Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Duathlon Champs...

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hey,

I am planning on keeping a blog again for the summer as I have really been struggling with motivation and training the last three months.

I had kept one before the 'Training Log' section was created but I cannot find it.

I had a really good base built from about October till March with some really consistent training, but I moved over to London for work, and since then things have fallen apart. I decided at the end of last week that I am not going to give up hope for this summer and really try and put the head down. The last three months I have done F all training, apart from a couple of good weeks, but really just a swim here or a run there.

Ill probably post up my races and goals here later on when I get a serious chance to think about what I can realistically achieve in a short time.

For now I have done some races, including Fingal Sprint and West Wicklow ROAR Adventure Race

Some thoughts on the races are:

Fingal Sprint
    * Swim - dissappointed with my time, poor.
    * Bike - dissappointed with my time, felt like I didnt really get going and thought that I should have been a good bit quicker.
    * Run - Was ok but felt like I didnt give it 100% and really kill myself

West Wicklow ROAR
    * Was a good race for me... but I made alot of mistakes and learnt so much
    * Should have finished well inside the top 10 if it wasnt for them, but fell just outside, and got schooled by my mate. Not going to happen again!
    * Kayak - had the fastest two person spilt without killing it
    * Bike times were excellent apart from the last spilt where I bonked... couldnt see on the decent without sunglasses
    * Run times - Uphills were excellent, I think top 5 for both, however I just threw easy time away on the downhills which is such a waste - really need to throw myself off the mountain
    * Bonked on the bike at the end / Wear sunglasses - the amount of flies in my eyes was not funny / Toe clips are the way forward.

This Sunday is Athy - I had goals at the start of the season, however I have thrown them out the window now. I just want to go out and smash it, and be happy with my effort whatever the time, really feel that I am pooped after.

I will start my training diary from last Monday, as it was from then that I decided I would get back to it, but some mates from OZ were over that week so there were some hiccups.

Monday - Nothing, out on the town
    Tuesday - 35min run at lunch, 1hr swim
    Wednesday - Nothing, out on the town
    Thursday - Nothing, recovering from Wednesday night, stayed in work till 11pm that night on 3hrs sleep the night before, and was still pissed in the morning
    Friday - Nothing, out on the town
    Saturday - 25min run to swimming, 75min swim (3200m give or take), 35 min run home
    Sunday - 2hr 30min, 75km on the bike, easy 45min runs in the afternoon with some hill reps
    Monday - 5hrs easy on the bike, rolling hills, no big hills around London, 150km with cycling club, last 45mins were smashed though. Felt good. Suprisingly the back wasnt too stiff. Usually it gets abit uncomfortable about 2hr 30min in
    Tuesday - Swim (AM); 75mins; Main set 15 x 150m
    Run (PM) - 8 x 400m on 69/70s with about 1min 20 recovery. Lungs felt good, but the legs definately felt tired on the last straight.
    25km on the bike commuting

The rest of the weak will probably be a bit easier. I was going to do a brick tomorrow night but not sure if it would be good for me - was thinking something like (6min bike interval + 4 min run) x 3. Swim on thursday morning.
    Fly back Friday night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Could be another at the top end of the race log - good luck snack

Whats the significance of the title........world duathlon champs???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I presume he's got a spot in Edinburgh in September?

Ill enjoy reading anyway. Best of luck with the months ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Wednesday - Didnt do anything apart from working late and commuting in and out to work, 25km total... legs are still feeling abit lethargic from monday's ride.
    Thursday - Commute by bike to work, Tube home, Swim for 50 mins with club...
    Set was 600 m, 6 x 50kick (legs probably didnt need this but you got to do whats on the board), 10 x 25 k/s alternative... main set was sprints... 4 x 50 max effort on 1.15, with 50 easy after... these were coming in anywhere from 36-40secs. hopped out then. About 2km total...

Feeling pretty tired now... hope I feel good tomorrow and looking forward to Saturday, although I havnt swam in open water since dublin last year, or in a wetsuit. sure it's all fun and games i guess...

over and out.

Friday I didnt do anything of Friday apart from work and then fly home after... Didnt get to bed till about 12.40 though and was up a 5.30.

Saturday - Race

Saturday was game day down in Athy... Really enjoyed the race although I probably wouldnt do it again due to the face that its so time inefficient, and too much hanging around before your start. Cracker of a day though.

The swim was pretty uneventful, not much too report... found it difficult to sight due to my 2 year old googles which fog up after 200m but got new one now. Was probably snaking abit and I tend to always swim to the right in open water being my strong side.

Onto the bike... felt good on the bike and pushed it pretty hard... Felt good and comfortable despite never being able to ride my TT bike. Had no one pass me and finished in 1hr 3mins. Was a bit dissappointed though not to be closer to 1hr 2 consider how I felt.

