Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angling Permits

Options
  • 02-06-2010 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

It's been years since i've done any coarse fishing but I have recently been given access to land with river access. (Blackwater, North Cork)

The coarse fishing i've done previously was on the Lee and being my younger days things like permits never bothered me.

Do I need a permit to fish on private land?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Depends on who owns the fishing rights to that particular stretch of the river - best for you to check with your local fisheries board.

The adjoing private land doesn't necessarily mean the land owner has fishing rights for the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

snow ghost wrote: »
    The adjoing private land doesn't necessarily mean the land owner has fishing rights for the water.

Is it a case that unless a landowner has leased the rights of the fishing to a third party then he/she has the fishing rights to any waters on their land? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Is it a case that unless a landowner has leased the rights of the fishing to a third party then he/she has the fishing rights to any waters on their land?
    Maybe. But only if they reserved that under the terms of the lease.
    Like letting out your house but keeping a room for yourself. Only ok if written in the contract.

A lot of landowner-anglers let their bit to the club, and in return get a free membership or two. This allows them to fish their own part with no complications, and also to fish whatever other places the club controls.

CoalBucket: you may want to get a state rod license and tags for the Blackwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

So if a landowner tells you to fish away on his land then you cant be stopped?

i.e. somebody can't come along and say we (a club, syndicate, etc) own the rights to this entire river if they don't have an arrangement with the landowner concerned?

SeaFields wrote: »
    Is it a case that unless a landowner has leased the rights of the fishing to a third party then he/she has the fishing rights to any waters on their land? :confused:

A lot of landowners adjoining waterways in Ireland have absolutely no fishing rights to the rivers, etc, in the first place.

Regretably, it is a very convoluted matter that goes back to the LandLord system in Ireland - when the Land Lords basically owned all the land and the waterways.

Following Land acts and Independence, etc, it seems the waterways were largely left in Limbo and often nobody actually knows who legally has the fishing rights.

That said a lot of landlords or their estates still own the rights.

It is actually a disgraceful situation and should be adressed by the government.

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    So if a landowner tells you to fish away on his land then you cant be stopped?

i.e. somebody can't come along and say we (a club, syndicate, etc) own the rights to this entire river if they don't have an arrangement with the landowner concerned?

Owning land doesn't automatically grant you fishing rights to any adjoining waterway.

So often landowners have no right to tell you to fish away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

But they do generally know who owns the fishing rights.
    Vagueness is often produced where one wishes they owned the property of another!

A valid point coolwings!

That said there are some very tenuous claims to fishing rights by land owners on Irish waterways.

What is particularly disgusting is that old style Land Lords or their heredetry descendants still have considerable rights as the water ways were never probably dealt with as the Land generally was following independence.

The song title 'Only Our Rivers Run Free' is a misnomer - they clearly don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I'm more confused now than when I started. :D

Advertisement