Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Duathlon Champs...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Been pretty much sick all this week and still feeling less than 100% now...

Managed to get out for a couple of very easy sessions this weekend more to clear my head more than anything else really.

Saturday 07.05.2011

PM: A very easy 2 hrs run with a friend of mine who is doing the Edinburgh Half-Marathon in two weeks time. Quite warm and feeling very de-hydrated afterwards.

Sunday 08.05.2011

PM: Easy 2.5hrs on bike. Nothing special. Just wanted to try and still keep the legs ticking over

Hoping to do a few races over the coming weeks - mainly running though, and a few short MTB races too.

I really do need to start entering, and setting out what I want to do cause at the minute I don't have any real focus what-so-ever.

Still feeling less than a hundred precent.

Monday 09.05.2011

Commute to/from work; 25km; 1hr

Went out for a run hoping to do maybe 75mins easy, but just feeling super tired so it ended up being 45mins easy.

Still have this cold in my system unfortunately.

Tuesday 10.05.2011

Commute to/from work; 25km; 1hr

I felt doing some intervals on the bike would be easier than running intervals with this cold.
    Plan was for 2x20min efforts around Regent's Park Outer Circle
    Lap 1: 20mins, 167avg HR
    5mins easy
    Lap 2: 20mins, 167avg HR.
    Found it hard to get the HR up, but I guess that's me not feeling 100%.

Wednesday 11.05.2011

Commute to/from work; 25km

Nothing.

Thursday 12.05.2011

Commute to/from work; 25km

Nothing.

Friday 13.05.2011

Nothing.

Saturday 14.05.2011

Cycling the South Downs Ways - Did 60miles/100km of the 100mile trail.
    Really enjoyable. Going to head back for the full thing the weekend after next if the weather stays good. (6hrs or so)
    Another 30km cycling in & out to Waterloo/Victoria Stations. (1.15hrs)

Sunday 15.05.2011

The mother of all hangovers!

Monday 16.05.2011

Commute to/from work; 1hr 25km
    PM: Run/Swim/Run; 25mins/60mins; 2500m/35mins; 12km
    Was a shock to the system returning to swimming after a 5 week layoff!

Tuesday 17.05.2011

Commute to from work; 1hr 25km
    I decided to skip running intervals as I just wanted feeling and went swimming after.
    Swim/Run; 1hr swim; 2500m/30mins laboured run; 6km

Wednesday 18.05.2011

I was hoping to take part in a mountain bike race afterwork but unforunately I got very very lost trying to get. Ended up giving up, as it rained solidly for about an hour, my map was destroyed, I was cold and wet and my brakes decided to stop working.
    2hrs 30min on the MTB; cycling in and around London.

Thursday 19.05.2011

PM: 1hr run home from work. Laboured. Doesnt help having a bag on your back though. About 12/13km; 157hr avg.

Friday 20.05.2011

AMP 1hr run to work. Again Laboured. Bag on the back once more, and felt it.
    About 13km; 163hr avg.

Saturday 21.05.2011

AM: Easy 2.5hrs social spin in the morning with a couple of efforts, 65km
    1hr breakfast
    AM: 25min run to swimming, 75min swim with club, 25min run home.
    Swimming felt good but the set which we were doing was ****. Too many 25s and just to tedious
    10mins of core once I got home

Sunday 22.05.2011

AM: 1hr swim with the club; 30mins easy run home. Swimming was suprisingly good considering the lack of it. Managed to hold 5x200m off 3.20. Just about that is at the end!
    PM: The plan was for 1hr 15min easy base run, and ended up doing 1hr 20mins at an avg hr of 145. Was trying to keep the hr low all the way around. Very enjoyable - which was nice. Probably the first enjoyable run in a while.

Weekly Totals:

All in all a decent week training:

Swim: x4; 4hrs 15mins
    Bike: x2; 105km, x3 Commuting 75km; 7hrs
    Run: x7 runs - all easy runs; 7hrs
    Core: 10mins

About 17-18hrs.

Hopefully bring back more intensity this week. Have a 5km planned for tomorrow night and hopefully a 10km for Thursday night if it still on, and then maybe a good 80mile on the MTB over the weekend depending on the weather.

Over & Out

Monday 23.05.2011

PM: 40 km commuting on the bike & 5km race

I ran a 5km race this evening after work.
    Was I happy with my time - Noooo!
    Why wasnt I happy - I should have been quicker, faster, stronger than last time.
    What have I done about it since my last 3km race on the track a month ago - ZERO speedwork - What do I expect?
    What am I going to do to rectify it in a few weeks time - Train smart & sensibly.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 24.05.2011

Nothing - not arsed doing anything.