The run was good, felt good when I got going and ran out of transition with a guy a race in my AG. I knew he was a strong runner and thought I would just sit on his shoulder which I did till 1km which I did, and then decided that I was going to push it hard and see if I could catch someone 2 mins and then see if could hang. I was happy with my run though, got caught 1km from the finish line Finished the run in something like 40.40

Sunday Was just a recovery day - played golf

Monday Easy 35 - 40 mins run along Thames, 12km commute home

Tuesday Run Intervals on the track - 4 x 800 with 1.45 recovery and 4 x 400 with 1.45 recovery... Felt tired but was ok. More just lack of motivation. Times were 2.31, 2.30, 2.35, 2.40, 71, 72, 70, 69
    Commute to and from work - 25km

Wednesday Swim in the morning with the swim club, was so tired but had to go as havnt been doing any swimming. 1hr 15mins, probably about 3km
    Then 5 x 5mins hard intervals with 2 mins recovery on the bike home from work, 45km total commuting.

Will most up and coming races when I get a chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done in Athy. 63bike and 40 run is good going.

Whats the purpose of and target pace for that track sess? Seems like you were flat out based on those times, 69 for 400 on the last rep is motoring :eek:

• Advertisement

Hey,

The tuesday sessions are always intervals... Intervals I believe are the key to getting faster... Qualtiy over Quantity... For me quantity is easy but doing the quality, and really pushing yourself, and suffering is more important - things which I dont believe I am the best at and really could improve immensely in my ability to suffer.

The session was 8 x 800m with my local running club - I wasnt feeling great, and probably went out a little hard, so just 4 x 800m and 4 x 400m

This week has been a decent week so far

Thursday Didnt train in the evening as was having a going away dinner for my housemate and a few beers. Just commuted in and out from work.

Friday Just a 35-40 min run at lunch, again out that eveninig so nothing else.

Saturday Run - Swim Session - Run - Just an easy run out to swimming, about 25mins, Swim session was good. Felt ok but need to squeeze in a couple more next week - Easy run home, 25mins
    Swim session was for those curious...
    W/U - 4 x (100fs, 50k, 50drill)
    Did something after this but cant remember
    Main - 2x 250 on 4.15, 5 x 100 on 1.45, 10 x 50 on 60, 20 x 25 on 30s...
    Was ok session, 50's and 25's were a bit repetative but good to focus on technique and mix f/s with some b/k
    200 easy c/d

Sunday The plan is tomorrow is to do about 120km with the cycling club, and then maybe a fartleg run in the evening...

Races Planned for this year are so far...

Dunmore East (19th June) - next Saturday - Looking forward to and just want to smash myself up good... Will be the first sea swim since last August
    Kilkenny Oly (25th July) - will be hoping to do pretty well in this race... will be really building toward testing myself at this
    Gaelforce West (21 August) - Will be aiming for a top 10 finish, but really need to improve my downhill mountain running, and might struggle to practice this in London
    World Duathlon Champs (4 September) - A race of the year
    London Duathlon (11 September) - 20km/80km/10km - Should be fun...

*** Will be trying to add somemore 5/10km running races inbetween races, and do some timetrials too over here possible... Wil bring the TT bike over in the end of July to focus for the World Duathlon Champs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Good luck snack with the training, this log will make very interesting reading me thinks! That bike leg and run in Athy is up there with the best, well done. Looking forward to seeing how you progress. :)

Cheers man,
    I put in a good winter's training till about march and then completely feel off the wagon, but going to try and put the head down now for the rest of the summer. Looking forward to the challenge. Hopefully the blog will help with the motivation when I am feeling so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Whats your goal time for the world champ's?

Dont have a goal apart from trying to get around it as fast as possible... I will try and set myself some targets though when I get a chance to look at the course and previous times on it and what I realistically think I can achieve with smart training.

Sunday Made it out with the cycling club at the unearthly hour of 7am for 4hrs... Was sluggish at the start but felt good at about 1hr 30mins... Showed a few how you go up the hills, and did some really good crushing it towards the end.. Was a solid ride... Felt very good.
    Easy 45mins run in the eveninig just to finish things off.

Finished off a solid weeks training...
    *** Swim - x 2 Sessions
    *** Bike - Commuted x 4, Some light bike intervals, a hard ride (4hrs)
    *** Run - x 5, Intervals x 1... Need to fit in a 30mins threshold run though each week in the future

The Plan for next week is
    *** 3 x Swim Sessions (Mo/We AM - 90mins, and Thurs 45mins easy)
    *** 1 x Intervals (10 x 400s on the track on Tuesday evening)
    *** Commute in and out to work, Monday - Thursday, and maybe 4 x 5mins intervals Wed night, if I dont feel to tired
    *** Friday - fly home, rest day before Saturday

Enjoying training again now for the minute...

