Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Duathlon Champs...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Friday 03.09.10

Run - Run home from work, was pretty tough with a heavy backpack and felt it in the legs and the knees, 1hr, 12km or so.

Saturday 04.09.10

Bike - A solid 4hrs by myself, 120km. Legs felt decent - I didnt make it out for a run as was heading out that night.

Sunday 05.09.10

Plan was for 1hr 30min but was super tired so I just did a 40mins easy run

All in all a decent week. Some thoughts:
    * I didnt get to a 10km race on Sunday unfortunately as I had to head out Saturday night
    * Swam - Got a swim in, although wasnt great, I know in a few weeks I will be close to where I was earlier in the summer
    * Bike - Commute 1hr x 3, 1 x 4hrs Spin
    * Run - 6runs, 1 x intervals (8x800) and 1 x long run roughly 70km
    * Need to start remembering to do core work - only did it once this week.

Monday 06.09.10

Run-Swim-Run - 30mins run to swimming, 60 mins squad session, 30mins run home.

Tuesday

Commuting - 25km - 1hr
    Run - Intervals - Only abovut 5km or so - I was late as was stuck in work, and jumped in the third 400. I did 6 x 400 and 4 x 200 as I wasnt feeling great. Been pretty stressed with work the last fewe weeks. The first 5 x 400 were all 68/69s, and then 200 were 34/35 sec.

Wednesday

I was in work late so missed a session

Thursday

I had planned to run to work, but was too tired and had no motivation.

75 mins run home, 15km or so.

The plan for tomorrow is to swim in the evening and then on Sat I am either doing a 10km race, or if that is full a 10mile race. Hope to knock out a 36 something for the 10km, considering I did a poorly paced 37.09 on very tired legs a while back.

Friday 10.09.10

Swim - 75mins in evening

Nothing Saturday/Sunday/Monday

Tuesday 14.09.10

Swim - 60mins in Main Set: 100mod,50hard x 10 on 3mins

Wednesday 15.09.10

Run - 60min run home

Thursday 16.09.10

Run-Swim-Run - 30mins run easy to/from swimming
    Swim: 75mins
    w/u: 500 easy mix, 4 x 50 k/fs, 100 pull, 4 x 50 k/fs, 200 back
    main: (75 on 1.20 w/ 2nd 25 drill, 50 easy on 60, 25 hard on 35)x10
    Some other bits too... Total = 3200m

Friday 17.09.10

Was pretty tired after work so just took easy Friday night - no training

Saturday 18.09.10

Bike - 3hrs solid on the bike, 90km
    Swim - 1h15min; 3000m
    Run - Was tired and after a trip to Decathlon I didnt feel like running

Sunday 19.09.10

Bike - 3hrs 45mins on the bike, 100+km
    Run - Easy 40mins in the evenings

All in all it was a decent weeks training...

Thoughts:
    * Swim - x3 times; starting to feel better again
    * Bike - x2 spins; feeling solid on both and good running sunday evening
    * Core - Some core work although need to start doing more
    * Probably close to 14hrs with 2 days off, and over 8hrs on sat/sun and still feel fresh

Next week is just going to be a super easy week in the run up to WAR on Saturday. Really looking forward to smashing myself. There has been some OK training between GFW and WAR, but did miss a couple of races unfortunately.

The London Duathlon turned out to be on a Sunday not a Saturday as I had previously thought, so I couldnt do it as some friends were over and were having a house party... Wasnt to dissappointed to be honest, more annoying though when you pay for an entry and then dont show up... I dont like that!

I didnt do any training this week, as I was working late most nights.

Monday 20.09.2010
    Nothing

Tuesday 21.09.2010
    Nothing

Wednesday 22.09.2010
    Nothing

Thursday 23.09.2010
    Cycle in/out of work, 25km

Friday 24.09.2010
    Nothing

Saturday 25.09.2010

Saturday I was racing WAR. I borrowed a bike for the event but due to not having an allen key I couldnt get the saddle up, and I only got it done about 5mins before the start of the long race. I wasnt changed or have any of my nutrition ready so I decided that I would just do the Sport instead.

This was starting to look like GFW all over again.

Anyways I felt a bit lame doing the sport, no offence to anyone but shouldnt have been doing it as it wasnt a real challenge for me. Having said that however I did manage to get lost running down the first run, and ended up at the top of Shay Elliot climb, and ended up running down the road and back to transition that way. I had a wicked stitch and stopped a fre times (probably because of the sandwich I had before the race which was stupid!).
    I went from 1st to 15th, but had caught the lead man by the river crossing but I didnt know till I got back to transition.

I win is a win however, and this is the first race which I have won.

Sunday 26.09.2010

Bike - 2.5hrs mountain biking

Monday 27.09.2010

Nothing

Tuesday 28.09.2010

Wednesday 29.09.2010

Run - 1hr run home from work in the rain, 12km.
    My hamstring is a little funny after the race on Saturday.

Hopefully going to have a sit down and write some goals for the next few weeks or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

well done on the win champ, you set top10 as an A goal and smashed that! Yeah you can only race who shows up even if its well within you. Kudos for getting the lead back after getting lost! Hows the prep going for Texas?

