Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you really...

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My opinion, not an official response:

What I see Jazzy is you seemingly being very eager to run to feedback with any real or perceived slight in order to create a drama llama thread about it.

When inevitably after wasting a bunch of our time explaining you slink off with a "I'm not happy" harrumph until the next drama where anything you disagree with happens.

All the while you wander around the site like Lord Muck dishing our "Derp of the day" (I mean, what the hell? You joined in 2004 so I can safely assume you are at least...what, six! My 7 year old nephew would called that "ignorant").

Meanwhile I have to hold the line against people who want your account closed because I defend your right to raise issues and post idiot Derps but you know what, its hard. Its hard when you repeatedly troop out the same broken record of "company waaah, censorship waaah, moderators waaah". Its like stopping someone stabbing a kid, while the kid kicks you repeatedly in the shins. You still do it but somewhere inside, if you are human, part of you thinks "I wish they would stab this fncking child".

And I'm sorry if I'm not here often enough for you're liking but that company you wang on about can only pay me enough for a few hours a week so the rest is on my time and if you review my posts they often head towards the middle of the night getting things sorted out. I'm sure you will have some witty retort for that, at least witty in your head.

So, you want honesty? I'm human, and I only can do so much and you dont help at all, you dont bring anything postive. You are negative energy I would gladly do without except that the very principles you attack stop me from kicking your ass to the curb.

This site isnt perfect, my god, thats NOT a shock to me. But you arent bringing solutions you are bring negativity and now you are chiding us about what we are "probably going to do!". wow.

If thats not how you see things, then you need to go back and rethink how you communicate. I'll leave you the last word then this thread is getting closed.

/personal opinion.

Its DeVs Honesty Week. There's one for everyone in the audience who wants it.

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

this wasnt a drama llama thread, nor did I intend it to be. others did that, at the end I posted:
    so you are imposing your ideas of civility upon us simply because you can?

not as a shot at you, but as an analysis of policy. the keyword was you. the you is ambigious, because there are many admins and mods and they all have different ideas and feelings and that will effect their decisions as regards threads staying open and closed. I would have preferred talking about that and the depth involved there rather what has been posted.

the derp thing started over a persistant troll that has yet to be sorted out. he'd just post inane nonsense in an effort to rile up other posters so Id ironically reply 'Derp', acting as stupid as what Ive just read.

if you didnt want posters trying to point out things they think are wrong, then why have a feedback? Good things have been done through it and Ive seen that. the closer and more emotional the analysis learns the most lessons I reckon. tbh, 8 months ago I didnt think there was much to write home about as regards the future of this site, but through the feedback section Ive seen differently. There are hard working people and dedicated people here that make a difference to everyones posting and that is to be commended, at the same time - you cant rest on your laurels.
    would you prefer I post up one of those "oh you guys are so great" threads or do you want to hear what people have to say, regardless of whether you like them or not.
    DeVore wrote:
    And I'm sorry if I'm not here often enough for you're liking but that company you wang on about can only pay me enough for a few hours a week so the rest is on my time and if you review my posts they often head towards the middle of the night getting things sorted out. I'm sure you will have some witty retort for that, at least witty in your head.

tbh, no & no. I dont nearly think of you as an "enemy" or whatever you seem to have in your head, nor did I have any sort of witty retort in my head. one of my mates did get sitebanned from here, but he knows that was his own dumb fault and he in no way speaks for me in any regard. if you think im embittered towards you because of his actions and what he has to say, then you are grossly mistaken.

principles are always open to question, the problem with your position is that they are the difference between smooth sailing on a web forum or an iceberg to the groin. yeah its hard, but you do a good job of putting it out there. I wouldnt think of myself as a negative energy though, just one that strives for more. maybe in my posting style I dont often get this across, but that fluctuates and develops, just like the forums on this site do.
    as for solutions, thats up to you guys. at the end of the day im just one of the thousands of end users here and a lot of you admins have been here for over a decade, its your solutions which Im interested in.

I think you have me summed up wrong in your head if I was to be frank. heck, next time you're at a LAN or something come find me (or ill find you) and talk to me in person there and Id be more then happy to talk to you about what and how Im thinking :) maybe even show ya a trick or 2 on dm6 ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok you know what.... thats fair enough Jazzy, genuinely it is. (btw,thats the first I have heard of your mate being banned).

I think a lot of people get peeved because you do seem to constantly criticise and it turns from "keep things on the straight and narrow" into "sniping" in many people's heads.

I do think you might want to think more about how you communicate because to tell you the truth, I presumed you hated my guts and stuck around to stick a knife in but always stay on this side of the line. Honestly, it kinda come across as that and I dont mean knife me personally, I mean knife the site and the mods and the company.

thats the first honestly human/positive thing I can remember you saying for example. Its probably NOT, but thats my perception just fyi.

Look, I'm not a bad guy, Daft and Boards LTD isnt some big conglomerate who are waiting in the wings to crush all dissent, they've been involved for 2 years now and can you honestly say you have seen anything of the doom that was predicted by the doom mongers when they bought in?

Fair enough, I respect you coming back and making that post. No one has ever done anything like Boards before, its a freaking struggle and there are questions raised that no one has ever had to answer before. We're doing what we can with what we have and I think we're doing great. But it has to be someone's vision and very arbitraraily, since I kicked this off it drops in my lap a lot.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

DeVore wrote: »
    Its DeVs Honesty Week. There's one for everyone in the audience who wants it.

Can I have one?

Who are you again? :p

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Oh... nobody... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

This dude needs some of your honesty, DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'm not quiet sure what this thread is about, and don't really care but I just wanted to point out that displaying and publicly talking about what posts any individual reported is not on. That is supposed to be done in private and as an act of civility towards the community by bringing stuff that might have been missed to the mods attention. Having it thrown back in someones face is not on, and goes against most of what I thought Boards was about.

Well done on posting that. I thought it but would never have posted it. Seeing as you stuck your neck out I'll + 1 you :)

Either way I'll now join in on ignoring that Elephant in the room. That is what they call them these days...innit? :p

Ok Quazzie, I take your point but I think if you are calling hypocrisy when you are being hypocritical then its fair game. We'll agree to differ on that but I'll take your point on board.

DeV.

Well done on posting that. I thought it but would never have posted it. Seeing as you stuck your neck out I'll + 1 you :)

Either way I'll now join in on ignoring that Elephant in the room. That is what they call them these days...innit? :p
    Who are you then?

What is this elephant?

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think a lot of people get peeved because you do seem to constantly criticise and it turns from "keep things on the straight and narrow" into "sniping" in many people's heads.

I think that is something which we should be wary of, yes we have whingers and whingers and those who can't wait do start with the "Your doing it wrong" but there are posters who point stuff out cos the are concerned and then can be labelled as trouble when they are only doing so cos they give a shít.

Fair enough, I respect you coming back and making that post. No one has ever done anything like Boards before, its a freaking struggle and there are questions raised that no one has ever had to answer before. We're doing what we can with what we have and I think we're doing great. But it has to be someone's vision and very arbitraraily, since I kicked this off it drops in my lap a lot.

DeV.

hopefully feedforward will be something to take some of that pressure off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Ok Quazzie, I take your point but I think if you are calling hypocrisy when you are being hypocritical then its fair game. We'll agree to differ on that but I'll take your point on board.

DeV.

Sorry to stick my neck out here, but that doesnt seem right or fair.

For example, the feedback system on adverts works on exactly the opposite, they frown upon someone leaving negative feedback just because the other party did.

Are you saying this is acceptable on boards?

DeV.

I don't think Quazzie was calling hypocrisy. It was a simple post, from my understanding, pointing out the fact that you used your power as an admin to mention a reported post from a user to use against them in a debate, when that report a post function is considered somewhat confidential and thus goes against the spirit of boards.

That was my take on it.
    Who are you then?

What is this elephant?

DeV.

I am Aids By Google. Like Ads By Goolge but with added Aids! :)

The Elephant seems to be invisible to you from the point of Quazzies initial post, to your reply, which seems a nicely answered slight of hand type reply.

All in my own opinion mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

DeV.

I apologize if I was somehow being hypocritical, I wasn't meant to. I was just simply pointing out something that I thought was beneath you. This site means a lot to some people (who am I telling? :rolleyes:) and for it to be successful requires the report post function. Its always been understood (perhaps wrongly as I don't recall seeing it wrote anywhere) that it was done with best intention and confidentiality in mind.

I just thought the way you brought that up, in a heated debate was a bit underhanded and beneath your normal behaviour which I have mostly found to be professional, and courteous.

No hidden agenda behind it, just saying it how I saw it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

and for it to be successful requires the report post function. Its always been understood (perhaps wrongly as I don't recall seeing it wrote anywhere) that it was done with best intention and confidentiality in mind.

+1 to this. I report posts all the time, often I'm not personally offended or put out by a post but I think a mod should get the heads up to have a look and make the call. I appreciated that when I was a mod.

