Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roger Waters - The Wall Live

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

JustinDee wrote: »
    Rubbish. I certainly didn't post just for the sake of moaning like the typical sooky Paddy.
    It was visually brilliant but I found the sound far too muted (for want of a better word) compared to other gigs I've been to and other gigs by the man himself.

No biggie. He's still a ledge and so is the album.

It is a real shame that the sound was muffled for some of the crowd. I went back and read the last few pages and saw it wasn't just Irish begrudgery, I'm really sorry that the gig was ruined for so many people by bad acoustics, didn't they not say that the O2 was sonically brilliant when they built it? I was sitting 4 rows back from the front of the balcony smack bang in the middle, so was spoiled in the respect.

I will say though, and I've said it before, that I really don't agree with the O2's drink allowed policy. It just leads to a nastier atmosphere on the floor level when you have people getting buckled and spilling drinks all over others who have decided to watch the show rather than spend the entire gig doing shuttle runs to the bar. I like a cheeky pint as much as the next guy, but never had any hassle in the old point when you couldn't bring drink in to the show, whereas I've seen numerous scuffles break out since the re-opening involving drunken fools. Ruins it for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Amazing show last night, probably the only concert I was ever at that I can genuinely say was worth every penny. People beside me came up from cork agreed.
    How anyone can have any complaints is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Great show last night but completely the wrong venue. That gig needed to be fully seated and an attentive crowd.

I hate the new O2, I've been there four times now to completely different acts. There's no atmosphere whatsoever and surprisingly awful acoustics.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

I was standing in front of the mixing desks [ yes desks :-) ] and the sound was really great. But I can understand that people in the seated area , next to a sourround speaker, may have been surprised.
    Not too sure if The O2 was large enough to accomodate such a large production.... I've seen a few gigs there and they always been great but this one was the best when it comes down to video / lighting and sound.

I guess I was just unlucky to have 2 crackheads next to me who passed out and had to be removed by the ambulance service :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I will say though, and I've said it before, that I really don't agree with the O2's drink allowed policy. It just leads to a nastier atmosphere on the floor level when you have people getting buckled and spilling drinks all over others who have decided to watch the show rather than spend the entire gig doing shuttle runs to the bar. I like a cheeky pint as much as the next guy, but never had any hassle in the old point when you couldn't bring drink in to the show, whereas I've seen numerous scuffles break out since the re-opening involving drunken fools. Ruins it for everyone.
    I'd tend to agree with this, to be honest. I was beside two different people who literally collapsed last night during the gig. I really don't get the mentality behind spending x amount on a ticket to then get so f**ked up as to miss the show. You can do that any night of the week in the pub, FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    no matter how good or amazing a show is, you will always find people that will moan and say "i was disappointed blah blah"

these people just like to moan about something, my gf who didn't even know who Roger Waters is was stunned at how great the show was, keep in mind my gf would be a lady gaga/top 40 music lover.

If your disappointed by this show well then don't go to gigs, simple as.

Nobody is allowed to be disappointed by the show? Not everyone will enjoy the same things.

The line I highlighted makes absolutely no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Vico1612 wrote: »
    I guess I was just unlucky to have 2 crackheads next to me who passed out and had to be removed by the ambulance service :-)
    I must have been right beside you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I was at last night's (Tuesday) gig. There were no problems with sound that I could hear...I was in the balcony on the stage right side (block A). The visuals were superb. I was at one of the original "PINK FLOYD THE WALL" shows in Earlscourt and this show was every bit as breathtaking as the original.

One thing spoiled it slightly though....the number of absolute pr1cks who either came in late (8.25 for a show scheduled for 8 but which started around 8.15) or decided half way though that they couldnt do without another beer so they had everybody in the row stand up to let them out....well, all I can say is f**k you all...;-)

I can understand anybody who might have a weak bladder or any other genuine reason for leaving during the performance....but for f**k sake Ive paid nearly a ton for my ticket to a show in which the visuals are just as important as the audio and I want to be able to enjoy it without having to do the equivalent of a dozen mexican waves during it. You dont usually see people leave a theatre during a play to go for a pint and this show is as theatrical as you're going to get.