Thursday 30.09.10
    Commute - 25km on the bike.
    Run - Swim - Run - 30mins run to and from swimming (1hr session). For the life of me I cannot remember the set but I was there. Still swimming like an absolute brick.

Friday 01.10.10

Run - 1hr run home from work

Saturday 02.10.10

Bike - AM - 3hrs by myself
    Swim - 1hr after cycle - 1hr 15mins - Lots of 1 arm Fly/Back/BS. Still felt like a complete brick in the water.

Sunday 03.10.10

AM - 1hrs swim/1hr 10min run. Swim m/s 200f/s pull, 8x25 build/sprint, 200f/s pull, 4x50 build on 3.30,45,3.30,60 x 2

* It was a solid enough week training wise considering I missed Mon/Tue. Starting to feel like winter with it being dark heading home in the evening now. Only session which I didnt do this week was the club 7am cycle this morning which I do and dont regret. The rainfall radar lied and I went swimming instead but realistically my bike/run are not going to improve before Austin 70.3 on Sunday week.

* Looking forward to winter training now, and getting back into things. I really need to start hitting the specific sessions and not just runs here and there home from work but intervals sessions for example. Going to start setting spefic goals and weekly training and stick it up on my wall, otherwise I am just going to be staying still when I want to be moving forward. Hoping to try and make getting out on the bike Sat/Sun a weekly thing from now on (after my holiday and weather depending of course). I will also always do at lease 1 x swim a week to avoid what I am experiencing now.

* The plan for this week is (hopefully!):
    Mon - Bike In/Out Work; Run-Swim-Run
    Tues - Bike In/Out Work; Run Intervals (Maybe try a new club)
    Wed - Bike In/Out Work; TBC
    Thurs - Bike In/Out Work; AM: 1.45 - 2hr run
    Fri - Bike In/Out Work; Swim
    Sat - Bike In/Out Work; Bike, Swim, Run (maybe 10km race)
    Sun - Bike In/Out Work; TBC

* Entered Austin 70.3 in two weeks. To be honest I am just doing it to enjoy it. Dont even have a bike sorted for it but hoping to rent one. Should be good!

Good start to the week so far:

Monday 04.10.10
    Commute In/Out of Work - 35km
    Run-Swim-Run: 30mins run each way to & from swimming.
    Starting to feel better in the water again now:
    w/u: 500 mix, 8x25 k/fs, 2x200 pull breathing every 4/5th stroke
    m: 15x100 off 1.45

Tuesday 05.10.10
    Commute In/Out of Work - 35km
    Went running with a new club this evening and paid a visit to the hurt box. It was only myself and another lad doing a threshold session, as some of the other were doing a 10mile 7min/mile pace run.
    We did 20min/15mins/10mins @ threshold with 3min jog recovery. I wasnt wearing a HR monitor but I was nearly hallocinating on the last rep. Fupped now, but this is what I need and what is in store from now on.

Wednesday 06.10.10
    Commute In/Out of Work - 25km

Thursday 07.10.10
    AM - Was supposed to be a 1hr 30mins + run before work but I just couldn't get up. Really really need to start pulling the finger out, and harden up.
    PM - Decided to go to the new running club again tonight (Mornington Chasers), and did 15-20min w/u & c/d and 5x1km on the track with 2min jog recovery (Times: 3.19,3.24,3.15,3.21,3.27).

* The legs were feeling tired especially after Tuesdays session. I dont think that I can handle two full hard sessions per week just yet, but will try and build up to it.

Friday 08.10.10
    PM - Swim - 70mins - 3000m
    w/u - 200fs, 200bk, 200fs
    main - 12 x 75 on 1.20 (25drill, 25 Distance Per Stroke, 25 swim)
    24 x 50m on 65 in blocks of 3 (50 easy, 50 medium, 50 hard)
    c/d - 300 m easy

* The swiimming is starting to get back there but probably need another few weeks before Austin 70.3 which I dont have.

Saturday 09.10.10
    Toyed with the idea of a 3hr bike ride, but was too tired and just decided to sleep in and go for a 45min swim later on.
    Out drinking most of the day/night - not a good taper for Austin next Sunday

Sunday 10.10.10
    Hungover most of the day, or more exhaustion.
    PM - Run - 45mins very easy run to try loosen the limbs up.
    10min of core work/push ups.

* Overall a solid enough weekend even if there wasnt much training done over the weekend. It wouldn't matter either way as all the work is done now, and all that is left to do is to try and get myself in as good as shape as possible for Sunday morning 7.55am when my wave is off.

* Plan for this week is: Swim x2, Easy Run, Cycle in/out to work

• Advertisement

Ironman Austin 70.3

Well I cannot remember exactly what I did in the week in the run up to Ironman Austin 70.3, but I know that I cycled in and out to work, swam maybe once and ran once too in preparation for the race.

I was only ever doing this race for fun since I was in Austin when it was on and had no real expectations for the race itself, only to try enjoy it and experience racing overseas which is something new to me. I know I set times before but these were long since thrown out the window in my head.