Wednesday 25.05.2011

Commute into work.
    Cycled out to an MTB race which I had to help out marshalling.
    Hopefully will race it next week. It looks like the type of course that would suit me. Not too technical but enough to keep it interesting, and hilly.
    Will see if I can make it out there next Wednesday though.
    About 1hr 30mins on the bike & 35km or so.

Thursday 26.05.2011

Commute to/out of work: 1hr, 25km
    Was hoping to make it out on the club spin, but the weather was not being cooperative.

PM: Swim/Run: 1hr15mins;3.5km/30min;6km run after home - uneventful & boring swim set.

Friday 27.05.2011

Commute to/out of work: 1hr, 25km

PM: Swim: Worked hard at this and was a good session; 1hr 15mins; 3.5km
    Main: [4x75 as rolling IM off 90s]x4, then 4x[25,50,100,50,25 with middle 100 as IM]

Saturday 28.05.2011

Bike: Out on the MTB for nearly 5-5.25hrs. About 3.5hours off road and the rest commuting to/from Epping Forest.

Nice to be out. Didnt feel too taxing to be honest.

Sunday 29.05.2011

Was out most of the afternoon, and when I got home I went out for a short run but wasn't feeling it.
    30mins easy, 6km

Monday 30.05.2011

Had planned on punishing myself this morning doing bike intervals, but I forgot to bring my water bottle however. Ended up doing 3x10mins around Regent's Park

1st 10min - 172 avg hr
    3min easy
    2nd 10min - 176 avg hr
    3min easy
    3rd 10min - 175 avg hr

Racing this summer:

*** Entered Kenmare on Saturday morning so plan on using that as a big goal being the National HIM championships.

*** Plan on entering a few Oly's/Sprints now to fill up the calendar. Pencilled in maybe Dorney Lakes or Milton Keynes over here, and maybe Dublin at home.

*** Hopefully race a few more low key running races/mtb races for interval sessions in the coming months.

*** Taking part in a 24hrs mtb race on the 18th June as part of a team of 4. Should be interesting.

Tuesday 31.05.2011

Commute to/from work; 25km; 1hr.

AM: Swim, 80mins, 3km or so - Good to be up early again. Nothing like a 5.15am start to the day to get things going. Lots of IM/kick in the session. Taking it handy enough.

PM: Run Intervals: 1hr 7km inc. w/u & c/d
    Session was 12x400m on the track with about 80-90sec rest or so.
    Time were better than what I was expecting considering the lack of running recently:
    Times: 73-75 consistently throughout.

*** Have the option of a track race on Saturday down in Brighton if I feel like it.
    *** Also have pencilled in a sportive on Sunday circa 180km with 2500m climbing or so!

Sitting in bed... about too fall asleep... I am pooped...

Was feeling it today after yesterday's session.

It's good to get up early and get a swim in once a week & and good to be back running on the track, where I need to be spending some more time.

Wednesday 01.06.2011

Commute into work; 30min; 12km

Beastway Mountain Bike Race No.3
    I was racing a mountain bike race this evening - the Beastway Series in London. Overall not sure how I faired but I gave it socks and went hard from the go. Will post up report/photos in time. Averaged a HR of 187 for 1hr2mins of racing so I was hurting. Although I find that you are concentrating so hard, that you dont feel the hurt.

Commute home after the race was a killer; 1hr 20min; 30km

Good to be back racing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

snack_ie wrote: »
    *** Taking part in a 24hrs mtb race on the 18th June as part of a team of 4. Should be interesting.

Is that the Mountain Mayhem in Hertfordshire?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dude that was a high HR fo the mtb race, whats your max?

For some reason, I always feel tired reading your log! Do you have any kind of recovery/rest strategy?

• Advertisement

Thursday 02.06.2011

Was feeling super tired this morning after last night session, and still feeling tired after work. My legs feel the effort, and my calves are tight. The swim tonight was going to be a recovery session of sorts. I didnt plan on pushing myself.

PM: Swim: 70mins:
    I felt good after the warm up so decided to push out the mainset which was:
    Main:8x75m on 90s (1.15 ish), 8x[75m hard on 80s (1.10ish) & 50m easy on 1.20]

Comments

Legs still feel tired now! Today is my rest day MCos - Was asked by work to go playing golf withone someone! Nice!

