Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you really...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

for instance, the "Mary Harney is fat" jibes
    Could we drop that example for a better one? Mary Harney is in charge of a healthcare system which proclaims (correctly) that obesity is a major health issue in Ireland. That she herself is obese is irony exemplified, and that she doesn't address it to set a personal example is arguably a commentary on her professional competency as a political leader.

Pick a better example, like Mary McAleese's frumpiness, please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's really difficult to be consistent. You've moderated AH in the past. Surely you can attest to the fact that it's difficult to be consistent.
    It's easy not to be this glaringly so though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Thaedydal wrote: »
    when someone thinks a man is crap at his job they don't pass remarks about him having a face like the back of a bus,

You have got to be kidding me :)

Seriously ..

Men don't get criticized for how they look when they are crap at their jobs??

Gerry Ryan was called fat or ugly almost every time I heard the guy discussed as being a useless presenter.

Everytime I hear our very own Taoiseach get ridiculed, his looks are brought into it.

When Bono is brought up as being a prick, inevitably he will be called a midget or a short-arse.
    but they do when it's a woman cos it's a woman's real failing not to be pretty. It's sexist.

They do for both sexes, are your eyes really that closed to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thaed you need to hang out in US Politics, or google Rush Limbaugh, or something. tbh. If you think its just a sexist thing. I dare you not to make jokes about that fringe lunatic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

internet-serious-business.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Overheal wrote: »
    Thaed you need to hang out in US Politics, or google Rush Limbaugh, or something. tbh. If you think its just a sexist thing. I dare you not to make jokes about that fringe lunatic.

I am aware of how things are in the usa in terms of media and political coverage and so what that is not here.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I would rather no one was abused for their physique where its not relevant. Sometimes a post or three get through but that thread from start to finish was outright nasty.

If you have other examples of such, post them here and I'll review them later today. I'm away from the keyboard for a lot of today.

DeV.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That when someone thinks a man is crap at his job they don't pass remarks about him having a face like the back of a bus, but they do when it's a woman cos it's a woman's real failing not to be pretty. It's sexist.

There's a thread here all about McWilliams appearance, with varied opinion on whether or not he's attractive or ugly. He's also called an 'asshole' a 'hypocrite' and a 'tosser' and there are various negative references to his gingerness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan was called fat or ugly almost every time I heard the guy discussed as being a useless presenter.

any time that happened in radio, the poster was banned. Guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

and there are various negative references to his gingerness.

Ah now hold on, whatever about anything else, gingerness should always be fair game.

:pac:

• Advertisement

One day it won't though, and that will be the end of the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Devore has pushed the thread into the after hours moderators forum for us to look at. This action is not tantamount to a policy decision or any major shift in how after hours is going to be run in the future. It is an isolated incident.
    You have to look at this thread in isolation and note a number of points before exrapolating this into a larger argument because it really was unnecessarily abusive. I had never heard of this journalist before and even now struggle to recall her name. The thread was a trainwreck destined for a lock depending on how quickly the usual spew of vitriol is exhausted. Because we want to try and improve how we do things on after hours it's now in our moderators forum for us to look at. I have no interest in going to bat to keep this thread in after hours because it is better off without it. If I had seen what it turned into I would have locked it.

1 AH has become TCN lite. It should not be a forum for the abuse of anybody

2 Personal abuse should not happen on any forum; AH, TV, Gardening etc

3 Moderation seems to have been absent on the Deirdre thread. This needs to be looked at. A warning early would have braked the train.

4 There is a policy across Boards of no personal abuse. It needs to be upheld, and importantly, it needs to be done even-handedly. Oddly, the zoo that is Soccer is the only one I am aware of where the policy is strictly upheld.

5 My opinions and perceptions voiced are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to be representative of any other person or entity. They are not intended to offend or cause distress.

Lastly, I wholly agree with the removal of the thread. It should not have been allowed to happen in the first place, but no threads of an abusive nature should be allowed, yet, sadly, they are. Thus the wonderment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

nipplenuts wrote: »
    4 There is a policy across Boards of no personal abuse. It needs to be upheld, and importantly, it needs to be done even-handedly. Oddly, the zoo that is Soccer is the only one I am aware of where the policy is strictly upheld.

it isn't tolerated in PI either, it is an instantly bannable offence

I like AH, I really do but I do feel that people that post there seem to feel that they have licence to say whatever the hell they want

Sometimes it is funny, sometimes it is abuse, it is a fine line and it is down to the Mods to draw it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

1 AH has become TCN lite.

TCN Lite?
    TCN LITE?
    That's unnecessarily insulting!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I've mentioned this before. Doesn't bother me too much, but seems to come to the front when its one of Ireland's own. We don't allow abuse of a Boards member, but another popular (good or bad) can be ridiculed. Its normal in every day life. But very hard to stay to one side of the line when Boards is liable for whats posted.

2 Personal abuse should not happen on any forum; AH, TV, Gardening etc
    Its all Alan Titchmarsh's fault

3 Moderation seems to have been absent on the Deirdre thread. This needs to be looked at. A warning early would have braked the train.
    I haven't looked at the time line of the first and last post or reported posts. But don't expect there to be a mod on at all times. There could be a few hrs of no one around.

Soccer abuse rule is far behind the line to protect people its crazy!