Friday 15.10.2010

Flew out to Dallas on Friday afternoon and then onto Austin, Tx. I got into Austin around 10pm and got picked up by my mate at the airport where we headed to a friend´s of his apartment for some pre drinking or pre gaming as they say in the US. Although I only had a few beers on Friday night, I didnt get to bed till 3am US time, which translated to 9am UK time, meaning I had been up for 24hrs straight before falling asleep on one of my mate´s friend´s couch.

Saturday 16.10.2010

After 5 hours sleep I headed out to register for the race, and after that picked up the bike which I was borrowing for the race. Unfortunately I quickly knew that this race was not going to be much fun with the heat. At night it tends to be cool, but once the sun is up its just HOT!

After registration I had time to kill while waiting for my mate to come and pick me up. I found it interesting to observe how people in the US behave compared to those back home. Most people were fully kitted out in the Ironman branded gear, possible the most conspicuous clothes you could imagine. Personally I have no interest in anything like that, and the only thing which I would wear would be my club gear. Prehaps I am just more humble, but I have no interest in telling anyone that I do Ironman, or even triathlons etc or what not. I do it as a challenge and that´s that, simply out of my own interests. Also everyone, of all sizes racing seemed to shave their legs!

Sunday 17.10.2010

I got out to the race site nice and early and had plenty of time before the start. The organisation of the race, and busing the competitors and spectators to the start was a smooth operation.

I was pretty impressed though that when they were playing the US national anthem before the start of the PRO waves, they had some skydive in and then parachute with a massive USA flag behind him, floating over the lake. Awesome music as well, with an equally impressive commentator rallying all the troops. The male pros were just exiting the swim, as we were entering, them starting 25mins before our start time.

Swim 43:12 - Not my best effort!

I borrowed a wetsuit from a mate of mine before the race, and he warned me about the zip of his wetsuit and to be careful zipping it up. Despite me telling this to the guy who zipped my wetsuit up 5 mins before the start he still managed to rip it clean off.

Unfortunately it meant I had to man up and swim without a wetsuit. I didnt help that I was wearing a real loose cycling top underneath. All I was thinking about that was the lovely big pockets acting like parachutes through the water. I knew I was slow while swiming, and slow I was. Just happy as always to get out of the water as soon as possible though.

*** I know now from stopping swimming competely in July to starting again in mid September that I need to swim minimum 3 per week for 6-8 weeks if I am to get swim-fit or as good as I can really get!

*** I need to practice open water - apart from the races which I did this year, I didnt swim once in open water - I zig-zag-ed most the swim, swiming more to my stronger side as always, which I must remember for future

T1 03:40

I took my time as always. I need to invest in some triathlon shoes. A must for this year. Putting your feet in cycling shoes is just daft and a waste of time.

Bike 02:40:47

I went to hard in the first hour of the bike and suffered at the end big time. I probably drank too much and needed to stop for a pee twice, as for a race just for fun, I definately was not going to try and pee while cyling or down my leg.

I found the heat too at the end of the bike, taxing and probably dehydrated myself a little too towards the end, as I found myself without any liquids for a while. Also my bike was killing me, from riding a new bike and a slightly different position to my own road bike.I was also bored out of my mind! Texas countryside is a boring as it gets. Give me Co.Wicklow anytime.

*** I need to ride my TT bike more, I have only ridden it during races this year due to the fact that I have been racing at home, and it too expensive but mainly too much of an effort to bring it over and back again.

*** Get out on more cycling club spins more... stop being so lazy, and do more. I used to be out like clockwork on our Saturday morning club spin, one of about maybe 4 people who would always be there rain, hail or snow, but since moving to London I have gotten lazy. Things are going to change from 1st November I tell you!

*** Buy triathlon shoes

T2 02:23

Run 01:49:15

I suffered big time on the run. I found the heat immensely difficult to run in, and found to difficult to take in fluids while running without getting a stomach cramp. I walked through a lot of the aid stations which were amazing and tried to eat some cookies and take on some fluids at most.
    Most of the run was cross country however there was no shade, and no cloud cover. The temp was over 30 degrees and I really suffered. I also had to stop for a **** on the 2nd lap, and had to walk before as I thought that I may actually **** myself, which wasnt much fun.

The support on the run was simply amazing. There were so many people out cheering you on, like nothing I have ever experienced in Ireland. I think that is because so many more average, larger, or people who come from a non sporting background race, and bring out there families and friends, as this is such a massive achievement for them. Alot of the races at home I just rock up with some friends and race. This sort of thing keeps you going when you felt ****, and also kind of made you feel like a rockstar. The cheerleaders at the aid station were a welcome bonus also, and encouraged you to pick it up while running through!

*** If I am going to race longer races, I need to stop fupping about and traing properly for them. I think that I may have done 2-3 long runs at most since Gael Force West, and even only 2 long runs in preperation for that

*** Need to practice starting running slightly empty and practice taking in fluids and food while on the move (if I were to do HIM/IM in the future)

*** Longer intervals: 1mile to 2 km reps are really important as well as strength work from running hills.

Total 05:19:15

Photos would not upload but the links are:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/43931090@N00/5123666212/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/43931090@N00/5123666264/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/43931090@N00/5123666334/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/43931090@N00/5123666498/

My observations

*** I had ambitions of racing longer at some stage, but during the race all I could think of how boring this was for me, and unenjoyable. Athough I did find it boring, and I do think that I prefer adventure races out of everything, I still think that I want to race IMs at some stage in the future.

