Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing drop bars to hybrid type

• 01-06-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I have a focus cayo and was thinking of changing the bars to hybrid. Seen a guy cycling at the weekend with these bars and it looked alot more comfortable. Would it be a big job and how would you know what cables to get to suit the gear change and brakes,would it be expensive?? Im handy at doing stuff so would do it myself. anybody any info??

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Corrente_Courier_2010/5360045322/

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's not a Cayo in the pic. Or is it an example of the type of bars you want to move to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,169 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You might be better off swapping bikes with someone who wants to go the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Moving to straight bars is a lot cheaper than moving the other way around. Your most expensive bit is probably still going to be the shifters.

Also, you will have to find brakes which will work with your dual pivot brakes ... mountain bike brakes won't work.

A cheaper option might be to use a high raiser stem to get the current handlebars up to a more comfortable height. Also, why not try Midge handlebars for a wide drop position. Haven't used it myself, but have heard rave reviews online and am curious to try one out myself.

Handlebars here ... http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOMI/on-one-midge-handlebar
    And a review here ... http://63xc.com/mattc/midge.htm

The focus bikes are supposed to be an extremely racy bike ... not something to go for if you want a comfort fit ... I think they had 1 bike in their range that was a back friendly geometry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭fiestaman

el tonto wrote: »
    That's not a Cayo in the pic. Or is it an example of the type of bars you want to move to?

just using as an example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Thanks for replys, the bike is fine its just when i seen the guy on his,think it was a giant it looked to be a more comfortable position. maybe im raving and il stick with what i have.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

... why not try Midge handlebars for a wide drop position. Haven't used it myself, but have heard rave reviews online and am curious to try one out myself.
    I love the Midge bars, I have them on a road bike: lots of flat top for upright riding, but fantastic leverage further out for climbing. I switched over the Ultegra controls in a hour, no recabling or anything needed. For commuting though, I have Mungo's, less extreme somehow, but still flexible.
    I might put Mary's on the MTB and collect the set...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the cayo has quite a short headtube it doesnt have a sportive geometry (prob why i love it all my bikes are race bikes) but its less racey than my other road bikes.
    you could try flipping the stem to give you a higher position (not sure if the stem does this but put a stem that lifts up the front (as mentioned)
    i'd try that before changing handelebars etc

also have you any spacers on top of your stem , if you have you could put the spacers underneath the stem and lift the bars up a bit

actually thinking about it if you just put flat bars on you would prob get bad wrist pain because of the position you would end up with
    try fiddling with what you have, change stem and then change handlebars if its that bad

still think a cayo with flat bars would be so wrong

Advertisement