Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Weight Restrictions Around City

Options
  • 01-06-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Has anybody seen all the new weight restriction signs around the city?
    They all have a maximum of 3.5 Tonnes.

We deliver drinks in a truck with a laden weight of 18.5 tonnes, care to do the math?
    While i agree these areas are mostly residential, if they were to be obeyed by everyone no trucker could get their day's work done.

They have all the roads leading up around cleaboy, tycor, brownes road and keanes road plastered with these signs!

May I ask how a truck would get to Musgraves Cash & Carry (which has trucks coming and going all day long) or anywhere in the Tycor industrial Units or anywhere in that area!?

Now i'm sure they are implying the 'except for access' clause, but this should be displayed like it is everywhere else.

Rant Over!
    Ledger

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You usually have to apply for a permit if you intend on using the roads with such vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Cheers Sully.

I presume city council site should have more info?

as usual council's site has no info on anything of the sort.
    But sure E-Mail sent might get a response eventually

Ledger

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ledger wrote: »
    as usual council's site has no info on anything of the sort.
    But sure E-Mail sent might get a response eventually

Ledger

Ill look into it for you tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

usually the signs are "except for access" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ledger wrote: »
    Now i'm sure they are implying the 'except for access' clause, but this should be displayed like it is everywhere else.
    Why? Road weight limits don't apply to access and scheduled bus services. If you are delivering goods commercially, surely you should know this.

If there are people delivering goods commercially, who don't know this, they shouldn't be in the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 waterfordcity

As per usual the city council is wasting more money on signs that it doesn't have. Think they would spend more money on cleaning up litter instead of worrying about weight limits!!! More deskjockies trying to justify their jobs down on the mall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

As per usual the city council is wasting more money on signs that it doesn't have. Think they would spend more money on cleaning up litter instead of worrying about weight limits!!! More deskjockies trying to justify their jobs down on the mall!!

They're obviously trying to discourage the areas mentioned being used as rat runs by toll dodgers on the Cork to Rosslare route

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hardly a waste of time when you have idiots in trucks going through areas that they have no place in being either because they are still going through Waterford dispite the toll bridge or because they are using areas as shortcuts through the city.

As for any litter problems, how about the scumbags who drop litter take responsibility instead of expecting somebody else to clean up their ****e. Simply cleaning up litter will not fix the problem as people will only contnue to drop it knowing people will pick it up for them

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

The restrictions are intended to get rid of heavy goods vehicles traffic from residential areas and narrow City streets. They only apply to through traffic, not to vehicles accessing premises withing the City.

I understand that a formal permitting system is being developed by the Council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Its basically to get hauliers to use the toll bridge but at nearly €7 a pop it wont happen expect to see traffic crawling along the quays instead.

Victor wrote: »
    Why? Road weight limits don't apply to access and scheduled bus services. If you are delivering goods commercially, surely you should know this.

If there are people delivering goods commercially, who don't know this, they shouldn't be in the business.

well excuse me! Hows the view from up there on ur high horse? Calm down mate i was making a simple inquiry. I was thinking it wouldn't affect us but wasn't a hundred percent sure so just in case i figured i would throw it out there, as i would not like to end up in the wrong. While i agree that through traffic should be using the toll, this is not the case for us. The only time we use restricted roads is only for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Cabaal wrote: »
    Hardly a waste of time when you have idiots in trucks going through areas that they have no place in being either because they are still going through Waterford dispite the toll bridge or because they are using areas as shortcuts through the city.

Correct. When my dad was on the council, the amount of residents that were at their wits end with trucks driving past was unreal and most of these would be older people living on the yellow road etc. We finally have a bypass so it's good to force these trucks to use it, rather than disturbing our residents and causing unnecessary wear and tear on our roads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

when the new toll bridge was open i heard they were expecting 12,000 cars a day to pass through the toll. that has not happened. so no they are bringing in the weight restrictions on the quay too, so that the trucks will have to use the toll.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tom thum wrote: »
    when the new toll bridge was open i heard they were expecting 12,000 cars a day to pass through the toll. that has not happened. so no they are bringing in the weight restrictions on the quay too, so that the trucks will have to use the toll.

To be honest this makes sense, unless the truck is doing direct deliverys in the city then it shouldn't be in the city.....the bypass exists for all other traffic heading to Cork etc so it should be used.

Otherwise why bother having the by-pass?

I do however think that they should reduce the toll fee's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nialla

tom thum wrote: »

A toll free alternative has to be maintained, so the quay and cork road will not have the 3.5 tonne limit

nialla wrote: »
    A toll free alternative has to be maintained, so the quay and cork road will not have the 3.5 tonne limit

Strange that doesnt apply to dublin and the port tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mitsubishi1

Cabaal wrote: »
    Strange that doesnt apply to dublin and the port tunnel

The port tunnel is toll free for trucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I wonder how much they pay to maintain the toll (wages electricity) and how much money they make?

Maybe they could have it free for a year, so people get hooked, and then jack up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

I for one and delighted they brought in the weight restriction, I have spent €800 on damaged to car caused by numerious trucks going up and down the yellow rd.

You have 2 trucks that get stuck side by side that do not move and casues so many problems for me.

Its time commerical trucks rat racing through Residential be made understand that they are for residents not for commerical areas.

In the space of an hour I will have 30 trucks pass down my road, when there are school lunch hours you wuill have trucks breaking the red lights nearly killing pedistrains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement