Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roger Waters - The Wall Live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I do know that roger should look for sponsorship from rogaine...amount of MPB in the crowd was mental :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mightysurveyor

Powerful stuff, Waters and Co. are genius.

Was nursing a semi when the solo in Comfortably Numb was been played!

Shine on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SIBHCHEVIE

What a gig, first time seeing the wall live and loved every minute. My other half was in his element as he was the one that got me into Pink Floyd in the first place. I am a little disappointed with the crowd though, they didn't appear to get into it until the second half (at least where we were sitting anyway) When he played Run I stood up for a bit and everyone was looking at me as if i had ten heads!!!! How bad is it when he has to say during during the song "come on enjoy yourselves".

I know we did anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

SIBHCHEVIE wrote: »
    How bad is it when he has to say during during the song "come on enjoy yourselves".

They're the lyrics from Run like hell.

I thought the atmosphere where we were was great right from the start, great seats, directly in front of the stage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

SIBHCHEVIE wrote: »
    How bad is it when he has to say during during the song "come on enjoy yourselves".

I know we did anyway :D

Yeah, that's part of his mock-hysterical schtick in the build-up to Run Like Hell. It's not on the studio album, but it was always done in the original Pink Floyd live shows of The Wall and he's resurrected it for the current show. "Let's all have a clap! Come on, enjoy yourselves! Have a good time!"

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Jeff Albertson

RayCon wrote: »
    Hugely disappointed with the sound in the first half ... absolutely abysmal from where I was located (Standing to the left of the arena). Didn't help being surrounded by drunk muppets trying to sing along , do the sound effects and laugh amongst each other when they got them wrong.

Second half much better when I relocated myself to a more central location on the floor and the sound was improved.

Visually stunning show 10/10 - 5/10 for the sound.

My fav bit ... iPaint - I laughed.

Yeah the sound the the left hand side was a complete joke, we couldnt hear a thing at the start and few people started to boo which i thought was fair enough after paying 80 Eur for a ticket!

I think the problem was that the mixing desk etc took up so much space in the middle and pushed averybody farther back than usual.

We moved to the middle after "Mother" and it did improve, but was still very disapointed with the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I also loved the way there were so many young kids at it. Clearly, their trendy parents have educated them well

Or couldn't get a babysitter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Excellent gig, was standing front of center... sound and visuals amazing....second half i was a bit further back and the sound wasn't half as good.

Well impressed i must say, up there with some of the best gigs i've ever seen, very restrained audience though:confused:

.... cue the spliffs and pipes for CN..:D

Awesome gig was awesome.

the only nit pick would be the smell off the bottles of beer in the O2, anyone else get that:confused: plastic tang off the beer itself, that and the dearth of taxis outside:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

Awesome visuals, but as regards atmosphere & sound wasn't a patch on Rush the week before, IMHO. Still enjoyed it & glad I went.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Taught it was an amazing show, could be the last time we see RW doing something like that!
    Wasnt (for me) up there with DSOTM 07' as he played plenty of solo and other PF tunes but that dosent matter. It was an amazing show to watch.

Had problems with complete and utter p*ricks thinking they could just march in and stand in front of us too. Nearly spoiled it!

Does anybody else feel that people with their phones raised up in the air,in the standing area at a visual show like that should cop on. It never bothered me before but standing on my toes for two hrs was a pain.
    Normally its all about the music but you cant say that about that production!

Anyhow dont want to moan, great gig and will stay with me for a long time>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I was quite far back for the first half of the show and the sound was terrible...non-existent, in fact. That coupled with morons chattering amongst themselves meant that I might as well have been outside the wall (of the Point). I was surprised at how bad it was.

That said, when I moved up at the interval, things improved dramatically, and as people have said, it's a spectacular show all round. I'm sorely tempted to try and get a cheap ticket for tonight's show so I can see the first half properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nullset

Hugely disappointed with the sound in the first half ... absolutely abysmal from where I was located (Standing to the left of the arena). Didn't help being surrounded by drunk muppets trying to sing along , do the sound effects and laugh amongst each other when they got them wrong.

Second half much better when I relocated myself to a more central location on the floor and the sound was improved.

Visually stunning show 10/10 - 5/10 for the sound.

My fav bit ... iPaint - I laughed.

Too right..

This was my first time in the O2 since its makeover from the Point, and I was absolutely disgusted by the sound ( was standing ) - It was like listening to a gig with a couch on your head.

The Point sound was always fairly rubbish but I thought that some care would be put into the O2, alas no. People were leaving at the interval because the sound was so bad.

By the looks of it, all they needed to do was suspend an array of small speakers at the back, under the the back seats, even cheap ones would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Just want to reiterate for anyone going tonight... get in early and get a good spot front and centre! sound to the back and to the left in particular was terrible! Midway through first half Roger had a chat with the crowd and we couldnt hear a word...

Moved up during second half and show was much better... in hindsight would have been better of with seats to really enjoy the whole show!

All in all though show was amazing (never seen visuals like it)! Was with my Dad who introduced me to Floyd so was extra special... still living in hope of some form of reunion though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

nullset wrote: »
    By the looks of it, all they needed to do was suspend an array of small speakers at the back, under the the back seats, even cheap ones would do.