• Advertisement

Thanking it easier this week...
    The plan is just to try and get a few swims in, and do my intervals... on the way to achieving what I want of sorts...

Monday
    I didnt get up at 5.15 for swimming unsuprisingly - I was far to tired to make it. Swam in the evening though, but the pool heating was left on and it was to warm to swim properly. Tried to make the most of it and did lots of sprinting and practicing dive starts.
    35km commuting on the bike to swimming/work.

Tuesday
    Commute in and out of work, 24km and Intervals this evening on the track.
    Session was 12 x 400m, with 90sec recovery - the recovery is ideally too long for me but not sure I can quite hack it with the fast group just yet.
    Times were: 1.10, 1.10, 1.09, 1.11, 1.10, 1.11, 1.11, 1.11, 1.11, 1.12, 1.11, 1.10
    Pretty happy with the effort - much prefer 400s to 800s. Calves were getting very tight through out though.

Not going to make it up for swimming in the morning as just not arsed but plan is to skip bike intervals tomo evening - not sure 4 x 5mins would be beneficial and, just swim 90mins on Thursday morning with the club.

Continuation from above...

Wednesday
    I can barely remember to be honest. I think I just cycled in and out to work. 25km round trip.

Thursday
    Cycled in and out of work. 25km. Swim in the evening, only about 45 mins... the main set was 10 x 150m f/s off 2.40, then I hopped out.

Friday
    Just cycled into work, and then flew into Waterford for the race

Saturday
    Race day in Dunmore East. An absolute cracking weekend and race. The weather couldnt have been better, unfortunately I cant say the same about my race. It just didnt happen unfortunately for me. I had a decent swim despite getting kicked about at the start, but came out ahead of the usual suspects which was good. Had a poor transition and onto the bike, but just had absolutly nothing. I dont know why I just felt like I wasnt able to push it unlike in Athy where I felt great. The same on the run. I had a huge stitch right in the middle, and had people streaming past me. I picked it up at the last 2km when I was feeling better. Overall it was very dissappointing, but to be honest I dont care so much about it. Try and build from here.

The plan for trainin this week is something like this...

Monday Just cycled in and out of work
    Tuesday Commuting 25km. Supposed to be 75 min easy run, but was in work till late so I did 40mins, with 20mins hard at threshold. Unfortunately I have lost my HR monitor so I dont know what HR I was trying to hold.
    Wednesday Commuting 25km. Easyish run at lunch. Bike Intervals - 4 x 10mins hard with 3 mins easy
    Thursday Commuting 25km, Swim 1hr 15mins
    Friday Commuting 25km, Swim 1hr 15mins
    Saturday Undecided...
    Sunday Undecided...

The plan from now is to introduce a threshold run each week...

Well done man for giving Dunmore everything you got even when you knew things weren't going your way...it's called character building in my book.

Do you think it would help you if you set some specific training objectives/targets and maybe a date to achieve them. Has helped me greatly this year :)

Cheers El Director...

Yeah I am going to set a few goals...

The planned races for this year include the following...

5km Park Run (26th June) - This is gauge my fitness and to use as a benchmark for testing myself in a months time... Hope to go sub 17.30

10mile Road Race (3rd July) - Try and get as close to breaking 60 as possible...

10mile Time Trial (18th July) - Depends on entry, still trying to find out

Kilkenny Oly (25th July) - will be hoping to do pretty well in this race... will be really building toward testing myself at this... I am hoping that the field is weak enough... not sure yet but find out soon... The aim is to finish top 10

Finsbury Park 25mile Time Trial (8th August) - Sub 60mins

Gaelforce West (21 August) - Will be aiming for a top 10 finish, but really need to improve my downhill mountain running, and might struggle to practice this in London

World Duathlon Champs (4 September)
    - A race of the year

London Duathlon (11 September) - 20km/80km/10km - Should be fun...

The aim with my training for the next while is to...
    ** Swim - Min x2 a week, Squad Sessions
    ** Bike - Intervals x1, Commuting x5, Long Spin at the weekend but really pushing it when I can
    ** Run - Intervals x 1 on the track, a threshold run, Supplementary running.

If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them...

Wednesday - Was just a 30mins run at lunch and man was it hot... 3 x 10min intervals with 3mins easy after work. I have to get my HR monitor sorted asap as its important for intervals.