OK...rant over!

Now I live in hope that Roger and Dave are on good enough terms to think about working on an album together. RW has mentioned that he has enough material for two albums...or perhaps a double album.....now there's a thought.
    Little prospect though, I fear, that PF will ever tour again...still, new material would be better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Great show last night but completely the wrong venue. That gig needed to be fully seated and an attentive crowd. I hate the new O2, I've been there four times now to completely different acts. There's no atmosphere whatsoever and surprisingly awful acoustics.

I posted earlier about the problems with the shape of the O2 not being able to accomodate a seated audience for The Wall show.
    The trouble with the Dublin O2 is the fact that it was built/adapted "lengthways", with its amphitheatre design, in order to maximise capacity without interfering too much with the original Point Depot structure, which was a listed building.
    This arrangement usually works fine for fully seated shows. The problem is that the configuration for standing shows leads to a "balcony" being created, effectively turning the venue into a larger-scale version of a theatre set-up, but with more volume required. No other similar-sized venue that I am aware of has this ludicrous arrangement. When you consider places like the Odyssey in Belfast, the MEN in Manchester, the London Arena, the London O2, they are all conventional, arena configurations, with the stage at the end.

While the Dublin O2 set-up suits most conventional shows (AC/DC and Depeche Mode are two of the best big-scale concerts I've seen in the place that used giant screens to their full effect), certain shows - like The Wall - which rely on much more elaborate surround sound effects will suffer, for the simple reason that the crowd on the ground floor are having their experience "muffled" by a balcony that simply shouldn't be there.
    Recently, they have taken to having an "optimum standing" arrangement, as at Rush, where you have a very small standing area and no balcony, as the seats start from the fifth row of the tier. For me, this is the best option, but wouldn't suit every act. I mean, you couldn't put Iron Maiden in the O2 with that set-up.

When the whole Point Village was developed, the plan was to have a retail outlet and concert venue. What should have been done was to turn the exisiting Point Depot premises into the retail centre, and a brand new, purpose-built arena where the white elephant retail premises and Gibson Hotel currently stand.
    Okay, I've gone off topic, but the fact is that - as someone posted earlier - those who sat upstairs effectively fared much better than the people on the floor, which is a very rare thing indeed.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

exaisle wrote: »
    I was at last night's (Tuesday) gig. There were no problems with sound that I could hear...I was in the balcony on the stage right side (block A). The visuals were superb. I was at one of the original "PINK FLOYD THE WALL" shows in Earlscourt and this show was every bit as breathtaking as the original.

:eek: Jealous!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Came accross this :D

