Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel Challenge Shooting Faciltiy

Options
  • 02-06-2010 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

i would love to go there ,looks like something more than shooting
    great mix with camping/walking/ and amazing views :
    http://www.wms-firearmstraining.org/courses/course.php?course=7

anybody been there? 300 per person.. ...hmmm

i'll bet half of lads here with lands permissions have same views when they shooting.. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Good article on this place in this months Target Shooter magazine.
    Sounds very interesting.

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/Issues/issues%20html/June%202010/index.html

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

sharky0922 wrote: »
    i would love to go there ,looks like something more than shooting
    great mix with camping/walking/ and amazing views :
    http://www.wms-firearmstraining.org/courses/course.php?course=7

anybody been there? 300 per person.. ...hmmm

i'll bet half of lads here with lands permissions have same views when they shooting.. :rolleyes:

The 300 is for up to three people. Sounds like bloody good value to me, and a lot of fun. Beautiful scenery too.

Yep, I agree, the weekday rate of £300 per person for 1 - 3 people seems bloody good value indeed.

Wouldn't mind a trip over sometime. Walking, camping, shooting.....ah the joy of it all!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

i will defo be heading over there once i have the cash/time. great link thanks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

juice1304 wrote: »
    i will defo be heading over there once i have the cash/time. great link thanks.:)

It's cheaper to join an approved range for a year and hunting is free in this country :)
    That mountain scence is no diferent to some of my shooting permissions.
    The advice given can be got in Ireland, we have som eof the best shooters in the world!

• Advertisement

Couple of things there on your post, tac, that I'd have to disagree with you on:;)

It's cheaper to join an approved range for a year

That price of UK£300 is for a group of Three (3) shooters.
    Where, prey tell, can one join an authorised range for a UK£100 (ca. €120) per annum? Or have I missed out on this years discount?:D

hunting is free in this country

It may be free - and that's not entirely true in all cases is it - but some of us don't have handy access to 5000 acres of land on which to shoot over. TBH I don't have access to much more than 25 sq.m. (unless one wants to include the Phoenix Park, but I think there may be some issues with me getting permissions to shoot over that particular real estate)! We're not all as lucky as you large rural landowners & real estate barons!:D:rolleyes:

And I've seen the reactions lads have got on here when they ask where to get hunting land permissions! Kinda hard to just head out to some random neck of the countryside and start knocking on doors as an outsider (and even worse if you've a D-Reg motor and any form of a dublin accent!). That would IMO be a long and very wasted journey.

So....some of us are pretty much reliant, for hunting, on our country-cousins, local family connections, and the generosity and support of our rural-dwelling shooting compatriots:D;)

That mountain scence is no diferent to some of my shooting permissions

You're a lucky man, then. But see above.

The advice given can be got in Ireland

It can - but the opportunities for target shooting, both uphill and downhill, at varied distances (i.e. not just at the 100yd/m intervals), and at a number of different target types and shapes (paper, silhouette, falling plate, steelplate, etc.), all out to 1100yd's, is pretty limited around here!

Or do you know of somewhere around that I've not heard of?

It's pretty damn flat where I tend to do my shooting!:D

we have some of the best shooters in the world!

We do indeed. Can't dispute that.

dC

I might not have 5000 acres yet, but my family and relations brings me to ~2000 acres, friends and colleagues from various parts of the country would bring me up close to that.

I got my bill for €285 today for my authorized range so I accept the fee thing, but if you devide it by 250~ actual days were you can shoot in peace and quiet.

bring your TRG some day with you and I'll give you a 600~ yard bunny target.
    Perhaps even a thousand yard bunny, but I need a more expensive range finder.

The only Caveat is no slagging of yours truely in public, and no telling of my shooting patches.

Bringing a man on to your hunting grounds is like inviting him to your house, if one treats it with respect, one gets more invitations :)

I could intro you to several farmers with rabbit problems.
    If I had more money to buy ammo and more free time I would have far more shooting, I have to make do with 6 hours a week on average

:D
    even a thousand yard bunny, but I need a more expensive range finder

I'd need a more expensive training regime and a tad more than a wee bit of luck, wind, the gods, etc on my side to hit a bunny at 1000yds - Now that would be a national record!:D:D:rolleyes:
    The only Caveat is no slagging of yours truely in public

Would I?;)
    I believe you're mixing me up with a certain young .303 shooter!:rolleyes:;):D
    no telling of my shooting patches

That's a given!

Whilst the Steel Challenge range is not something I'd be popping over to Wales to do every week or two, it does sound like an interesting couple of days shooting. Have a read of the TargetShooter report and there's also a couple of good write-ups on the testimonial part of the WMS site.

So, when the money starts flowing copiously again, I'll be looking to head over. Off to Diggle in a couple of weeks to try my luck there. Happy to try out any and every range that will have me TBH!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

dCorbus wrote: »
    ...I believe you're mixing me up with a certain young .303 shooter!:rolleyes:;):D..........

Less of the young :p there are enough young pups on here, eh Tac :p

Did I mention you? Eh?:P
    Did I? Well?

I said "young .303 shooter"!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Did I mention you? Eh?:P
    Did I? Well?

I said "young .303 shooter"!!;)

Oh it was me alright you were just being generous :D:p

I'd need a more expensive training regime and a tad more than a wee bit of luck, wind, the gods, etc on my side to hit a bunny at 1000yds - Now that would be a national record!:D:D:rolleyes:

Would I?;)
    I believe you're mixing me up with a certain young .303 shooter!:rolleyes:;):D

That's a given!

Whilst the Steel Challenge range is not something I'd be popping over to Wales to do every week or two, it does sound like an interesting couple of days shooting. Have a read of the TargetShooter report and there's also a couple of good write-ups on the testimonial part of the WMS site.

So, when the money starts flowing copiously again, I'll be looking to head over. Off to Diggle in a couple of weeks to try my luck there. Happy to try out any and every range that will have me TBH!:D

no probs. I hope to be home next weekend, I'm off down south myself, more south west though.
    All things going well I'm scheduled to be off Sat through wed of next week, the Glory of shift work, down side I'm in Monday 8 hours.
    Although if you have no Mod , Bunnies will only give you 1-2 shots, with a mod you will get much more.
    I saw one of my permissions had 40 acres of silage cut today so bunnies will be plentiful.

If the weather is good the just keep coming out.
    Although I have shot a lot of bunnies in the wet, I prefer to keep my equipment dry ;)

[QUOTE=Tackleberrywho;66239372
    That mountain scence is no diferent to some of my shooting permissions.
    The advice given can be got in Ireland, we have som eof the best shooters in the world![/QUOTE]

well only if your offering, lol

juice1304 wrote: »
    well only if your offering, lol

You may laugh, join the irish farmers Journal on facebook, or the IFA, Lusk has farmers, Farmers have land and vermin = Shooting. Ask questions like "do you have problems with rabbits/foxes etc? need a CHEAP and EASY solution? "

Ireland is a sparcely populated country.
    We have lots of land, once you are respectful to a farmer he will lok after you, and shoot the odd fox magpie or greycrow.

Fair exchange IMHO.

You may laugh, join the irish farmers Journal on facebook, or the IFA,

will do thanks:), i never though of facebook.
    good thinking batman

Advertisement