I didnt apply myself fully toward this race, I didnt set goals for myself to work towards, I was only doing it, in my head as a new experience racing overseas and that it coincided with where I was going on holidays whether it was on or not, and importantly I knew no-one else racing this race adding to the lack of motivation.

I think its this combination that made me think that this was boring and unenjoyable, where as if factors were different I know I would have a different ideology. After all I didnt find the two other previous HIMs which I have done unenjoyable or boring.

*** I know need to learn to suffer and hurt more, which I already know. I didnt feel as fupped after this race as I have previously have in the past, and this how I want to feel after ever race. The above reasons would also have impact on this however.

*** I know what I would like to achieve, I know what I need to do to get there, and I am now starting to get annoyed at myself for not fully applying myself and trying to do this. I feel that I am ready to turn a new leaf in this respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good report Snacks, I have been told that I had to try an American Ironman once as no-one does them better. Certainly sounds like a showbiz event anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done man. It's gas the lack of prep and training you put in and yet you still post a very reasonable time. I wouldn't beat yourself up too much or get too annoyed. You are a very good runner and cyclist, so loads of potential, best of all you know it too-no need for me to tell you. Nov 1st is the date I start back serious training too, and the big thing for me is making sure I get in 3 quality swim sessions per week.

Sometimes when I am low on motivation I just think of those who cannot do what we do and I think how lucky I am and that I should push myself to be the best I can be. A bit corny I know but it usually works!

Good luck with the training dude.

Cheers Lads,

It was certainly an experience, but was also steep in price at $300 compared to races at home. Something to be considered. I am not sure what European events are like but I imagine that they are equally special.

2nd of November is day I am back training after two weeks holidays R&R.

There is fire in the belly and I am looking forward to it.

Its been tough going since I started back training, and didnt really get into it till mid November. A couple of mates were over the first two weekend in November and carnage ensued.

The last two weeks however have been solid though, and I just need to keep the consistency now

Week - Monday 15th November

Monday - Run/Swim/Run
    I tend to run a lot to swimming as the only other option is to cycle. This tends to be efficient with my time though, as alot of my commuting is dead time and I dont consider to benefit me unless it a reasonable lenth of distance
    Run-25mins,5km; Swim-60min,2500m; Run,7km,35mins
    Commute - 12.5km, 30mins

Tuesday - Run
    Back running with my new club. Probably not my ideal session but an easy one to introduce me back into running.
    Main: 30s h, 30s e, 30s h, 30s e, 60s h, 60s e, 60s h, 60s e, 2m h, 2m, 3m h, 3m e and back down again
    Run - 60mins, 12km
    Commute - 12.5km, 30mins

Wednesday - Run
    Run home from work - 1hr 20mins, 16km

Thursday - Nothing
    Working late
    Commute - 25km, 60mins

Friday - Nothing
    Working late

Saturday - Run/Swim/Run
    Similar to Monday's session, main set was 12x50 on 60s, 5 x 200 on 3.45, 12 x 50 on 60s; 3200m total

Sunday - Bike
    Out with my club for an early 7.15am spin. Good spin though as first time I have been on thee bike in a while. Lots of practice chasing the breakaways, hill sprints, race etc... all good fun

Totals:
    Swim: x2, 5700m,
    Bike: x1, 110km, around 75km commuting
    Run: x4, around 50km

Week - Monday 22nd November

Monday - Run/Swim Run
    2hrs
    Commute: 25km, 1hr

Tuesday - Run
    Run w/2 lads from the club, threshold around regents park, 4.4km, in about 16.30, and 2 x 1km reps afte Pretty shattered after

Wednesday - Nothing
    Quite tired so I took it easy, roughly 15mins of core work

Thursday - Run
    Run with club, 2 x 12mins of hill reps, about up 8 times in total and jog down after each one

Friday - Run
    Run into work, 12km, 1hr
    Pints after work and Burger King

Saturday - Run/Swim/Run
    Similar to last week
    Swim main: 3x(200 off 4min, 100 off 2min, 50 hard, 50 kick, 100 easy), bringing the 200 in, in about 3.15-3.20 and similar for 100's

Sunday - Run
    Unfortunately it is was too cold for a spin, and I nearly died of finger frost bite just cycling down to the running club
    Easy 1hr 35mins run, mainly on concrete unfortunately, around 18km or 11miles
    Commute: 15km, 35mins

Another decent week, just unfortunate about thee weather no allowing me to get out on the bike.

Totals:
    Swim: x2, 5500m,
    Bike: around 100km commuting
    Run: x6, around 70-75km

The plan is to try and keep the training just ticking over till XMas, and hopefully the weather will be OK over thee break and allow a big bike bonanza, and a decent training week otherwise it will be the turbo once more.