Thursday Swimming this evening, cycled 6km to and from.
    75mins, W/U: 600 (25f/s,25b/k), (100k, 4x25k sprint, 100 pull)x2, 50 easy
    Main: 6x(100f/s,100pull,4x25f/s sprints on 1.40/1.40/45s)
    C/D: 250 easy
    Total: 3300m

Friday The plan was to get up early and to go for a run but that didnt materialise. Optimistically I brought my running gear in to go for a run at lunch but really wasnt motivated so I just left it. Cycled in and out to work (25km round trip). Swam in the evening. Bit of a mixed set with sprint/IM/200s and 300s f/s but I felt pretty good, about 70mins, roughly 3300m.

Saturday
    The plan was to do a free 5 km run which is organised weekly in a park close by. Unfortuately it starts at 9am, and I wasnt quite sure how to get there by bike, as I couldnt find a map, so I just left it. It would have been good to use it as a benchmark.

I might try and make this a weekly session as I think it would be good for GFW and I think the duathlon course is hilly (well I know it is on the cycle anyways).

Instead I went to do a hills sessions with a local club. Unfortunately it was a poor turn out but still put in a decent session. Total running was about 1hr 20min, with 4 x 8-10mins reps of a 1.30-2.0min hilly loop. Was tired after.

Got home around 12.00, had a quick bite to eat, and then it was off to the pool. Felt tired but did the whole set in the end.
    W/U: 200f/s, 200b/s, 200b/k, 200f/s, 4 x 50s drills,
    Main: 3x(200f/s,2x25,150f/s,2x25,100f/s,2x25,100 mix easy) off 1.45/100m pace. Was pretty exhausted starting this but was happy to finish, holding 1.45/100m easily enough.
    C/D: 200m easy
    About 3300 in total in 70mins

Tomorrow its 3hr30-4hr ride with local cycling club - I hope my legs are feeling better than they were cycling home from swimming... or else it will be a long day.

Sunday

Bike: 3hr15mins; 100km

Unfortunately today I missed the group ride. I got where I was supposed to be for 7.15, at the pick up point, but the group had left already. I was pretty mad with myself to say the least as I had plenty of time to spare at home before.
    I ended up doing 3hr15min by myself so it wasnt too bad. I could still feel yesterday's effort in my legs, but was solid enough all the same. My back was really sore however after, it was sore on Saturday too but loosened out eventually.

I had planned to run tonight but was too tired after watching the England game. I thought it would be more determental to this week, and didnt really serve any purpose in my long term goals.

The Plan for next week is:

Monday PM: 75mins easy run with 3 x 7mins efforts with 3mins easy

Tuesday AM: Swim, 90mins PM: Run Intervals 12 x 400m

Wednesday Lunch: 40mins run at lunch PM: Bike Intervals: 3 x 10mins, 3 x 5mins with 3/2mins recovery between

Thursday PM: Run 60mins easy

Friday AM: Swim, 90mins or Easy spin on the bike

Saturday AM: 10mile road race PM: Swim, 75mins

Sunday AM: Bike: 3.5-4hrs PM: 60min run

The Idea is too increase my running volume slightly for the next few weeks (incorporating one intervals session and one threshold sessions)
    Swim: x 2minimum, any extra will only be if I cant/shouldnt run
    Bike: Intervals x 1, Long bike x 1
    Core: 4 x 15mins sessions

Monday
    Commute in and out from work
    Run - Was late out of work, and starving and wrecked during the run so only ended up doing 50mins. Very enjoyable all the same. Needless to say I didnt make it up for swimming on Tuesday morning.

Tuesday
    Commute in and out from work.
    Run - Intervals on the track, 800 w/u, 12x400m with 75 sec recovery, 800 c/d
    Honestly suprised with my times as I didnt think I was feeling good.
    69, 70, 70, 70, 69, 70, 69, 70, 70, 71, 69, 70

Thinking about getting up for swimming tomorrow but who knows what will happen when the 5.15am alarm goes off!

Wednesday
    Run - Ran home from work, 60mins easy. Calves were super tight and had to stop and stretch them out pretty often unfortunately.

Thursday
    Commute in and out from work
    Swim - Around 3km set in about 75mins... Cant really remember the exact set but there was 24 x 50's on 60s with 8 x 25hard/25easy, 8 x 25easy/25hard, 8 x 50 hard... and (4 x 25 sprints on 30, with 100 recovery pull) x 4

Friday
    Just commuted in and out from work. Didnt go swimming this evening as if I had I would have not gotten up at 06.15 for the 10mile race planned

Saturday
    10 Mile Race / Swim Session
    Plan was for a 10mile race, which was to be my threshold run for the week.
    Cycled out to the race in Battersea Park, which is at least 20km away from my house, so a 40km trip there and back. Got out there easy, and registered as it was just a low key race with maybe 200 or so entrants.

