Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo Soldier SX9-DB

Options
  • 02-06-2010 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Tokyo Soldier SX9-DB

A beautiful piece, and quite unique. Bought from Eirsoft for €199 with fantastic customer service as always.

Background:
    This sniper rifle is one of those things which sounds too good to be true – or at least too cheap to be true. A shell ejecting system, as well as a skirmish magazine, on top of the choice between Gas and Spring bolts.

In the box:
    - Rifle with subtle, yet effective, sights on RIS rail
    - Scope with Covers
    - Scope rings
    - Gas Bolt
    - Shell ejecting magazine (holds 5 shells) with 10 shells
    - BB’s
    - Tools (Allen key + multi-tool for hop up, windage & elevation adjustment etc)
    - Skirmish magazine
    - Skirmish magazine adapter
    - Bipod
    - Instructions – effective instructions for once
    For what it’s worth, which is admittedly not much but is a nice bonus, the box is very neat with everything held securely in place, and easy access…which is always nice in my opinion.

Now, onto the good stuff:
    First thing I wanted to know, and I’m sure you’re the same, is how the shell ejection system works. Sure, a frivolous extra…but damn is it cool. The shells are small bronze-ish plastic (which does feel cheap, but you get over this real fast…trust me), each holding 1 BB securely in place with a rubber ring. You load 5 shells into the magazine, which then slots into the mag-well. Nothing to suggest it’s a shell ejecting system, until you pull that bolt back and the casing flies out. Very, very satisfying. Rifle has the added bonus of being able to load a ‘bullet’ directly into the chamber, just for that ‘Assassins’ feel. One thing that’s important to note is that the shells can NOT be used with the Gas bolt.

So what about the skirmish mag? The skirmish mag is a long thin strip, that clips onto the outside of the rifle and loads BBs directly into the chamber via the adapter. It’s extremely subtle, holds 26 rounds, and works seamlessly. It feels like cheap, thin plastic…but it works like clockwork. Works with both spring and gas bolts.

Accuracy wise…point, click, hit. Seriously. That’s out of the box, no adjustment, at 30ft. That’s also using it’s sight on the RIS rail. I haven’t had the chance to zero in the scope thanks to exams, and due to playing with the shell ejection.

Changing the bolts is also very simple. There’s a little catch at the base of the trigger guard. All you do is slide that back, pull down & slide the bolt out, and slide in the other, pushing back in the trigger guard.

Quality wise…well, the rifle feels very sturdy, is comfortable to hold and feels realistic. The outer barrel is metal (of course), and the main body is good quality ABS. The butt of the stock is a comfortable and grippy rubber, and is just the right size for me…and I’m a fairly average build. The spring bolt’s pull is long, and even. I don’t find it any trouble, nor that it takes a lot of resistance, however that said my girlfriend found it tough-ish to pull. Gas bolt has a good bit of a shorter pull, but the resistance is fairly equal in my opinion…i.e. I don’t think it takes much to pull either.

The bipod is good quality, scope is crystal clear and easy to use. In fact, my only gripes are that the skirmish mag feels a little cheap, and that the shells do as well (however, as I pointed out – you really won’t care). A small point of contention is that I really don’t trust the rear sling mount…it just doesn’t look or feel the strongest, however that can be remedied fairly easily.

Verdict:
    Why don’t you own one? Quality is excellent, accuracy is impressive, and it comes with skirmish mag, shell ejecting mag, gas bolt, spring bolt, scope, bipod etc…and only €199? In my 100% honest opinion, buy one. Pulling back the bolt and ejecting the shells is so satisfying…and what’s even more satisfying is you know that it’s still practical in the skirmish field.

PS: I will update the review with pictures, video and further comments over the next while

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭gth

I was just looking at that today. thanks for the review :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Silent Death

Couple of things, Does it come with the gas and spring mags and do the spring mags look like this:
    MAG-MP002-L96-2T.jpg
    Also do you load the mag underneath and the shell ejection on top?
    Just so i got this right you get a full sniper with spring and gas bolt, a mag for each setting, tools, bipod, scope, some BB's and a striper clip for your shells which work without modificaion on the spring setting......Wow, ive got to reserve one now:)

Good review though thanks for thaking the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Couple of things, Does it come with the gas and spring mags and do the spring mags look like this:
    MAG-MP002-L96-2T.jpg
    Also do you load the mag underneath and the shell ejection on top?