Hopefully will do a couple of race before XMas to keep my focus.
    12 December - 12km - Possiblee Trail Run Race
    18 December - Stevenage XC Race
    21 December - T30 Swim Test - Aim is 1800m or, sub 1.40m/100m

Alittle bit of disjointed training week with the weather playing some havoc, and a trip home at the weekend.

Week - Monday 29th November

Monday
    Commute in/out of work - 25km
    Run/Swim/Run - 1hr running total, 12km & roughly a 2800m swim set.
    Main was 3x300 on 3.30, 3x100 pull on 1.50, 2x200 on 3.30, 2x100pull on 1.50, 1x200 on 3.30, 100pull on 1.50. Probably the first time that I felt OK in the water again and getting back towards swimming of 1.45 comfortably again

Tuesday
    Run - 1hr - 60mins - Tuesday was pretty horrible weather size so I decided to take it easy, and I also had to be home early to help out my housemate so skipped intervals as I didnt feel like hanging around work to wait for it.

Wednesday
    Run - Missing one of my planned 2 per week hard running session I decided to do a hills session. 15min jog w/u, 2x15min hills reps w/2min recovery, 15min c/d jog
    Working hard on these an HR reaching 185 at the top and recovering back to 135 by start.
    Felt like a good session, and something I will try do a least fortnightly to keep the form up.

Thursday
    Swim - Skipped the run this evening as I want to keep up minimum 2 swims a week so that I can get my form back again
    1hr15min total; main: 8x50 on 60s, 400f/s on 7.15, 6x50 on 60s, 300 f/s 5.45, 4x50 on 60s bringing these in under 45s, 200 f/s 4x25 sprints on 40s, 100 f/s. Felt good and strong today, and importantly could feel it in my lats after, as I really wanted to push myself.

Friday
    Nothing
    Realistically if I was organised I probably could have left my stuff in work and run in, but it wasnt to be and still very icy.
    Flew home

Saturday
    Bike - 3hrs on the mtb on the roads around Dublin - nearly 60km, and 650m of climbing. Going to build up a new mtb and bring it over to London to train on for something different hopefully in the new year.
    Cycling back down from Viewpoint at the end of the spin, was probably the coldest my feet and hands have ever been on a bike. I couldnt take my own shoes off once i got home and spent 20mins trying to warm my hands and feet up after.

Sunday
    Hangover after the club party, 1.30 clearing ice and snow from the drive way.

Got my session in tonight again, with the usual 1hr swim/1hr run

Monday 6th December 2010

Monday
    Run/Swim/Run - Typical Monday night session for me, 12km running, 2500m swimming. lots of sprints and threshold of swimming - 400m tt, 4 x 100 spr on 2.30, 8 x 50 on 75s, 16 x 25 spr on 35s. The 400m was brought in in about 6.30, and the 100's on 1.30-1.32

Tuesday
    Commute in/out 25km
    Run Intervals 5x1km efforts with 90secs rest.

I should not have trained on Tuesday, and didnt listen to my body after a tiring weekend and an early start on Monday morning. I as a result (although not suree if not training would have resulted in me being OK) I picked up probably on of the worst cold/flu I have had in a long time. I have a had terrible cough all week, and still no sign of it clearing!

Just desperate to get back traininig now, after my extended break/holiday, and then this flu!

Lesson to be learnt - which I should already know by now - Listen to you body

Monday 13th December 2010

This week has been a complete write off unforunately!
    This is probably the worst cold I have had in a long, but I guess it would have been worse if it came over XMas.

No training of any kind this week, and still carry a cough although it is getting better, but I really struggle to breath without coughing while outside. It will probably be Wednesday before I get back to some sort of training, which will be two weeks exactly of no training. I feel like I have done nothing the last two months really, and just wasted any fitness I had built up before that. Hopefully get a good 10 days training in while at home over XMas/NY.

The only light is that, I guess it reminds how much you miss the training and racing, that there is still fire in the belly, and when you do get back to it, for your goals are there if you want it!

Unfortunately I was sick right up until Christmas with the worst cough I probably ever have had, which annyoyingly meant no training.

I did however manage some training over Christmas however I didnt get as much in as I would have hopped for to be honest. Still is was a start however.

Friday 24.12.2010
    Flight was 7hrs delay, no training

Saturday 25.12.2010
    45min easy run, 9km

Sunday 26.12.2010
    45min easy run, 9km
    30mins core

Monday 27.12.2010
    40mi easy run, 8km
    30mins core
    2hr turbo

Tuesday 28.12.2010
    2hr 45min mtb around phoenix park

Wednesday 29.12.2010
    2hrs football - this really messed me up for the rest of the week, as I seriously could not run or really lift my legs after. Different muscules used in a different way is not good!

Thursday 30.12.2010
    3hrs on mtb, focusing on lots of hills
    20mins core

Friday 31.12.2010
    3hrs bike around the lakes
    20mins core

Saturday 01.01.2011
    Such a bad hangover
    20mins core

Sunday 02.01.2011
    2hr mountain run, 20km
    20mins core

Towards the end of the week I picked up yet another cold. I actually did my long run on Sunday with the cold, as I said fupp it, I am not missing anymore days.

