Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where To Look For A Used (Or Cheap New) Four Thirds Telephoto Zoom?

• 02-06-2010 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've an Olympus E-410 and quite like it.

I have the two kit lenses: 14-42mm & 40-150, and both are fine for the amateur/hobby stuff I'm doing but I'll soon be needing a long telephoto zoom lens for it. Came across the Sigma 50-500, which seems like a great lens for the money, but it seems to be discontinued.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/50-500mm-f4-63-ex-dg-hsm-sigma

Can anyone on these forums recommend a physical shop in Ireland (preferrably Dublin/east Leinster), that might occasionally have such a lens for sale second hand? Remember, I need a four thirds mount,

I know there are shortcomings with a lens with such a big zoom range, and in this price range, but I'm never going to be a pro, so I'm sure this lens (or similar) will serve me just fine till I win the lotto.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Deliasz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

OP have you considered the Oly 70-300? It won't have the same reach as the Sigma you mentioned but it'll be much easier to come by and cheaper even new. I've one and for the money it's a super piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

^^ what he said, its a great lens for the price, loads more on eBaaaay: http://photography.shop.ebay.ie/For-Digital-SLR-/30070/i.html?Manufacturer=Olympus&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282
    I've the older version of the 40-150mm f3.5/4.5 and it's OK. There's the 50-200 f2.8/3.5 SWD @ ~€1k, or the Piece-de-resistance would be the 90-250 f2.8, but..........its kinda expensive @ €4.7k !!! Mmmmmm......I wonder what those samyang 500mm f8 mirror lenses (from Poland) are like ?!?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one problem with four thirds mount sigmas is that shops will probably not have them in stock, and they'll have to be ordered in; and that might be tough - i've got a four thirds mount sigma which took emails to sigma in japan in order for the importer to get the lens in.

also, how much was the lens that you linked to in the original post, given its replacement (which has a more restrictive max aperture) is $2400?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Yep, looked at that Oly 70-300mm. Great price, and well respected as a great hobby/amateur lens, but I think I might feel like I'd always want more than 300mm, so I do want something out to 500mm, maybe 400mm if it was really cheap.

The Sigma 50-500mm is €900 in Conn's, if they have it or can get it: http://www.connscameras.ie/sigma-50500mm-f46-3-ex-dg-hsm-lens/p-085126736279pd.html

I'm not really clued-in with everything on this, but I'm guessing that the f6.3 may not be a huge problem, though I do hope to be able to frequently use the lens at its 500mm end.

In fairness, even some of the hot-shot super-telephoto lenses are only f5.6 or so at the long end, so for €900 new, that Sigma seems to me like a decent lens.

Thing is, reasonably-priced as it is, I'm hoping I can find it, or something similar for even less.

MFLenses seem to list just manual-focus lenses, and I do want this tele-zoom to be AF.

Thanks for the replies,

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Yep, looked at that Oly 70-300mm. Great price, and well respected as a great hobby/amateur lens, but I think I might feel like I'd always want more than 300mm, so I do want something out to 500mm, maybe 400mm if it was really cheap.

The Sigma 50-500mm is €900 in Conn's, if they have it or can get it: http://www.connscameras.ie/sigma-50500mm-f46-3-ex-dg-hsm-lens/p-085126736279pd.html

I'm not really clued-in with everything on this, but I'm guessing that the f6.3 may not be a huge problem, though I do hope to be able to frequently use the lens at its 500mm end.

In fairness, even some of the hot-shot super-telephoto lenses are only f5.6 or so at the long end, so for €900 new, that Sigma seems to me like a decent lens.

Thing is, reasonably-priced as it is, I'm hoping I can find it, or something similar for even less.

MFLenses seem to list just manual-focus lenses, and I do want this tele-zoom to be AF.

Thanks for the replies,

Mark

One thing you'll need to consider if you do go for the Sigma (and I do believe it's a good lens, Calina has one if I'm not mistaken) is the weight, it's going to dwarf your E420, if you're going to use it much you'll need a decent tripod, especially since neither camera or lens has IS, at 1000MM equivalent every little tremor is going to translate into plenty of blurred pictures, it'll need some thing steady to hold it.

Advertisement