Roger Waters: The Wall Tour Facts & Figures
    • Length, width of wall
      • 240’wide
      • 35’6” high
      • 18” deep
    • Number of bricks in wall
    • Number placed in show
    • Number that will be used in tour (N.B. all bricks are from recycled sources, and will be re-recycled after use)
      • 3,000 bricks will be used for the US and European tour
    • Build time (i.e. length of time from placing first brick to placing last brick)
      • 45 minutes
    • Number of touring wall builders
      • 12 touring crew building wall
      • 8 Local crew assisting wall build
    • Number, height of man-lifts
      • 5 man lifts
      • Each lift
        • 20’ long
        • 4’ wide
        • 30’ high
    • Number, height of telescopic stabilizers
      • 10 Stabilizer’s
      • Each stabilizer 35’ high
    • Number of electric motors in all stage machines
      • 47 Electric motors total
    • Number of control axes for wall building
      • 20 axis of motion used for wall building
    • Length of all electric cables including lighting and sound and power
      • Over 100,000’ of cable (almost 20 miles)
    • Number of loudspeakers
      • 172 speakers are used in total including subs, surrounds and monitors.
    • Number of moving lights
      • 82 moving lights
    • Number of projectors
      • 23 projectors
    • Diameter of circular screen
      • Circular screen is 30’ diameter
    • Length/width of wall projection
      • 240’ wide x 25’ high
    • Number of control desks/people sitting at same
      • 12 Operators
    • Number of feet of truss/tracking truss
      • 1,520’ of truss
    • Number of scenery carts
      • 140 set carts
    • Number/size of inflatables
      • Teacher = 30’ High
      • Wife = 30’ High
      • Mother = 34’ High
    • Number of control axes for inflatables
      • Teacher = 12 axis
      • Wife = 9 axis
      • Mother = 2 axis
    • Weight of all rigged scenery
      • 55 tones total rigging to roof
    • Weight of all floor stuff
      • 57 tones
    • Weight of everything
      • 112 tones
    • Number of trucks
      • 21 Trucks total
    • Amount of power required to run show
      • 3,000 amps
    • Number of carpenters
      • 16 Carpenters (including puppet tech and op)
    • Number of lighting crew
      • 5 lighting crew (including lighting director)
    • Number of video crew
      • 5 video crew
    • Number of sound crew
      • 6 sound crew (including monitors & audio playback)
    • Number of backline crew
      • 4 backline crew
    • Number of automation crew
      • 6 automation crew (including operator)
    • Number of pyro crew
      • 3 pyro crew
    • Number of riggers
      • 4 riggers
    • Total number of touring crew
      • 66 touring crew total (excluding band party, which is 18 persons)
    • Number of busses
      • 6 tour busses
    • Number of local crew
      • 80 local crew

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Vico1612 - Really cool facts. Thanks for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    no matter how good or amazing a show is, you will always find people that will moan and say "i was disappointed blah blah"

these people just like to moan about something, my gf who didn't even know who Roger Waters is was stunned at how great the show was, keep in mind my gf would be a lady gaga/top 40 music lover.

If your disappointed by this show well then don't go to gigs, simple as.

Sorry but you're talking ****e. Im not a begrudging, "typical" moany Irish type .. I raised genuine concerns about the sound quality in back, lefthand side of the O2. It was rubbish - thats not moaning, it's fact, hence the need for that section of the audience to start chanting "turn it up" - which can be heard on the "Mother" clip posted earlier.
    Ive seen Roger Waters in 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008 and now 2011 and while Mon nights "production" was easily the best of anything he's done and probably won't be topped, the sound was easily the worst Ive encountered (and that includes the infamous power outage in Cork) - which is an awful pity for those of us who had to experience it. As I said, I managed to reposition myself to a more favourable area of the floor for the 2nd half (once people had started to go to the bar / toilets during the interval) - thankfully this saved the night for me. Had I had to stay where I was for the entire show it would have been a disaster.
    As for my "moan" about Roger's "Irish" accent - that's just one of my pet peeves - I detest that paddywackery bullsh!t and didn't expect it from a class act like Roger. But Im willing to forgive him.
    I completely agree with the points made about the O2's bar policy and that the show should have been all-seated or if not - should have had the "optimal seating" arrangement that was present at Rush.
    Good post by delbertgrady - nail on the head.

Interview with Roger on TodayFM (pre-recorded prior to the Dublin shows)

http://audioserver.todayfm.com/audio/rogerwaters.mp3

For those who've never seen or heard of this before - this contains some of the interesting original Wall Tour footage

http://www.tpimagazine.com/News/833311/pink_floyd_the_wall_the_lost_documentary.html

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

RayCon wrote: »
    I completely agree with the points made about the O2's bar policy and that the show should have been all-seated or if not - should have had the "optimal seating" arrangement that was present at Rush.

Even if it was fully seated the drink issue would still have been there. I was absolutely gobsmacked when during Eric Clapton's show 2 weeks ago The O2 had those guys with the back packs walking around DURING the concert selling beer. It really gets on my nerves and when I went to complain after another show a while back I couldn't find how to conctact them on their website!!