I was at the back and we had a speaker just above our head with no sound coming out of it bar the odd sound effect such as the noise of the planes, gunfire etc no music coming through it!

Really hope they sort it out for people going to tonights show...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mr. 2

I'm not a fan but I brought my wife who is. I was just blown away by that and would love to be going again tonight. Truly spectacular show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Spectacular show amazing visuals, and upstairs, amazing sound!

We had an array very close to where we were sitting put it was definitely only used for surround sound effects.

The stage made the 80 odd quid worth it, the quality of the projection was unreal.

My one and only complaint is the crowd around us were far too dry, no life in them they barely clapped they sat there didn't even wait to the end as soon as he went off the stage when the wall fell they left.

But the show itself made up for the lack of atmosphere. (IMO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nialmur

What time did he come on stage at?

nialmur wrote: »
    What time did he come on stage at?

8:30ish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

WHAT A GIG! :eek::eek::eek:

Loved every second of it, whoever is going tonight ye are gonna have a ball!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Fantastic gig, if I could afford it id go again tonight.

Was standing at the right of the stage, sound was pretty decent where we were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re: "I was at the back and we had a speaker just above our head with no sound coming out of it bar the odd sound effect such as the noise of the planes, gunfire etc no music coming through it!

Really hope they sort it out for people going to tonights show... "

Thats the quadrophonic sound. Theres nothing to sort out. Waters is the only act that Im aware of that offers surround sound at a gig. Music is not supposed to come out of those speakers.

I was there last night and i'll be there again tonight. The Wall is a long album with plenty of slow sombre numbers so seating is essential.

I agree with a previous poster that the sound desk takes up a lot of floor space. Couple that with the barriers at the front being pushed further away from the stage to accomodate the Wall falling and it results in those standing being forced out to the wings. The show is designed for bigger arenas ie. O2 London or Manchesters MEN arena.

The visuals are incredible and designed to be watched at a distance. For the first and probably only time, people with seats on the back row of the O2, have the best seats in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

poundhound wrote: »
    The Wall is a long album with plenty of slow sombre numbers so seating is essential. I agree with a previous poster that the sound desk takes up a lot of floor space. Couple that with the barriers at the front being pushed further away from the stage to accomodate the Wall falling and it results in those standing being forced out to the wings. The show is designed for bigger arenas i.e. O2 London or Manchester's MEN Arena.

Agreed. I've not checked them all, but the majority - if not all - of the other shows on the tour are fully seated, and I'm almost positive that all the UK shows were. I'm guessing they couldn't make Dublin's O2 fully seated because the size of the stage coupled with the amphitheatre design of the balcony couldn't accomodate the lower seats being put in. Bear in mind that the venues mentioned above are conventional, purpose-built arenas that have the stage at the end of the hall, and not the unique/ridiculous (delete as appropriate) "lengthways" design of the O2 here.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

I was standing and I'd say the effect just was'nt the same as if you were up in the seating. Constantly craning your head from side side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

man, there were some flurking drunken gobsh!tes in the crowd last night ... pushing their way through an already jammed area , while trying to carry trays with 4 pints on them !! :rolleyes:

I heard the following coversations :

Muppet A "I heard Dave Gilmour is going to show up at some of the shows in England soon "
    Muppet B "Who's he , the baldy one"

Muppet C" whats the deal with the Wall ?, you cant see the band"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

man, there were some flurking drunken gobsh!tes in the crowd last night ... pushing their way through an already jammed area , while trying to carry trays with 4 pints on them !! :rolleyes:

I heard the following coversations :

Muppet A "I heard Dave Gilmour is going to show up at some of the shows in England soon "
    Muppet B "Who's he , the baldy one"

Muppet C" whats the deal with the Wall ?, you cant see the band"

Ha ha...priceless:D Some white-haired aul boy in front of me stormed off after an hour shoutin' " I did'nt pay 80 euros to look at a feckin' wall ....they can keep their effin' fireworks too" :pac::

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Deregos

By a fluke I'm going tonight . .Can't believe my luck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

You are in for a massive treat, enjoy! It is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

Gridlock wrote: »
    Ha ha...priceless:D Some white-haired aul boy in front of me stormed off after an hour shoutin' " I did'nt pay 80 euros to look at a feckin' wall ....they can keep their effin' fireworks too" :pac::

there was some fools in the crowd alright, you would wonder why they buy these tickets in the first place, there was a young one near me acting like she was at a rave or something, then people pushing through in the standing area was abit of a distraction but i have to confess i did this but only to get back to where i was and try to gain some sort of view, i was raging i didnt get a seated ticket but you live and learn i suppose, enjoy tonight people, funds dont stretch to two nights but all in all a brilliant night

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Anyone know how to send a report into brain damage? Is there a link I can't see anywhere to add a report? Cheers.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/2011-wall-tour/may-23rd-o2-arena-dublin-ireland.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Here is link to my photos from last night. As I was at the front I was unable to get photos which spanned the entire stage, hence why I would have liked to have been in the seated area.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150203233793401.316465.708703400&l=cf032f31e6

Advertisement