Seriously, when I do feel tired I do take it easy - there are lots of days in blog that say Nothing if you look closely

My HR is always freakishly high. I did a Lactate Threshold test in Trinity on the bike for a study and maxed out a 202. In my 3km track race in April I hit 202 as well, and previously I averaged 192 for a 1hr duathlon - Maybe I didn't work hard enough on Wednesday!

Yes Mountain Mayhem! Are you racing! This is going to knock the **** out of me! 24hr race = nuts (even in a 4 man team(altough it maybe a 3 man team)).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

snack_ie wrote: »
    Yes Mountain Mayhem! Are you racing! This is going to knock the **** out of me! 24hr race = nuts (even in a 4 man team(altough it maybe a 3 man team)).

I did it a couple of times when it was in West Bromwich (sandwell?). I was part of a 4 man team and it was a killer. I think we were doing ~1 hour stints so that meant you never got enough of a rest and as soon as it cooled down cramp set in. There were sports masseurs around doing free massages so I made good use of them. Good fun though, you'll have a blast!

Friday 03.06.2011
    Friday I was off work playing golf - it was supposed to be a rest day, however it turned out to be pretty tiring - 5hrs in the sun - some sun burn - some drinks and dinner after.

Saturday 04.06.2011

AM: Went for an early run with a friend of mine, 1hr easy as she was working both Sat and Sun - one of the disadvantages to working in the city.

Felt pretty tired most of the day as didnt sleep much on Friday night

Sunday 05.06.2011

Chiltern 100 Sportive - 187km; 2600m of climbing; through Chilterns

I entered through someone else's entry - I was sort of lucking forward - more as it would probably be my longest cycle ever - usually I bored after 4hrs and just want to stop.

Anyways started well, got in a good group with 4 others from my club and we had a good pace line going for the first 2.5hrs. Unfortunately punctured after the 1st aid station and lost them. I put the hammer down after that for about an 1hr, but ended up getting lost - well there was ANOTHER sportive on the same route and ended up following their course, and went about an 1/2 hours off course.

At that point I decided to call it a day and just headed back to end of the Chiltern 100 course.

Ended up doing about 5.45hrs riding and probably the guts of 150-160km with 2500m worth of climbing so not a bad day at all.

Was a little stiff on the bike - both back & quads - I really need to get back stretching after running.

Monday 06.06.2011

Tired this morning - definately wasnt cycling to work.

PM: Did a 1hr20mins easy run home from work, along the canal and then through Hampstead Heath.

Plan for the rest of the week is roughly:
    Tues: Track 8x800m
    Wed: MTB race/cycle home after
    Thurs: Swim & (maybe run?)
    Fri: AM run

Then I am heading to Brussels for the weekend so will try get a run or 2 in over there but not a priority.

Tuesday 07.06.2011

Commute into/out of work;
    PM: Running Intervals: 6x800m on the track.

Wednesday 08.06.2011

PM: Run home from work, 1hr20mins

Thursday 09.06.2011

PM: Swim/Run; 1hr15min;30mins

Fri-Mon 10-13.06.2011 - Brussels

Away for the weekend. Nothing but beer & food.

Tuesday 14.06.2011

Commute to/from work; 1hr; 25km]
    PM: 25mins easy run; 10mins stetching; 5x100m strides; 12x400m; 5mins stretching
    I did the intervals as 6x400m hard, 4x400 moderate, 2x400 easy.
    Times were: 70-72 for hard, 74-75 for moderate, 80-82 for easy.

Wednesday 15.06.2011

Beastway Round 5

Took part in Beastway tonight. Abit of stinker of night but turned out OK.
    I wasn't really feeling it, as I felt unable to really smash myself, so just really plodded along. Was only some practice before Mountain Mayhem at the weekend.

Thursday 16.06.2011

Nothing

Friday 17.06.2011

Nothing

Saturday-Sunday 18-19.06.2011

Mountain Mayhem 24hr Mountain Biking Race

I got asked if I would be interested in riding mountain mayhem back in mid May while riding the South Downs Ways with my club. To be honest I didn't really know what I was getting myself into but I thought that it might be fun.

Mountain Mayhem is (I think) the biggest 24hr MTB race in the world with 2500 people taking part on the course racing both solo & teams.

We got down there on Friday evening and the weather was stinking. I stuggled to sleep and stay warm on Friday night, and was glad to wake up on Saturday morning.

A brief description of the course follows:

1. Starts in the camping areas and winds through till you reach the Kenda climb which is a real kicker straight up a step hill that really ramps up at the end. This is a timed climb with a prize for fastest up it.
    2. The course is then a mixture of fireroad and come moderatly rooty/technical bits through forest which was like glass on the first lap.
    3. You head back through the campsite and zig-zag through the tents where the support is just brilliant.
    4. Till you reach the climb... This is where the pain begins at about 30mins or so... its ramps up and up and up... with lots of false tops... The track drops down into some steep slippy & rocky decents before you have to head back up again.
    5. You drop into the forest which was like ice in place, and its a mixture of downhill and some step tough climbing but the long boneshaker trail back towards the campsite. There was some serious air to be had on this as well... It wasnt optional either. If you were going down this you were guaranteed that you were going to be launched. Unsuprisingly after a few crashes on the first lap it was changed on the second lap.

I was in a team of 4 lads, and it was a good group. I offered to head off first as there was a 2.5km cross country run in order to spilt the field up. My laps times were as follows & here a short account of what I was thinking:

Video of the course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6lbllwN2H4&feature=player_embedded

Photos: http://www.robcrayton.co.uk/mountainmayhem2011.htm - For a taster of things.

Lap 1: 01:18:14 - 12pm

Lap 1 started with a 2.5km run to break the field up. I got off to a good start on the run, but got tripped going around a corner and fell hard. I still ended up coming in about 15th or so out of 400 or so people.

The course was difficult as it was super slippy with all the rain. It was so muddy that I had to stop a couple of times to clear the muck from my frame as it was restricting the wheels from spinning. This was tough, as I felt like I was just going backwards the whole time after the run.

It was also just balls out for an 1hr 15mins, and I was roasting as I was wearing way too much clothes.

Av. HR: 185

Lap 2: 01:08:24 - 4.15pm

After the first the lap I was dreading going out again. Some of the places in the last lap was like ice, and there was some seriously step, slippy rocky bits. I pushed the climbs and took the downhills easy. The course had dramatically improved with the muddy climbs becoming more compacted as the day went on it. The mud was unreal as it was so sticky when you were on the flats, that you were just pushing, pushing, pushing...

Av. HR: 184

Lap 3: 01:04:14 - 8.30pm

Lap 3 was probably my best lap. I was determined to put a good one in. I headed out at about 8.30pm or so just before it had gotten dark.

Avg. HR: 175

Lap 4: 01:01:45 - 2.30am

I was supposed to get some kip, but didn't get too much.
    We were doubling up so that we could each grab a couple of hours sleep, by doing 1 lap me, 1 lap mate, 1 lap me, 1 lap mate.

Unfortunately one of our team had an accident during his lap and had to pull out. That meant that there were only 3 or us for the remaining 10hrs of racing.

Woken up at 2am after 2hrs trying to sleep in the tent, and told that I had to be out 2.30am was tough. It was cold & damp, and I hadn't eaten.

I took it handy enough going around, but mountain biking at night is just amazing. Only seeing a couple of meters infront of you is just so good!

Put in the a solid enough effort.

Av. HR 165.

Lap 5: 01:14:34 - 4.50am

Lap 5 was tough. Not just physically but mentally.
    The course has about 420m of climbing over the 10miles but most of this in in the second half. When you come through the campsite at half was it straight up, up up, with lots of false tops. I was close to bonking and had to stop on this climb for a gel. I hadn't had anything proper to eat apart from a few bars and was seriously feeling bad. I was making promises with myself that if I could just get through this I would never inflict this on me again... not so sure about that now.

Lap 6: 01:09:26 - 7.30am

Lap 6 was just about keeping going. My ass though was torn to pieces. Riding on a carbon saddle accross bump fields is not advised. I actually felt good but could just not sit down on the saddle which hindered me.

----

I was supposed to ride again (the last lap) but I was goosed at this stage as I had nothing left to eat, and let my teammate do it again. He was not a happy camper when I told him after what he thought was his last lap that he had to go out again!

All in all we finished 17th as a team which is no mean feat as that includes pro/semi-pro teams. To finish in the top 20 is tough, so we were happy. We also lost a man during the night which didnt help matters either. We managed 22 laps in 24hrs of racing.

