Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Easytrip - what am I doing wrong?

• 01-06-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

So, other than making the stupid decision to get a tag in the first place, can anyone enlighten me as to where I'm going wrong.

Tag is in car (on windscreen). I drive through the M50, trip shows up, all good. I drive through the M8 (Fermoy) toll, go into the express lane... and the light stays red, and won't let me through. This has happened 3 or 4 times, in each instance making me do some dodgy manoeuvres to stop blocking the express lane while people behind me are going insane. Thought it was just something weird with Fermoy. The first few times I used the Fermoy toll it worked fine. Next time I used it a green arrow directed me to the left, and into an unmanned booth.
    Then I drove through the M4/M6 route recently and had the same problem.

Easytrip say there's no problem with my tag, as it works on the M50 and in carparks.
    Any theories as to what I'm doing wrong? Am I driving too fast, too slow, too left, too right, too much on a Monday? It's driving me demented - I must be doing something wrong, as the same lane works for the poor people behind me (who probably curse the idiot who's holding them up).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Ahhhh, not so easy now, is it!

I have no real experience with these tags, so excuse my noobness, but are you sure they work for all tolls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It may be the reader at the gate is faulty. I have been using tags for four years and only had one experience as described in the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Ahhhh, not so easy now, is it!
    No :(
    I have no real experience with these tags, so excuse my noobness, but are you sure they work for all tolls?
    Yeah, the website says it works everywhere (on the list): http://easytrip.ie/?page_id=9 It's worked at Fermoy in the past, but the toll gods have obviously taken a dislike to me.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    It may be the reader at the gate is faulty. I have been using tags for four years and only had one experience as described in the OP.

I thought that too, but it seems to like other people. I'm not used to that level of discernment from tech.

Nipplenuts, as a regular user of tags, what speed do you approach the lights at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Fermoy one stays red if you approach too fast, I've found from extensive use. It also has a habit of not going green until very, very late even then. Also the easytrip tags don't beep there (or the M6 Ballinasloe) which makes it even more disconcerting!

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    The Fermoy one stays red if you approach too fast, I've found from extensive use. It also has a habit of not going green until very, very late even then. Also the easytrip tags don't beep there (or the M6 Ballinasloe) which makes it even more disconcerting!

Thanks, that's reassuring. What's "too fast"? Over 50? 70? 140 ;)?

Try 60km/h first of all and see if it works.

I presume it works on the barriered lanes no problem? Mine always has when its bounced on the express.

No, that's the problem - I always end up having to dig out cash then. If the other barriers lifted for me I could put up with that. I think I'll just send the tag back and tell them to either send a new one or cancel the account altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thoie wrote: »
    Thanks, that's reassuring. What's "too fast"? Over 50? 70? 140 ;)?
    Try 60km/h first of all and see if it works.

Big sign on the approach to the Fermoy Toll on both sides that clearly state 50 KPH..

Maybe thats the problem :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I had similar problem with this tag - worked on M50 but nowhere else! Was an absolute pain and no matter how slow I went it never worked on the M4 for me. I got rid of it and used another provider - no problems with the new tag at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I approach at the posted limit, or below. 50kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I had similar problem with this tag - worked on M50 but nowhere else! Was an absolute pain and no matter how slow I went it never worked on the M4 for me. I got rid of it and used another provider - no problems with the new tag at all

Same thing happened to me, M50 only, they cancelled and then reactivated the tag and it now works everywhere...go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

The only time I've had problems was on the fermoy one. I think its because you have to go really slow and I didn't.

The new toll on the M7/M8 is super quick....approched it at 80 - 90 kmh this morning and she pops up well ahead of you reaching the barrier so I can zoom out at 120!! I just hope there is no speed camera on it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Have had the same problems on those tolls - you need to hit the first barrier bit ( where the height limiter is ) at 50Kph and make sure you stay below that as you approach the other barriers.

Bit annoying as you have to slow right down a good bit out to make it work - I tend to get people "closing the gap" at some speed but it seems to work every time if you get down to 50 before that first barrier.

vectra wrote: »
    Big sign on the approach to the Fermoy Toll on both sides that clearly state 50 KPH..

Yes, but it hasn't worked at 35kph or 40kph (with no-one up my ass), and frankly I'd imagine that much slower on a motorway greatly increases my likelihood of being hit from behind.

GreeBo, when they cancelled and reactivated, did you have to send the tag back to them? Because if I'm sending it back I might as well cancel :)

vectra wrote: »

The M1 and M6 tolls work well above the posted speed. The M4 one either doesn't or plays chicken with you (and I always chicken out :o)
    No, that's the problem - I always end up having to dig out cash then. If the other barriers lifted for me I could put up with that. I think I'll just send the tag back and tell them to either send a new one or cancel the account altogether.

Thats a system problem then, GreeBo's suggestion makes most sense. Mine always lifts at the gates if it fails in the express lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

GreeBo wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me, M50 only, they cancelled and then reactivated the tag and it now works everywhere...go figure.

the same happened with me, except they cancelled cos i changed laser card and forgot to give them the new card number, when reactivated it works everytime on M8, prior to this i was like you and had to change lanes at the last minute numerous times

not a new tag the same one though.

are you keeping your distance between cars also?

The M1 and M6 tolls work well above the posted speed.

To be fair to myself, even though I was feeling incredibly stupid about not being able to operate an automatic toll barrier, I generally keep to posted speed limits.
    patrickc wrote: »

not a new tag the same one though.

are you keeping your distance between cars also?

When you say the same tag, did you post it back to them or did they reactivate remotely using alien technology?

And yes, as well as keeping to the posted speed limits, I also allow appropriate distances between me and the car in front, adjusted for weather conditions. I suspect the toll reader may not care about the weather conditions, or how spiffingly perfect I am.

Anyway, thanks everyone - I'll be in touch with the supplier tomorrow again and see what they plan to do to resolve the issue. If they plan on doing something radical (like give me free tolls for life?) I'll let you know.

When you say the same tag, did you post it back to them or did they reactivate remotely using alien technology?

They would have deleted its serial number of the main DB of tags and re-added it. There's someone that works for a tag provider on here sometimes, he could probably tell you exactly how it works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

GreeBo, when they cancelled and reactivated, did you have to send the tag back to them? Because if I'm sending it back I might as well cancel :)

I was supposed to send it back but never got round to it, and they just reactivated it...told ya it was magic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jocmilt

Egis Projects (Erieye Ground Interface Segment) who make the unit for Electro Automation, Mulhuddart, have a long history of government tracking systems for military and intelligence services. One day anyone who fails to comply fully with the powers that be will be blocked in this way from travelling, shopping, trading or even entering buildings or public vehicles, etc. You should value your historic experience; one little annoyance for you, one giant step backwards for mankind.

jocmilt wrote: »
    Egis Projects (Erieye Ground Interface Segment) who make the unit for Electro Automation, Mulhuddart, have a long history of government tracking systems for military and intelligence services. One day anyone who fails to comply fully with the powers that be will be blocked in this way from travelling, shopping, trading or even entering buildings or public vehicles, etc. You should value your historic experience; one little annoyance for you, one giant step backwards for mankind.

The units that easytrip use are made by Kapsch TrafficCom AG, to rather ruin your paranoid conspiracy.

Advertisement