I have a thought about my goals and plans for next year, but not a serious chance to put them all down on paper, bar jotting some ideas here and there. Come Sunday I will hopefully have planned out the season, and how I plan on achieving my goals and will post up come then. I am looking forward to it, but I am not feeling great or too confident that I am heading in the right direction at the minute, but I just got to remember "that its there if I want it."

Just a quick update... Been sick the last week again so training hasnt been to good.

Monday 03.01.11
    Nothing too much to do, and slept in to late... Had to striip down my MTB.
    Also feeling **** - hence the reason I did not get up

Tuesday 04.01.11
    Nothing - Feeling Sick, Cough

Wednesday 05.01.11
    Run - Very Easy 1h15mins, very bad coughing episode after

Thursday 061.01.11
    Nothing, feeling like ****

Friday 07.01.11
    Nothing, feeling like ****

Saturday 08.01.11
    AM: Bike - 3hr15min easy, as slight cough
    PM: 30mins easy run

Sunday 091.01.11
    AM: 2hr30min easy bike
    PM: 45mini easy run

Monday 10.01.11
    Cycle in/out to work - 25km
    Run-Swim-Run, 1hr run, 1hr swim (2800m)

Tuesday 11.01.11
    Swim/Run, 1hr,30mins (2800m)

Wednesday 12.01.11
    Nothing

Starting to get back into the swing of things although still not feeling super... still have a slight cough unfortunately though.

• Advertisement

Starting to get back training consistently now once again... just to need to keep it up and try and make sure that I tick off the key sessions every week, while trying to stay healthy. Since December I have been on and off sick again resulting in large spells of no training. As a result I am trying to watch what I eat, and supplement with berocca, centrum tablets, omega 3 and the likes...

Thursday 13.01.11
    PM: Swim/Run; 1hr15mins,30mins
    First session that I have felt really good again. The main set was 8x300, in pyramid set: 6x50s on 55s, 4x75 on 1.15, 3x100 on 1.45, 300 on 5.15, 3x100 on 1.45, 4x75 on 1.15, 6x50 on 55s, timed 300m
    30mins jog home after

Friday 14.01.11
    Nothing - Had hoped to sneak a run in but didnt happen.
    Out Friday night - not home till 5am

Saturday 15.01.11
    PM: Run: Hungover, but got out the door for a planned 2hrs run (nearly 2hrs of rolling hills around Hampstead Heath). Managed to sufficently ruin my new runners.

Sunday 16.01.11
    AM: Swim/Bike - Cycle to/from swimming, 1hr swim, about 2800m, not the best of main sets
    Meet Martin Muldoon at swimming, who qualified for Kona last year. Headed out on the bike for 4hrs in wet and windy conditions. Dont know if it was Friday night antics, the 2hrs run y'day, or I am just not quite there but suffered the last 30mins or so. Was a tough spin for me on a windy day, and it didnt really help that we put the hammer down for the first hour, as we had some people hanging on our wheels.
    Nevertheless, nearly 120kms ticked, and nearly 135km total today
    Exhausted Sunday night, didnt make it out for an easy run!

Monday 17.01.11
    PM: Typical Monday sessions - Swim/Run
    25mins run to Swimming, 1hr Swim, 35mins run home.
    Main set was all timed hard efforts - 400m, 2x200m, 2x100m, 2x50m

Tuesday 18.01.11
    PM: Run - Time to start doing the hard stuff again... Back to the track...
    Was late and missed the first rep - 7 x 800m, not quick nor did it feel good either, reps: 2.40-2.45s per 800m

Wednesday 19.01.11
    AM: Run - First time I have been training before work in a while and it felt gooood!
    Easy 1hr, 12km run into work with back on the back.
    Out Wed evening so no time for a session.

Thursday 20.01.11
    PM: Swim/Run: 1hr15mins,30mins
    Main set was: [75 as b/f,b/k,b/s, 75 as b/k, b/s, f/s, 4x25IM, 150 pull, 50 b/f, b/k, 50 b/k, b/s, 50 b/s, f/s, 4x25 IM, 150 pull] x 3
    This session was TOUGH! Clocked nearly 3800m for the swim tonight in total... and that wasnt doing a f/s set! Arms were ready to fall off!
    30mins easy jog home after

Friday 21.01.11
    PM: Swim: 1hr15mins
    Main Set: 9x200 f/s, 2 moderate, 1 hard to be negative split timed, all off 3.30... Was a great session and great indicator that I am getting back to being fit again. Knocked the timed ones out in 3.10 each time... and other would have been 3.15-3.20 pace. Doing some technique after and practicing tumble turns something which I am going to try and practice from now on in my warm up/cool down

Saturday 22.01.11
    AM: Bike: Easy 2hr15mins, stinking weather!
    Home for an hour to grab some good
    Swim/Run - Then 25mins run to swimming (was super tired during this run), 1hr 15mins swim, 35mins run home
    Was pretty tired at the swimming so took it handy enough...
    Main set was: 200 kick, 800m f/s, 200 kick, 400 f/s, 200 kick, 200 f/s, did the last half of the f/s 25 f/s, 25 b/k
    About 3500m total