Its not just the racing though which is hard... Its everything else that makes it so much harder... You constantly trying to stay warm battling the weather... Remembering to eat and rehydrate... Washing your bike... Constantly changing clothes...

I have done sweet fcuk all this week. Don't really have much motivation for anything at the minute. I guess it's a by-product of last weekend though. As expected.

Monday 20.06.2011

Nothing

Tuesday 21.06.2011

Nothing

Wednesday 22.06.2011

PM: Run; 1hr 30mins easy run, 150avg HR

Thursday 23.06.2011

Nothing

Time to get back up on the horse...

The plan is to try and do a block of training for the next 10days to get some focus back. The targets are:
    Swim: x5, 12500m
    Bike: 400km +; min x1 intervals, min x1 brick session
    Run: 80km +; min x1 intervals, min x1 threshold, min 1hr 45min run

The plan for racing this summer (subject to change of course) is lining up like this:
    9th July - 6hr MTB Enduro
    17th July - Dublin Mountain Half Marathon
    24th July - Votwo Olympic Triathlon
    28th August - Dublin City Olympic
    17th September - Kenmare Half Ironman

I have been feeling tired and unmotivated all week.
    I can pretty much put it down to last week exertions. Although I was tired, at times during the week I felt physically fine, but to be honest I think it has physically and mentally zapped my motivation.

I set myself a 10 day goal, but I think that it would be stupid to try and achieve this, and it would push me into the realms of overtraining.

I am actually probably going slower than I was this time last year. At least in my running times on the track. I have entered some races however which I hope will help with the motivation and drive to improve.

Friday 24.06.2011

I skipped my planned lunchtime run as I had far too much on my mind. Hoping to try and get back into the swing of things soon.
    PM: Swim, 75mins, 3400m. First session back in about 2 weeks or so, so always a difficult one.

Saturday 25.06.2011

Sleep in.
    AM: 25min easy run; 60min swim; 20min easy run.

I didnt have a proper breakfast for this one, as I had a lie in, and was pretty much running on empty. Otherwise the swimming didn't feel too bad. The run on Saturday's to the pool is always a major chore for some reason though.

Sunday 26.06.2011

Hampstead Heath 10km Race

I was undecided as to bike or run this morning, but choice the running option as I felt I needed the sleep.

Decided to run a local 10km race since it was so close that I could jog over and back. A tough course on a very hot morning in the sun. Basically 3 loops of about 3.2-3.3 km and a short bit extra. The loops are basically straight up a gradual incline and straight back down.

I tried to pace it evenly and felt I did a good job. I had a stitch and some breathing difficulties in the middle and just felt zapped at the end.

Unfortunately I could not find my HRM before going out the door so I have no data. The time was not quick for the record!

Easy 15min/3km run, stretching & strides,
    10km race
    Easy 15min/3km run home.

Thursday 30.06.2011

AM: 1hr easy to work
    PM: 1hr easy home from work

Friday 01.07.2011

Nothing - Beer time.

Saturday 02.07.2011

PM: 1hr swim with club; hungover

Sunday 03.07.2011

AM: Bike with the club for once; 4hrs; 120km or so
    A good ride.

Monday 04.07.2011

Commuting; 1hr30min; 40km on bike.
    AM: Swiming - 1hr30min; 3.8km
    PM: 5km race in 18.01. Not fast but better than my last effort and paced better. Unfortunately forgot my watch so had no HR data. I did want to vomit after which was a good sign.

Tuesday 05.07.2011

Commute in/out from work

Wednesday 06.07.2011

PM: Lunchtime run: 30mins with 2x7.30mins effort at HR avg over 170bpm
    Missed my bike intervals as stuck late in work unfortunately.

Thursday 07.07.2011

Nothing - Rest day.

Friday 08.07.2011

AM: 1hr 15mins run in the morning to work trying to average a 150 HR. Felt great!
    PM: 1hr 15mins swim; 3.0km; Didnt eat properly before and suffered as a result.

Saturday 09.07.2011

PM: Bike intervals: 3x15min w/3min easy around Regent's Park. Found it difficult to get the HR up. About 165-170 avg HR for each.

Sunday 10.07.2011

I woke up at 6.15 to go with the club. Said I would lie for a second. Looked at my phone again and it was 6.30 - Too late to make it for 7!
    Pissed off.
    So went back to sleep.

AM: 2hr 45mins easy on the bike
    PM: 45mins easy run - Waste of time and of no benefit what so ever. Need to stop this sh1t

THE END.

Advertisement