Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is MUSIC people!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

ps: many thanks to someone who put this videos on you tube!!!

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

More an Eric Bibb fan myself

- I just listened to his song and all I can say is really nice, blues...not that deep and mystical unfortunately.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Roisin has some good bands play bejayney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYV7xfQF2UQ

Cartoon Thieves play residency. Formerly No Banjo. They are playing at the Docks next week. They didn't sound as good at them last year as when they play indoors but still good none the less. Buck 65 is good anytime he comes to town. Guggenheim Grotto have a few good songs in their bag. Sinner Boy are worth a look when they come over too.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Roisin has some good bands play bejayney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYV7xfQF2UQ

Cartoon Thieves play residency. Formerly No Banjo. They are playing at the Docks next week. They didn't sound as good at them last year as when they play indoors but still good none the less. Buck 65 is good anytime he comes to town. Guggenheim Grotto have a few good songs in their bag. Sinner Boy are worth a look when they come over too.

-yeah, thanks, but this sitll "istn't it" for me -dead can dance and Brendan Perry made something completely new in world of music - very spiritual, very archetypal yet modern. I am very sorry event's like this dont happen more often in Galway! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Maja wrote: »
    -yeah, thanks, but this sitll "istn't it" for me -dead can dance and Brendan Perry made something completely new in world of music - very spiritual, very archetypal yet modern. I am very sorry event's like this dont happen more often in Galway! :(

If that's what your into. More power to ya. He has a nice Sinatra like Voice. Does he have any other songs with a bit more kick to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Were you at the gig? He was superb! What was the name of the local guy who got up and sang with him for a while? He had a great voice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbndohvYHJQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTZtO3OFhc&translated=1

I was very very surprised there was really not to many people in Roisin dubh that day. Evereone who knows good music should be sorry! It was absolutely beautiful and unforgettable! I want more!!! :(

is it any wonder there were not many people in the roisin that day that music is enough to clear any pub.

hoodrats wrote: »
    is it any wonder there were not many people in the roisin that day that music is enough to clear any pub.

-yeah you are propably listening to lady gaga... or some crap like this... SAD!

• Advertisement

This is absolutely depresing that "crowd" and all teenagers have such a cheap taste and no sensitivity. All dress the same, all look the same, all listen to horrible empty and stupid music, all think only about shoping and their mobile phones! SAD SAD SAD -and after drinking they all go to supermacs or another crap fast food -kfc now!
    Plastic people. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

All dress the same, all look the same, all listen to horrible empty and stupid music, all think only about shoping and their mobile phones! SAD SAD SAD -and after drinking they all go to supermacs or another crap fast food

Swap supermacs for the kabab house and you have the roisin dubh crowd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

IMO the Townhouse plays the best music in galway city

JJayoo wrote: »
    Swap supermacs for the kabab house and you have the roisin dubh crowd :)

-I am not "roisin dubh crowd" -I was there first time and I dont eat kebabs...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This is absolutely depresing that "crowd" and all teenagers have such a cheap taste and no sensitivity. All dress the same, all look the same, all listen to horrible empty and stupid music, all think only about shoping and their mobile phones! SAD SAD SAD -and after drinking they all go to supermacs or another crap fast food -kfc now!
    Plastic people. :(

Hey, each to their own.

I'd go to that gig in the Roisin before I'd go near any of the Lady Gaga crap but you can't really come in here and say this is the only music anyone should listen to.

You're coming across as a bit of a music snob to be honest. Maybe that's why people didn't go to the gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I'll take the Gaga option thanks.
    This stuff sounds a bit boring, although I'd say it would be good for lulling you to sleep.
    Better plastic than pretentious. ;)

People didnt go to that gig, because I am music snob? :D So, I am food snob too -I wont go near KFC!
    -and I didnt say that's the only music people should listen to -I just said -this is GOOD MUSIC and there is much more out there, but for some reason -the best is not popular here at all. Take Roisin Murphy (moloko) fod example. She is brilliant- nothing to compare to lady G and have never ever heard her music here on radio!!! She is Irish!!! People in Zhivago didnt know who she is! I couldnt belive that!

dloob wrote: »
    I'll take the Gaga option thanks.
    This stuff sounds a bit boring, although I'd say it would be good for lulling you to sleep.
    Better plastic than pretentious. ;)

-its boring for someone who doesnt understand it... simple

I this boring :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnStrrsZTg&feature=fvst ?

