Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch Problem

• 01-06-2010 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Evening all. I've noticed a strange noise when ever i push the clutch to change gears, kind of a whirring noise, hard to describe really. But only occurs when foot is on clutch, even when idling or just after starting car ,the noise is there. Any idea what the problem could be? There are no other obvious problems. Had it serviced last week and it was ok. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

sounds like the release bearing

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Anotheridiot

any idea what that would cost to repair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Evening all. I've noticed a strange noise when ever i push the clutch to change gears, kind of a whirring noise, hard to describe really. But only occurs when foot is on clutch, even when idling or just after starting car ,the noise is there. Any idea what the problem could be? There are no other obvious problems. Had it serviced last week and it was ok. Thanks.

Probably release bearing. May also be pressure plate. Either way it looks lke a new clutch required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

any idea what that would cost to repair?

make and year of car

It's a citroen xsara picasso 1.6 2002.

• Advertisement

Took it to mechanic today. Said it's the bearings alright. Saying it could cost around 500 euro. Does that seem right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Took it to mechanic today. Said it's the bearings alright. Saying it could cost around 500 euro. Does that seem right?

Does that include a full clutch kit or just the bearing? What mileage is on the car?

Full clutch replacement. 125,000 km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Sounds alright to me anyway

Cheers. Thanks for help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 pandaflop

shop around, i recently got a full clutch kit on a 00 focus for e380 and i probably cud have gotten it cheaper, see if friends no any mechanics willing to do a nixer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Do you want to spend that amount of money to fix a whirring sound? My release bearing has whistled in cold weather for over 3 years now (close to 40k miles in that time). It's caused by the grease hardening when cold. Once it warms up the sound stops & clutch action is fine at all times.
    130k miles on the clock & when it the clutch finally does go I'll replace the lot then.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mercservices

Thats a bit harsh,shop around! The last one i did for 390, complete kit inc bearing supplied and fitted.

Advertisement