Sunday 23.01.11
    AM: Bike: 3hrs15mins; PM: Run: 45mins easy.
    Not too much motvation this morning, but since we had no power I decided I had no reason not to go out cycling. Just did and easy enough spin by myself. Was feeling a little tired about 2hrs in but once I grabbed a Mars bar feeling good again towards the end of the spin.
    Run - Easy 45mins

Its been a solid weeks training and I have really enjoyed...
    Did about 15hr30mins this week, including.
    Swim x 4; about 14km or so
    Bike x 2; about 145km or so
    Run x 6; about 60km or so

Over the last the 9 days it totals to nearly 23hrs
    Swim x 5, about 17km or so
    Bike x 3, about 265km or so
    Run x 7, about 80km or so

*** I do want to try and race more... I had planned on doing a free timed 5km race on Saturday morning but its one thing when you can drive to a race like I could do in Dublin, but another when you have to cycle there and get changed when its wet and windy outside...
    I am heading away Skiing in two weeks and I do want to try and do a running race before then, which really only leaves next weekend.

*** Need to cycle more to/from work - didnt cycle once last week. Sometimes though it just isnt practical to cycle to work, when swimming is in the evening, I can just go and study Spanish before rather that cycle home, have an hour or so and then get the tube back to swimming... It can also take alot out of you...

*** Races for next year... need to start thinking about this and have a look at the calendar... WAR Glendalough is one for sure which I will be targeting though, but also trying to run some PBs before that

Monday 24.01.2011
    AM: Commute to work, 12km, 30mins
    Monday was a forced rest day, although I probably would have trained if I didnt have plans, I think that it was better in hind sight to take a full day off

Tuesday 25.01.2011
    PM: Commute home, 12km, 30mins
    Running Intervals on the track... It was good to be back, although doing 12x400m is tough, its probably also my favorite session. The last two were tough as having not done intervals in a long time I wasnt too sure what pace I could sustain throughout.
    Times: 73, 73, 72, 73, 72, 73, 74, 72, 73, 74, 75, 74, all with 1:20-1:30mins rests. Times were not bad, and too be honest were faster than I though I would be capable of, although they did drop off in the last 3 reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

snack_ie wrote: »
    Main set was: [75 as b/f,b/k,b/s, 75 as b/k, b/s, f/s, 4x25IM, 150 pull, 50 b/f, b/k, 50 b/k, b/s, 50 b/s, f/s, 4x25 IM, 150 pull] x 3
    This session was TOUGH!
    :confused: dude this gets my vote for "most jargon in a post 2011" :D I haven't the foggiest idea what it is but I'm sure it was fun LOL!
    snack_ie wrote: »
    12x400m is tough... its probably also my favorite session. The last two were tough as having not done intervals in a long time I wasnt too sure what pace I could sustain throughout.
    Times: 73, 73, 72, 73, 72, 73, 74, 72, 73, 74, 75, 74, all with 1:20-1:30mins rests. Times were not bad, and too be honest were faster than I though I would be capable of, although they did drop off in the last 3 reps.
    That is a serious session, especially in January! Have you got some early season goals?

Fair play on the work you are putting in, you are flying! My only concern would be how often the word 'tough' pops up in your log. At this early stage of the season feeling exhausted on any day means you are pushing pretty hard? It makes sense though if your A race is early

I dont think I have done much work this winter (however you MCOS is something else - you get me out the door), but hopeefully I can say the opposite in a month's time. Unfortunately I have been plagued by sickness before and after Christmas, and took a full month off of travelling and focusing on drinking beers. I have gotten that out of my system now and am focused, on improving.

I believe in doing hard sessions - and really enjoy running on the track as it keeps you honest to yourself, and is a great judgement of fitness.

I have not a definative plan for this year... But my first main race is WAR Glendalough, but hope to try and run some quick times in 5/10/HM before April, is the plan at least.

Wednesday 26.01.2011
    AM: Run into work, easy, 12km, 1hr
    Was thinking about running home but
    A) My gear stunk
    B) My legs were tires after intervals Tues night followed by a run Wed morning all on concrete

Plan for the rest of the week is...
    Th - Run into work (75mins-90mins), Swim in the evenng if I can get out of work on time
    Fr - PM Swim
    Sa - Bike
    Su - Swim/Bike
    But the weather looks cold over the weekend so we'll see how it goes...

*** b/k is backstroke, b/s brest stroke, b/f butterfly and f/s is obvious... I stopped keeping a written blog so I keep track here... just for my own reference.

Thursday 27.01.11
    AM: 1hr; Run to work

Friday 28.01.11
    PM: 1hr 15min; Swim: 1km warm up, then 4x75 as a rolling IM set x 5. About 3ish km in total

Saturday 29.01.11
    AM: Run to swimming, 25mins
    Swim: 1hr15mins, 1200 w/u, main (3x100 off 1.45, 6 x 50 off 55s)x4, 100 c/d
    Run: Run home, with 15mins above Threshold. Average HR for the 15mins was 175bpm

Sunday 30.01.11
    AM: Swim, 60mins... about 2.8km Main Set: (6x50, 2x150m)x3 off 55s,2.45s.
    My arms were very tired after swimming 3 times in a day and a half
    AM: Bike: 5hrs 15mins on the bike, 3 hills through Surrey, 150km total. Felt good through out, once I stayed fully fuelled.