-this is very good music too and I bet you have never heard it before...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

People didnt go to that gig, because I am music snob? :D So, I am food snob too -I wont go near KFC!
    -and I didnt say that's the only music people should listen to -I just said -this is GOOD MUSIC and there is much more out there, but for some reason -the best is not popular here at all. Take Roisin Murphy (moloko) fod example. She is brilliant- nothing to compare to lady G and have never ever heard her music here on radio!!! She is Irish!!! People in Zhivago didnt know who she is! I couldnt belive that!

I said you're coming across as a music snob. I didn't say that you are.

That is good music to your ears. Dance music is good to someone else's ears.

I don't think it's the best music, the best music to me comes from Bruce Springsteen, Elton John and Jackson Browne. Buy hey, that's my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Exponential approach towards IBTL.. :)

And to ACTUALLY contribute to this - my flatmate won tickets to it and went, she thought he had a nice voice but found the arrangements very repetitive and overall that it was a bit dull. She thought the crowd interaction was minimal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I this boring :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnStrrsZTg&feature=fvst ?

-this is very good music too and I bet you have never heard it before...

It's not bad, it lacks a certain something, that oomph that would make it a hit.
    I've heard of her before when there was that overblown commotion that lady gaga stole her style, never listened to much of her stuff. That remix version of sing it back was great though back in the moloko days

I don't really care for music with meaning, sometimes I just want something entertaining in the background.

This is all becoming a bit non Galway City related I foresee banishment to the music forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've heard Roisin Murphy being played on the radio often and I'm surprised the staff in Zhivago hadn't heard of her, she's fairly popular. While I like her music a lot I have to admit I prefer Lady Gaga!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I have heard Roisins music plenty of times on the radio you must be just unlucky or listening to the wrong stations. As for the staff not knowing who she was, so what ? Are they expected to know every single artist out there, but she's Irish how would they not know :eek:

Maybe they didn't have a clue who she was because they just aren't into the same music as you, did you ever think of that ?

padi89 wrote: »
    I have heard Roisins music plenty of times on the radio you must be just unlucky or listening to the wrong stations. As for the staff not knowing who she was, so what ? Are they expected to know every single artist out there, but she's Irish how would they not know :eek:

Maybe they didn't have a clue who she was because they just aren't into the same music as you, did you ever think of that ?

-I used to work in a book shoop time ago and to be honest with you I did know many more titles including books I "wasnt into", the fact they didnt know who she is just means people dont buy her albums here! I dont care if they are into the same kind of music, they should know more then what they listen themselfs.

And to ACTUALLY contribute to this - my flatmate won tickets to it and went, she thought he had a nice voice but found the arrangements very repetitive and overall that it was a bit dull. She thought the crowd interaction was minimal too.

I am affraid she doesn know what "dull" means and no offense she is a bit ignorant herself.. and the crowd interaction whas appropriate (exept some talking loud idiots ) to this kind of music - no madness needed here,as I said this is very spiritual music and everyone can just feel it and appreciate inside.

I am affraid she doesn know what "dull" means and no offense she is a bit ignorant herself.. and the crowd interaction whas appropriate (exept some talking loud idiots ) to this kind of music - no madness needed here,as I said this is very spiritual music and everyone can just feel it and appreciate inside.

Haha. She's a very talented professional musician. Cheers.

Look. Let people have their own opinions, please. And this doesn't have anything to do with Galway city now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

And this doesn't have anything to do with Galway city now.
    I concur.

You're all wrong anyway - this is Music! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement