Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi Mustard Freaks!

Options
  • 02-06-2010 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Mustard loving noob from America here.

I'm happy I found this site when I Googled mustard forums, not knowing if any actually existed lol. I'm also happy that this seems to be a site full of Europeans as I am curious about what mustard in Europe is like compared to the States. I hear our mustard isn't as good as yours lol. I'm trying to make my own right now, and for my next batch I want to try to make something that is more like one would find in Europe, not what is found in American grocery stores.

My question is are mustards spicier and more flavorful there? What do I need to know about European mustards? What ingredients are used, how long is it aged, etc.... I know that there are various types from each region. I would like to make something spicy, preferrably a brown grain mustard. Are European mustards a lot spicier and more flavorful? What type of textures do your mustards have?

Is anybody here experienced in making your own? I've looked up recipes for mustard and I've seen some recipes that are made of just mustard powder. The ones made from mustard seeds also include the powder. Is this common in Europe? What is the flavor difference between the seeds and powder?

I think I'll leave it here for now. I appreciate any future help and info anybody can provide.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Hello fellow mustard lover!
    As I've never been to America I simply dont know but the mustard we get here in Ireland that has American flags printed on it tends to be totally non spicy :( in saying that I'll also point out that I have a jar of Maille "Dyon Originale", which has a French flag on it and its also is totally non spicy :( I think perhaps printing a countries flag on a jar of mustard might be a sign thats its not going to be spicy.
    Is that any mustard thats spicy enough? Ive yet to find it Im afraid. This Maille vintage has 160 years on the jar but I dont think that how long that have aged it for, or perhaps thats why it tastes so weak. Its texture is much like swampy water to be honest. It has plenty of little bits of something mixes through the swampy water type stuff that might very well have once been tadpoles of perhaps mustard seeds. Im unsure in my present state of mind.
    The mustard Ive tasted in France (may they loose every match in every world cup! frog eating ugly hairy gits!) and Holland were pretty good but the best Ive ever tasted was in Italy some years ago. That gave me the sensation that my mouth had come alive. Get to Italy and try for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bubba Shlub

Get to Italy and try for yourself.

Yeah......if I could afford to travel :D

Do you remember the name of that particular mustard? Maybe I could find it online and order it............when I can afford to spend some money :D

Another question I forgot to ask is about the mustard I'm making right now. I don't know if it will thicken as it ages, but as of right now it's a bit on the thin side. I had no way of grinding the seeds so they are left whole, and I also think I may have added too much beer or vinegar, both of which may have resulted in the thinner texture. I don't know if I should add more mustard powder or let it sit a few days and see what happens. (I just made it yesterday). I also didn't heat it on the stove, which a lot of recipes say to do. This is supposed to thicken it, but I've also read that it also reduces the potency of the mustard, which I don't want . I want the spicy stuff lol.

Advertisement