviva .

The top tier sections should be avoided . The sound is simply terrible up there. Unhearable TBH. Is that a word?

Folks, this should help if you need clarification of seat numbers etc.

Click on the block number and you'll see individual seat selection.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004925A329243A?artistid=1056338&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=225

• Registered Users Posts: 45,502 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Yep, it's the pit afaik. Got 2 myself.

Sound, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

from my experience from o2:
    for first part we were in front and it was great. then after intermission (when the wall was built) we couldnt get to front and had to stand in the back. at first i was pissed off but it actually was better because in second part for most of the time the wall is there and its great to see the scale and the performances are on various sides of the wall (very top, far left), so if youre in very front its harder to see anyways + the projections. So i would say for first part - front and then slightly back so you see whole stage. There will probably still be an intermission, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

brokenarms wrote: »
    Unhearable TBH. Is that a word?

Inaudible.

Have checked out youtube footage of the current leg of the tour (Europe 2013).

Ticket sales seem to be an issue.

Indeed just over 5,400 attended a 38,000 capacity stadium at the first gig in Arnhem. I know it was a last minute addition, as the venue was used for rehearsals, but 5,400?!

Footage of last nights gig in Croatia also shows vast empty seating in the stands.

Given the quality of the show, not to mention the classic album it revolves around, Im amazed at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I'm not too surprised really.

I was at the last show and it was brilliant. Do I really want to go and see the exact same show again so soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

yep. I am a fan and was considering not going also as the same show was not that long ago.

As we all know, Waters has a ego the size of a ship. Maybe it overtook him a bit this time. Could see this tour make a loss.

Advertisement