The spring mags looks nothing like your standard sniper airsoft mag. Take 20 odd bbs, line them up and then imagine the smallest possible black box covering them and that's what it's like. It fits along the top, lies along the outside of the bolt on the left side.

The shell mag loads in the bottom but you can add them one at a time through the open bolt if you want.

There are a number of youtube vids of it in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

The shell ejecting mag is the one that goes into the magwell, and is more like a revolver's cylinder than anything else. Each shell you load in pushes down and rotates inward as you load the next. The skirmish mag is a long single stack mag that clips onto the outside of the rifle on the left hand side, from the bolt to the ejection port.

The rifle takes its gas in the other bolt, not in the mags. You just use the skirmish mag with the gas bolt and you're sorted.

Inari wrote: »
    The shell ejecting mag is the one that goes into the magwell, and is more like a revolver's cylinder than anything else. Each shell you load in pushes down and rotates inward as you load the next. The skirmish mag is a long single stack mag that clips onto the outside of the rifle on the left hand side, from the bolt to the ejection port.

The rifle takes its gas in the other bolt, not in the mags. You just use the skirmish mag with the gas bolt and you're sorted.

Oh, clever so its a universal mag. How many will the gas in the bolt cycle through?

Edit: Saw how the mag attaches???? Is it stable? Seems kinda odd

• Advertisement

Yup, it's very stable. Absolutely no problems with it at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

here's a photo of all the bits, if it makes it easier to understand.

you can see the skirmish mag up the top there by the scope, and the revolver mag is beside the shells. :)
    4646147832_229d803398_b.jpg

What do you think of it Masada??

What do you think of it then Inari??

Sorry, i missed this post referring to me,

i think its deadly, Although i haven't had the opportunity to use it at longer range yet.

it takes all of about 2 seconds to remove the bolt and install the new one, the trigger guard is the retaining pin and you just pull it down and slide the bolt out. I really like the shell eject thing though, most people who want sniper rifles fit into 2 categories, they either want a realistic piece for plinking out the back, or they want a skirmishable sniper rifle with decent ammo amounts. with this thing you have the best of both worlds. :)

There's a key thing in there for adjusting the hopup and that's pretty easy to do, for a gun that costs maybe 10-30 quid more than a BAR-10 you really do get value with them what with having both the gas and spring bolt, bipod, scope, 2 mags, shells etc etc.

• Advertisement

Looks like ill be definatly getting it. Good range?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mayotobo

is it quiet?

Sounds pretty much the same as an L96 or bar 10 really, not a quiet as a TM VSR but there's loads of things you can do to reduce the noise on these types of rifles. :)

I love it. I think it's a fantastic piece of kit. I can't fault it, especially for the price. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for a bolt action

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Seems almost too good to be true! Any after market parts available for it? Doesnt take AEG barrels by any chance?

@Stevie: That was EXACTLY my concern. It does seem too good to be true. But it is true. And it's bloody fantastic :D

I don't know about any after-market parts, and haven't stripped it to see if AEG barrels fit. Richie might know though.

PS: Hope to have pictures + video next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alanmcg101

does this gun use cO2 or green gas nd how do u load the gas into the gun

Gas is loaded directly into the Bolt. It can only use 134a gas though, as it's a little bit powerful on Green, and would definitely be over on CO2.

How many can you cycle through in one gas load and what do you mean by a bit powerful?

Bit 'powerful' on green gas meant that it's over the limit. Only to be used with 134a for irish limits. I haven't used the gas bolt as much as the spring, so don't know how many it'll go through per fill, but I'll try find out for you. I much prefer the spring bolt, as a personal preferance. Quieter and longer pull = more satisfying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lfogs

I have bought TS SX9 not SX9 DB!

Is it possible to buy the Gas Bolt and use it in SX9 model or there is any difference between both models that limits the use of Gas Bolt?

Anyone knows the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

Anyone know where this is currently available?

422nd wrote: »
    Anyone know where this is currently available?

What do you want to know if it's available?

The Rifle?

www.asmc.de

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

Yes the rifle.

It's possible to buy it from: www.asmc.de

Still have no answer to my question...
    Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gabriel Oliveira

Hi, i bought the sniper sx9 Tokyo soldier here in Brazil, but only the bolt spring came with the sniper, do you know where i can find these bolt or others upgrades parts? Thanks.

Advertisement