Anyway enough about that. It will continue whether we like it or not. My review of Monday's show has being published on Drop-d.

http://www.drop-d.ie/roger-waters-the-wall-the-o2-dublin/16438

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Vico1612 wrote: »
    I was standing in front of the mixing desks [ yes desks :-) ] and the sound was really great. But I can understand that people in the seated area , next to a sourround speaker, may have been surprised.
    Not too sure if The O2 was large enough to accomodate such a large production.... I've seen a few gigs there and they always been great but this one was the best when it comes down to video / lighting and sound.

That's where i was as well, great sound.
    My only complaing was the two seperate assholes who insisted on smoking and the crack head who was getting a litkle too rowdy but thankfully security removed him. Stunning show, fantastic night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The gig was great, but completely ruined by the gob****es around us who were drunk out of their skulls, staggering all over the place, smoking, spitting and snogging all through the show.

I've been to various standing show and never seen such a bad crowd. They spoil it for the people that want to see and hear the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

:D

305113213.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1306359144&Signature=G4LWovnTYfhyotYSIIdv4xHYXIM%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Twas but a tremendous show. This is what I saw:
    160514.jpg

160517.jpg

160518.jpgI couldnt resist editing this a bit to make it epic!!!

160519.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

RayCon wrote: »
    Interview with Roger on TodayFM (pre-recorded prior to the Dublin shows)

http://audioserver.todayfm.com/audio/rogerwaters.mp3

Hilarious! Did anyone notice that Roger basically refused to answer the question on the Montréal incident? Today FM actually took an excerpt directly from an interview he did with Absolute Radio's Russ Williams and pasted it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brr Something

I'm still buzzing from Monday night, we were seated right smack in the middle so we had an unreal view of everything. The sound was amazing where we were as well and the whole thing just knocked me for six. I had hoped for a good show but feck me expectations were completely blown out of the water. Doubt I'll ever see a better gig, and thankfully everyone around us was in great form and all on the same wavelength. Just one hell of an experience :)

For any guitar players. A nice video of Dave showing his guitars amps and pedals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpIs0KnpEtQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

That was the best gig I have ever been at.

And I work there.

hands down best sound, act, lights everything.

never forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I'd heard great things about Roger Waters gigs, with Tuesday being my first time to see him but that had to be seen to be believed.

Absolutely unreal stuff, never seen anything like it before. Astonishing.

It's not from the Dublin gigs but someone has put together a pretty good quality multicam of one of the gigs one the wall tour. I'd say a few more will be popping up soon.

http://sickman.x10.mx/Roger_Waters_The_Wall_MultiCam_2010.html

CiaranK wrote: »
    It's not from the Dublin gigs but someone has put together a pretty good quality multicam of one of the gigs one the wall tour. I'd say a few more will be popping up soon.

http://sickman.x10.mx/Roger_Waters_The_Wall_MultiCam_2010.html

Excellent job ... wonder if it's the Hop The Pond* guys who put this together

*They did the imfamous "Tripped Out In Cork" multicam DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Left before the interval on Mon night - terribly disapointed with the sound. Folks booing where we were. 5th time in new O2. Probably 10th proper gig this year in a variety of venue's here & abroad & cant recall a sound as non existent before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

edhead wrote: »
    Left before the interval on Mon night - terribly disapointed with the sound. Folks booing where we were. 5th time in new O2. Probably 10th proper gig this year in a variety of venue's here & abroad & cant recall a sound as non existent before.

The sound wasn't perfect.... Visually the finest I've ever seen by a long way though.

Things improved a tad after the interval

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

musicmania wrote: »
    Even if it was fully seated the drink issue would still have been there. I was absolutely gobsmacked when during Eric Clapton's show 2 weeks ago The O2 had those guys with the back packs walking around DURING the concert selling beer. It really gets on my nerves and when I went to complain after another show a while back I couldn't find how to conctact them on their website!!

Anyway enough about that. It will continue whether we like it or not. My review of Monday's show has being published on Drop-d.

http://www.drop-d.ie/roger-waters-the-wall-the-o2-dublin/16438

hello gwen,
    i thought your photos were brilliant but your discription of the concert in the link is so accurate too, thank you for sharing it, it really does some up my night between your pictures and your discription

Advertisement