The plan was to try and stick to a 60min 10mile, however as I suspected I just couldnt. I found this race to be quite though in the middle. I wasnt feeling great with my stomach. In hindsight I ate 1hr 30mins before the start and had a cereal bar too about 15mins before, along with water. By mile 7 I was feeling better and pushed on. Overall I finished in 62.40. I accidently deleted my spilts off my watch but the only sub 6min mile was the first one which was 5.48, and the next one was 6.03 after that they went up in the middle and then came down again towards the end. I think mile 8 was maybe 6.12, and mile 10 something like 6.01.

Cycled home after the race and had some more breakfast and then was out the door to swimming, 5km cycle each way.

Swim - 75mins
    W/U - 200 f/s, 200 b/k, 16 x 25k
    Main - 2 x (4 x 25, 4 x 50, 6 x 100, 4 x 50, 4 x 25) the 100's were off 1.45 and 1.40 respectively for each set.

Was pretty pooped, and was out with mates till 2am so unsuprisingly I didnt make it up for the club cycle the next morning.

Sunday
    Bike - 2hrs 15mins, with 2 x 10mins intervals. The legs were feeling pretty tired and it was pretty windy out.

My back is still very sore and tight, when cycling, although not nearly as bad as last Sunday, although I am hoping the sports massage on Wed this week will help things out.

This week I managed
    Swim - x 2 Sessions,
    Bike - Commuted 4 days, 100km, and x 1 2hr 15mins Spin
    Run - Intervals, Threshold Run (10mile Race), x2 Other Runs
    Core - x 3 times (15mins)

The plan for next week is:
    Swim - x 2 Sessions
    Bike - x 1 Long / x 1 Intervals
    Run - x 1 Intervals / x 1 Threshold Run / x 1 90min runs
    Core Work - x 4

Monday
    AM - Swim - 60mins, Main set was 16 x 50 (on 60s 4 building, 4 hard), 20 x 25 (on 45/40/35/30/25), 16 x50(on 60s 4 building, 4 hard), 25 x 25 (on 45/40/35/30/25)

PM - Run - Was an easy 90mins run - trying to do a couple of 2 hr runs in the build up to GFW and with a view to running the Dublin Marathon in October.

Commute in and out to work - 25km

Tuesday

PM - Run Intervals - The legs were very tired so instead of 8 x 800s I only did 4 x 800 and 4 x400. Times were:2.30, 2.29, 2.30, 2.32, 1,15, 1.10, 1.13, 1.12

Commute in and out to work - 25km

Wednesday

PM - 1hr Sport Massage

Thursday

PM - Run/Swim/Run - 30mins easy run to the pool, 1hr swim, 30mins easy run home

Swim set was 50x50 on 55/50 with the 55 being 25 easy/hard and the 50 being even paced. Left after about 40 of the 50.

The plan for the rest of the week is
    Friday - Run 30mins @ Lunch
    Saturday - Bike Intervals/Run Intervals Brick, PM: Golf
    Sunday - Long Bike, 3hrs PM: Golf

• Advertisement

Last weekend was all about the golf.

I didnt really get to train over the weekend as my parents were over, so I played golf with them on the Saturday / Sunday.

I did however manage to squeeze in some bike intervals on the Saturday morninig - 2 x 20mins, 5mins easy, 4 x5 mins with 3mins easy...

This week the plan is:

Swim: x2 Swim Sessions
    Bike: x2 Sessions (1xAfter Work, 1x3hrs +)
    Run: Long Run 2hrs, 10km race
    Core: x3mins

Monday
    Commuting in/out of work - 25km
    Run - 65mins easy before work

Tuesday
    Run - Swim - Run - Easy run to swimming (6km 30mins), 60mins swim (2500m), easy run home (6km 30mins)

Wednesday
    Bike - Went for a spin after work for the first time. Probably did about another 2hrs, or 55km-60km more or so.

Thursday
    Run - 2hrs before work easy run

Friday
    Nothing planned for today... Probably a few beers after work

Saturday
    AM - Cycle 20km out to 10km race and cycle home again
    PM - Swim 1hr 15mins, 3000km

Sunday
    AM - 3hrs + with club (if I make it for once)
    PM - 60-75mins easy run

This week turned out to be a fairly solid week of training. Unfortunately the couple of beers on Friday night turned into many beers, and I didnt make the 10km race which was planned. I tried to make the most of the day by running to swimming and back again though I was exhausted afterwords.

A mate of mine is over from America this week so not sure how much training I am going to get done. I am going to try and limit the alcohol intake, as I know I have a race on Saturday, which I will be doing either was as I have entered. Hopefully though I will manage a couple of swims, and a few lunch time runs.