5 My opinions and perceptions voiced are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to be representative of any other person or entity. They are not intended to offend or cause distress.
    Opinions of some are intended to offend. I'd like if Irish law would allow posters be prosecuted for them instead of the site.

Lastly, I wholly agree with the removal of the thread. It should not have been allowed to happen in the first place, but no threads of an abusive nature should be allowed, yet, sadly, they are. Thus the wonderment
    But yet as already mentioned the histroy of Jerry Ryan, Jane Goody, Mary Harney, Roy Keane and an almost endless list of others is and has been allowed.

Do we allow posters pick at people until we feel worried that there might be a court case against Boards and then step in and take action?

I don't agree with a blanket ban on "abuse" across the site. Sterilisation isn't the way forward. Fun banter would be gone. Ya, this coming from the guy that took action on the Gary Coleman thread in AH last week. Pot, kettle and black stands out. Inconsistent? Just a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The rest of your points and opinions can go take a running jump as far as I care, but this made me lol. I'd have nuked the thread and banned everyone who posted in it for at least 6 months without listening or caring to any appeals, because that thread was a goddamn travesty. Sometimes I wonder if the After Hours folks really don't realise how nice their moderators are.

Oh, almost forgot- Here are a bunch of stupid emoticons so people can just dismiss my post as TCN nonsense, because I'm accommodating like that::cool::P:eek::P:P:rolleyes::o:pac:

Is that you offering to mod AH Sarky?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Is that you offering to mod AH Sarky?

Monty reincarnate with added energizer batteries for longer life :)

Rabies wrote: »
    Monty reincarnate with added energizer batteries for longer life :)

Who also seems to be on boards in the wee hours :D

You'll regret this old woman.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh for God's sake..... I've just read that David McWilliams thread...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054876957&highlight=mcwilliams

You cant seriously be likening that to the Reynolds thread..... one guy called him an asshole. Lots of people disagreed, some banter about his red hair and plenty of support too.

Now, its not the first thread I'm going to point to with pride on Boards but its TOTALLY DIFFERENT Its a QUANTITATIVE DIFFERENCE from the Reynolds thread, which started off nasty, got nastier and had no redeeming features.

Should the "asshole" comment have been cut? Probably. I've left it so people can review the thread themselves.

Seriously, compare that thread to what happened with Reynolds. Its a joke. A Joke.

DeV.

Sarky wrote: »
    You'll regret this old woman.

DeVore wrote: »

Seriously, compare that thread to what happened with Reynolds. Its a joke. A Joke.

DeV.

Ehm, you deleted it, so we can't :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

The bigger question here is why are someone's looks in any way shape or form relevant when questioning their ability to do their job?

I mean look at me, I'm a fat and hairy, heavy metal fan. If I make a decision for this site that doesn't work out, am I expected to have to put up with people saying "that was a terrible idea - he was probably too busy wondering how many kebabs he was going to eat after work" as fair criticism? Is this a "crossing the line" case because its commenting on someone doing their job (which I don't have a problem with as long as it's civil), but would also be considered personal abuse of a member on the site?

It is, to me, a sign of a poor intellect that comments on someone's looks are considered to be reasonable criticism of them as a person or professional.

I always thought you were pretty hawt myself...

Dav wrote: »
    It is, to me, a sign of a poor intellect that comments on someone's looks are considered to be reasonable criticism of them as a person or professional.

Tell that to Citibank.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

he was probably too busy wondering how many kebabs he was going to eat after work
    But how would you get the skewer untangled from the beard?....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Ehm, you deleted it, so we can't :pac:

It's still available in google cache, I won't post the link but use "somebodys name" site:www.boards.ie

To be honest the admins have a point, it is pretty rough on her.

She should die.

Her only interest seems to be money.
    What a horrible person.
    Drivel drivel drivel, arse gravy, she should have fúcked off with the celtic tiger
    Is this the one who thinks shes the Irish Carrie Bradshaw and looks like a cross between a hippo and an ugly rhino?
    What the f**k planet is she living on???

Withinn the first 10 posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

The bigger question here is why are someone's looks in any way shape or form relevant when questioning their ability to do their job?

I mean look at me, I'm a fat and hairy, heavy metal fan. If I make a decision for this site that doesn't work out, am I expected to have to put up with people saying "that was a terrible idea - he was probably too busy wondering how many kebabs he was going to eat after work" as fair criticism? Is this a "crossing the line" case because its commenting on someone doing their job (which I don't have a problem with as long as it's civil), but would also be considered personal abuse of a member on the site?

Anyone else dying for a kebab now? =[

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

DeVore wrote: »
    Oh for God's sake..... I've just read that David McWilliams thread...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054876957&highlight=mcwilliams

You cant seriously be likening that to the Reynolds thread..... one guy called him an asshole. Lots of people disagreed, some banter about his red hair and plenty of support too.

Now, its not the first thread I'm going to point to with pride on Boards but its TOTALLY DIFFERENT Its a QUANTITATIVE DIFFERENCE from the Reynolds thread, which started off nasty, got nastier and had no redeeming features.

Should the "asshole" comment have been cut? Probably. I've left it so people can review the thread themselves.

DeV.

Did you look at the other thread and make the same call Dev?
    copacetic wrote: »
    Could you look at this one Dev? It wasn't even AH..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055825557

Advertisement