I'm sure I'm posted things that are the same/worse than posts I've reported, does that make me a hypocrite? I don't think it does, it just means I reported posts for the benefit of boards and or the mods.

If by reporting posts I risk getting them thrown back in my face at a later stage because I haven't lived up to what I reported (in an honest effort to help out); then why would I (or anyone) bother reporting posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's no point in sitting under a pool table and propping up a corner whenever a ball comes your way when you can be seen to be the ones holding the cue

I just thought the way you brought that up, in a heated debate was a bit underhanded and beneath your normal behaviour which I have mostly found to be professional, and courteous.

No hidden agenda behind it, just saying it how I saw it.

+1 Again.

I find you to be very fair and linear in your thinking and know you don't do stuff out of badness. Well unless you want to and that is usually in extreme circumstances! "Badness" being not quite the droid I am looking for.

Sorry Quazzie, I wasnt referring to you being hypocritical I was referring to BrazilianNZ being a hypocrite that while shouting for his right to roundly abuse someone specific he had reported posts which in any way criticised the public sector.

Perhaps I shouldnt have linked the post he reported, but I dont consider reported posts sacrosanct. Fair enough, I can see your point and I wont repeat it but what should I have done? Simply refer to his reporting of it? seriously I dont see any other option

I'm damned if i'm going to stand by and let someone exercise that double-standard while accusing me of just that?!

Also, funny for all you "Its not like the old days" folks, but in the old days I rang people's bosses or had the community email their headmasters etc... Selective memory seems massively in play along with some rose tinted glasses :)

But fine, hands up, I wont expose the specifics of someone's reported post again but I reserve the right to generally call them on hypocrisy if they shout about the opposite.

So, I wasnt calling you a hypocrite at all, sorry about that misunderstanding (not sure how anyone read it like that but clearly people did, my bad).

DeV.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i didn't read it as you calling Quazzie a hypocrite anyway..

+1 Again.

I find you to be very fair and linear in your thinking and know you don't do stuff out of badness. Well unless you want to and that is usually in extreme circumstances! "Badness" being not quite the droid I am looking for.
    I find you a coward who has clearly been here before and hides behind a rereg. Sorry, its Honesty week in DeV house.

Or have you picked all that up since Apr this year.

Pffff, come out from behind the curtain. I dont hide.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I know I reported posts in the past, but were any of the posts in the Deirdre R thread actually reported?

Yes.

DeV.

I find you a coward who has clearly been here before and hides behind a rereg. Sorry, its Honesty week in DeV house.

Or have you picked all that up since Apr this year.

Pffff, come out from behind the curtain. I dont hide.

DeV.

God bless your invented Boards.ie Biki. Handy tool. Did you not look at my last posts to get a profile? No reported post to help? Did you try calling in favours with the CIA, police PC crime squad etc? They may have something you can use?

I'd rather you didn't take your being caught with your pants down angst on me too.

Also, funny for all you "Its not like the old days" folks, but in the old days I rang people's bosses or had the community email their headmasters etc... Selective memory seems massively in play along with some rose tinted glasses :)

DeV.

Ah the old day folk... that thin line of appeasement... (You still have Theadlyhead on your side!)

That was before publishing PMs :rolleyes: You know? abusing private information.

There was no community then, just internets nerds. Sure didn't you use them win a Spider award? You know? the first one?

Not that such a thing would be OK now, you know what with the internet being right and... yeah what ever.

I got bored :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Ah the old day folk... that thin line of appeasement... (You still have Theadlyhead on your side!)

See for us normal peoples there isnt sides. There is only sides for people looking to cause trouble and take the hump when they get told to cut it out.

. . . .Aids by google. . Cut it out.

See for us normal peoples there isnt sides. There is only sides for people looking to cause trouble and take the hump when they get told to cut it out.

. . . .Aids by google. . Cut it out.

\/\/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 adidas by google

\/\/

Wanna start a gang, dude?
    Me, you and the other fella.
    We could have jackets done up with the big N on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Wanna start a gang, dude?
    Me, you and the other fella.
    We could have jackets done up with the big N on the back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

So posts that are reported are not reported in privacy then? I thought they were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    So posts that are reported are not reported in privacy then? I thought they were.

It doesn't state specifically when you report a post that it is done in confidence, but it shouldn't be used against you in a discussion, imo. Personally, I didn't see a huge comparison for hypocrisy in the issue in this thread or the post you reported, unless it was to make a point that you can be either offended by everything or nothing, which is not entirely possible being a human :)

Advertisement