Monday
    Run - 65mins easy before work

Tuesday
    Run - Swim - Run - Easy run to swimming (6km 30mins), 60mins swim (2500m), easy run home (6km 30mins)

Wednesday
    Bike - Went for a spin after work for the first time. Probably did about another 2hrs, or 55km-60km more or so.

Thursday
    Run - 2hrs before work easy run

Friday
    Ended up having a few too many beers on Friday night and missed the race the next day.

Saturday
    Unfortunately missed the race this morning.
    Ran 30mins to swimming, swam for 1hr with club, ran for 30mins home.
    Was really exhausted after the night before

Sunday
    AM - 4hrs, 120kms or so... was out with the club and was a really good ride... was pretty smashed after and I had to go for a nap once I got home. There was a guy out who used to ride with Sean Kelly when he was a junior. Your man was still an absolute beast considering he is 55 now. He had some interesting stories too.
    PM - 65mins easy run this evening, was feeling strong if not a bit bored and lethargic from running.

All in all it was a decent weeks training.
    Swim - x2
    Bike - x2
    Run - x5
    A total of about 17hrs (including commuting)

Its been a long long time since I last posted...

I did write a post a good while back which I just email to myself...

this is it below

Its the week from 19th to 25th July 2010

There wasnt much training done last week (30mins run was all!) as a friend of mine was over during the week. The week before my last triathlon I felt that I did too much training, and was left jaded for Dunmore East. This week all I did was a 30mins run on Tuesday for 30mins at lunch.

I got about 5.30hrs the night before Kilkenny, but felt fine once I was up the next morning. I felt the race went pretty well for me all things considered.

I was happy enough with the result, finishing in 2hr10mins, 9mins behind the winning time...
    Swim - I didnt particularly feel as strong as I have previously mainly due to the lack of swimming which I have been doing lately
    Bike - I felt I pushed myself pretty hard on the bike, but didnt feel that I over exerted myself. Unfortunately I never get to ride my TT bike as its in Dublin
    Run - I struggled for the first half of the run... it was the same problem which I tend to always have during triathlon... as opposed to my lungs and legs burning, I tend to find that it is more stomach cramps that is the problem

Looking at my splits, based on the top 10, and ranking them from best to worst mine were
    Swim: 6/10
    Bike: 5/10
    Run: 7/10

This Saturday I havnt done any training, and have been feeling really tired - I had a total of 15hrs sleep from Fri/Sat/Sun night.

I had planned to do intervals tonight (Tuesday) but really feeling tired so just going to relax...

The plan for the rest of the week is to get a fair bit of training done, as I have Friday and Monday off, and I am heading home for the weekend again.
    I hope to get a pretty solid block of training done over the weekend.

Unfortunately I decided not to do the World Duathlon, as I havnt done nearlly as much training as I would have liked.

26th July - 1st August 2010

A combination of racing/nights out/lack of sleep left me sick during the week and I ended up getting little or no training done.

I headed home for the weekend and managed to get some training done however. It was something like:

Friday: Bike - 2hrs 45min, Blessington Lakes, 80km - Was feeling **** but didnt want to waste a day off work. Rained the whole way. Miserable
    Saturday: Bike - 3hrs - Up to Sally Gap - Again felt absolutely rank and had nothing in me
    Sunday: Bike - 3hrs 30min mountain biking - Great spin, lots of climbing and was feeling better

Monday 2nd August - 9th August 2010

Monday: Run - Dont know how I ended up getting after a seriously messy night out with the lads I got home a 6am and got up at 110am for a 1hr 30min run up the mountain - was still pissed when I got up but the run cleared it out of my system thankfully.

Tuesday Run Intervals - First time back in about 4 weeks - was absolutely shockingly slow

Can really remember what I did during the week, but it was probably just a few runs.

Friday Nothing

Saturday Bike Intervals (90mins total; 4x5mins with 2 min easy; 4x3.5min 10% hill climb), 1hr run an hour or so later

My brothers were over this weekend so Saturday was a big night out - Sunday was a complete right off unfortunately

Monday 9th August - 15th August 2010

Pretty solid week - some good sessions but no crazy volume

Monday 1hr 50min run home from work with backpack

Tuesday Run intervals in the rain - Deleted my spilts without writing them down - 12 x 400m, 75sec recovery - they were all under 72 secs for each one - Really punished myself - good session

Wednesday
    Commute in and out of work
    Supposed to be bike intervals after work but my legs were just 'goosed'. Only managed 3 x 5mins before pulling the pin on the session

Thursday
    Literally legged it from work to a 10km race. Got number/changed etc, with about 30 sec to spare before the start (no warm or anything). Went out way to hard, through 2km in 6.30, 5km in 17.33 and finished in 5th (36min 50sec which is a new pb for me). I was in 3rd position at about 7km or so but dropped back to 5th.