Another consistent week training... I took Monday off as I was out Monday evening and felt the rest would do me some good.
    Swim: x3 sessions - Swim squad x3
    Bike: x1 session - Long bike
    Run: x4 sessions - 1xIntervals & Threshold @ 15mins

I didnt do any training today, as I have been exhausted, mainly due to having a number of things on my mind lately...

Having the night off allowed me to think about what I want to race this year.

I think that my main goals will be adventure races this year, with a selection of other races.

My first main race is Glendalough WAR on 16th April 2010 - This was a race which I really wanted to race last year however I couldn't due to flights being cancelled due to the ash could.

In the run up to WAR I want to race a number of running races and duathlons, as I also want to try and race more this year. Below is a rough list of the races which are on over the next few months, and hopefully I will manage to pencil in a couple of these... I also want to get home for a weekend and hopefully do an IMRA race then too...

5th-12th February - Skiing

19th February - Finsbury Park 5km

26th February - Finsbury Park 5km or Richmond Park 10km

5th March - Ballbuster Duathlon or 6th March - Regents Park 10km or MTB Race

12th March - MetLeague XC

20th March - Reading HM or MTB Race

3rd April - Regents Park 10km

10th April - MTB Race

16th April - WAR GLENDALOUGH - *** A Race

Training wise my plan is...
    Tuesday: Commute by bike to work; PM: Running Intervlas 8x800m on the track
    Wednesday: AM: Run into work (easy though)
    Thursday: PM: Swim/Run
    Friday: PM: Swim/Run

Tuesday 01.02.11
    Commute in and out to work; 25km
    PM: Run Intervals: Had to cut the session short as my brother is in London tonight and tomorrow night so catching up again.
    Session: 6 x 800's on the track, with 1.50-2.00 recovery. Times: 2.38, 2.33, 2.33, 2.35, 2.36, 2.37... Not sure that I could have kept that pace up for the 8, but happy enough all the same. They were quickish times for me.

Training for the rest of the week wiill be limited unfortunately.
    Wed - No training, out...
    Thurs - Swim/Run...
    Fri - Swim/Run...
    Sat - Off Skiing...

Not too much training to report latetly... hence no posting...

Wednesday 02.02.11
    Nothing

Thursday 03.02.11
    Commute into/from work, 25km
    Swim/Run: 1hr15mins, 30mins easy run home - dont remember the session but I was pretty smashed and didnt have any enthusiasm for it

Friday 04.02.11
    Nothing

Off skiing - Saturday-Sunday 05-13.02.11
    No real training, a couple of runs in the evening, 1hr 20mins and 40mins two days, and cross country skiing one day for 3hrs

Monday 14.02.11
    Commute to/from work, with an extra 45mins in the morning: Total: 1hr45min, 40-45km
    Run - Swim - Run - 25mins easy run to from
    Swim main set: 10x (100 on 1.50, 50 on 80s hard) - Exhausted Swimming

Tuesday 15.02.11
    Commute to/from work, 25km
    Working late so no time for training unfortunately = PISSED OFF as missed Intervals!

Wednesday 16.02.11
    Commute into from work, 25km
    Run - Theme was hills and the objective was 3 x 15mins up different loops of Primrose Hill - Avg HR: w/u: 146avg, 1st: 167avg, 2nd: 168avg, 165avg.
    Its was a mentally tough session to do by myself and I wanted to stop on the last one but happy I finished it out.

Wednesday session took more out of me than I thought it had at first and I have felt like I have been playinig catch up all week so to speak.

Friday as well left me tired, and I had little appetite for any training come Saturday, which I felt was due to slight over-training.

Nevertheless a somewhat mixed week. I am still feeling less than 100% and will try and handy for the first few days.

Thursday 17.02.11

PM: Swim: 75mins, 3500m; main: [4x75 f/s on 1.20, 50hard timed on 60s]x5, 1hr was solid, last 15mins was focused and starts and turns

Friday 18.02.11
    AM: Supposed to be my long run but tired and had little motivation for it - 60mins run into work
    PM: Swim: 75mins, 3500m; main: 400 on 7.00, 2x200 on 3.30, 4x100 on 1.45, 6x50 on 55s, 8x25 on 30s, 300 pull; all continuous through.
    Again last 15mins was focused on starts and turns

Saturday 19.02.11
    Tired and little motivation - 1hr easy on the bike

Sunday 20.02.11
    AM: Bike: 4hrs15mins with the club. Lets just say my legs hurt after.

• Advertisement

Not really feeling much love for training lately. Doesnt help that I am feeling alittle under the weather being a bit stuffed up and tired in general.

Monday 21.02.11
    PM: Run home from work, very easy, not really arsed to be honest, 70mins, 14km

Tuesday 22.02.11
    Commute to/from work - 25km
    PM: Run Intervals: 12x400m on track with 85-90s recovery. Not feeling 100% so I say I backed off for the last 6 but too be honest I didn't have it in my legs either.
    Times:72, 71, 70, 72, 72, 74, 74, 75, 74, 75, 73, 74

Advertisement