I knew before that this would really hurt and it was exactly what I was looking for - really felt the pain - felt really dehydrated from the race - I should have drank more water in work

Friday
    My legs were goosed - no running for me
    Barbaquee and house party

Saturday
    Run - Solid 90mins run in the pissing rain - some seriously nipple chafing issues now though

Sunday
    Bike - Could not sleep on Saturday night after way to many coffees. Only got 4hrs.

Out with club for a longish spin - 4hrs15min, 125km or so... Legs were ok to spin but had to juice of zip... I think the run took any zip from them... Good spin however before Gael Force this weekend

This Week

This week I am going to take it super super easy in preperation for GFW.

Probably cycle in/out of work on Monday/Tuesday

Monday - Swim - first time in ages

Tuesday - Half an interval session purely on feel

Wednesday - Nothing

Thursday - Nothing

I took this week super easy in the run up to Gael Force West as this is what I find is usually the best approach for me.

Monday - Nothing
    Tuesday - 2km w/u, 5 x 400m on 2.30-2.35, 2km c/d
    Wednesday - Nothing
    Thursday - Commute in/out of work, 25km
    Friday - Travelled home early, and spent most of the day getting ready for GFW and then heading down to Westport

Gael Force West

Super race, although an expensive weekend all in all but really enjoyed and found it a super challenge.

Got there very late on Friday night and didnt get to registration till very late, and wasnt in bed till 11.30pm. Up at 4.30 for breakfast and the 5am bus.

Stage 1 - Run One - 01:02:28

I took the first stage easy enough, and it wasnt too taxing. The goal was to go out at a moderate pace but not to hurt at all.

Stage 2 - Kayak - 00:09:29

Eventless stage

Stage 3 - Run Two - 00:15:23

Felt good on the run and picked up a few people along this stage, especially on the road

Stage 4 - Bike - 01:19:42

I felt great coming out on the bike, and was really looking forward to pushing it, as I came out of tranition in a group of 5 people.

However I am not sure what happened to my rear deraileur and I was stuck in the second smallest cog the whole way around. I was absolutely gutted as I lost so much time here. I tried to get off to fix it a few times but to no avail unfortunately. I went up all the hills in the 13, and it messed my legs right up.

Stage 5 - Run Croach Patrick - 00:32:56/00:15:03

Walk up as quick as possible - Cannot see how you can run this.
    I tried to push it coming down and fell and went over on my ankles a couple of times on the rocky sections, I think this held me back then on the heather where I should have been a lot quicker. I also felt pretty beat up from running down hill by this stage

Stage 6 - Bike Two - 00:34:19

I came off Croack Patrick in 18th spot, however I got lost on the last stage, missing a turn off and ended up taking a much longer route back to the finish, meaning I lost four spots.

Was raging at the end of this.

However all in all I was pretty happy.

My goal beforehand was a top 20 which was easily achievable if I had not missed the turn on the last cycle.

The bike mechancal was also a kick in the teeth as I believe that I could have been at least 10mins quicker on the bike, and a top 15 spot was easily achievable. All in all happy enough though...

Cannot walk now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sorry to hear you are not doing the worlds man, is this still the case? You have a high work ethic and I think you have plenty done. Perhaps planning your recovery strategy over the season will limit how often you feel goosed ;) Well done at GF man, that was a solid race and testament maybe to the level of fitness you have!

Well done on GF dude, that was a solid performance. Tough luck on the bike problem and taking the wrong turn. After another year or two of tri's I am thinking of having an easy year, doing only 2/3 tri's and concentrating on something different like GF, it sounds and looks fun!

Cheers Lads,

The main reason for not doing the Worlds Duathlons is cash. I havnt put the work into training that I would have loved to have done, so I can justify spending probably 500e just to take part. Unfortunately I dont have that sort of money burning a hole in my pocket at the minute. If i did I would probably go but I dont.

Still happy with GFW, but was having a quick look at what I plan on doing over the next two months and still have quite a bit on the cards...

The rough plan is

11.09.10 - London Duathlon (20/80/10)
    25.09.10 - Wicklow Adventure Race
    17.10.10 - Austin, Texas 70.3 (1.9/90/21.1) Not certain yet though.
    Every other week I plan on doing a running race hopefully as my threshold session and to try and lower a few pb's in doing so. (mainly 10km from the look of runnerworld.co.uk but wouldnt mind squeezing in half marathon too)

Things which I need to start doing are:

* Start swimming again - AM sessions x 2 a week are a must to get fit again if I am racing the HIM in October (x2 min swims overall a week)

* Running Races for threshold sessions, and learning how to hurt

* Tuesday night Intervals (400/800s), Thursday night intervals/threshold - not sure what thursday sessions will be as I have to see what the other local club do on Thursdays

* Long runs weekly (90-120mins)

* Sunday morning spins with London Phoenix CC

* Core work at home - 15mins x 4 days/week

* Consistency throughout my training.

If anyone has any adive, please post, as this is why I am keeping this blog - not just to log training cause I can do that myself - whether your a runner/cyclist/triathete I would love to hear from you. Thanks

Its amazing how much those adventure races take out of you (or the mountain running element in particular). I could barely walk Sun-Tues this week, as my quads were completely blown. I could barely touch them.

Needless to say I didnt get any real training done mid week, as was in recovery mode.

Monday 23.08.10
    Nothing

Tuesday 24.08.10
    Swim, PM, 45mins, first swim in 6 weeks. Not pleasant.

Wednesday 25.08.10
    Cycle in/out of work, 25km, loosing the legs

Thursday 26.08.10
    Nothing

Friday 27.08.10
    Cycle in/out of work, 25km

Saturday 28.08.10
    Bike - 2hr30mins very easy
    Run - 15min off the bike

Sunday 23.08.10
    Bike - 4hr 15min with CC, 130km
    Run - 1hr easy

*** The cycle on Sunday morning made me realise just how much GFW took out of me. I was really really struggling when normally I would consider myself one of the stronger ones. At times I was fighting to hold onto the back wheel, knowing that I was dropped that was me gone from the group. Was like a bike race I guess. Was glad once it was done as that was one tough spin.
    *** Easy 1hr run in the evening. Was tired, but more lacking any motivation, and its so hilly where I live that its very difficult to keep the HR low going up hills.

Anyways. I have 3 big races (4hrs+ ish) in the next 7 weeks, and I know that to be honest I can only train and race one of them well. As these take so much out of you, and require so much time to recover.

The calendar looks like:

Sun 5 Sept 2010 - [B Goal]
    Either 10km race or 50mile TT

Sat 11th Sept 2010 - [C Goal]
    London Duathlon - I entered this ages ago, and was stupid in doing so as it has no appeal to me, however I paid £100 in doing so, so I dont want to throw the money away. Its an 20km, 80km, 10 race. A friend of mine is over this weekend, and that Sat night will be a messy one for sure.
    My options are:
    * Man up do the race
    * Do first run, treat it as a half marathon, go hard and drop out at T1,
    * Do the 20km/80km and treat it as a tough training session, with the view to dropping out depending on how things go. Bearing in mind there will be no training on Sunday (possibly Monday!)

Sun 19th Sept 2010 [B Goal]
    Hampstead 10km race

Sat 25th Sept 2010 [A Goal]
    WAR Adventure Race
    Aim: Go hard and smash myself again: Min top 10 position

Sun 3rd Oct 2010 [TBC]
    10km Race

Sat 10th Oct 2010 [TBC]
    10km Race

Sun 17th Oct 2010 [A Goal]
    Austin, Texas, 70.3 (HIM)
    Aim: sub 4hr 30mins (see how it goes! its hot in Texas!)
    Swim: <30mins
    Bike: <2hr30min
    Run: <1hr30min
    + loose change + T1/T2

For this to be achievable I need to:

* Start swimming again - AM sessions x 2 a week are a must to get fit again if I am racing the HIM in October (x2 min swims overall a week). Must start this week!

* Running Races for threshold sessions, and learning how to hurt

* Tuesday night Intervals (400/800s), Thursday night intervals/threshold - not sure what thursday sessions will be as I have to see what the other local club do on Thursdays

* Long runs weekly (90-120mins)

* Sunday morning spins with London Phoenix CC

* Core work at home - 15mins x 4 days/week

* Consistency/Perserverance/Dedication - Remembering the goal!

Monday 30.08.10

Bank Holiday here. Just a long easy run during the afternoon. 1hr 30mins easy.

Tuesday 31.08.10

Commute in/out of work - 25km

Run Intervals - I found my HR moniter strap after about 6 months there so I can start logging HR details again.
    My aim was not to go out to hard, and try to keep consistent throughout the session. Session was 8x800m with 1.30-1.45 min recovery. 800m w/u, c/d with stretching before.

Time Avg. HR
    2.36 150HR avg.
    2.32 172HR avg.
    2.38 176HR avg.
    2.35 179HR avg.
    2.36 180HR avg.
    2.35 184HR avg.
    2.35 185HR avg.
    2.36 187HR avg.

A 2.35.375 average for the 8 (Pretty happy with that - just under 3.15 km/min pace)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 01.09.10

Run - 45 mins easy

Thursday 02.09.10

Run - Swim - Run - 30min run to swimming, 60min swim (2nd swim in about 7 weeks or so. wasnt the most pleasant), 30min run home

Advertisement