Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REPEATING situation

Options
  • 02-06-2010 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Im doing my LC this year , i just made up my mind on the course .
    Im doing

Art (h)
    business(o)
    Physics (h)
    Economics(h)
    Irish (H)
    math(o)
    applied math(o)
    English (o)

I want to do medicine so badly (its funny because i just made it up like 2 months ago), this means that i ll have to repeat because i missed the Hpat exam.... anyway.
    for next year i need to choose 6 subjects & do them at H. level .
    would you people say that it be possible to do
    chemistry & biology at higher lvl. next year (from scrap [?])
    i really enjoy science like stuff and all. I HATE BUSINESS . and here's hard pick . i neither gonna have to do ;
    Irish , phys ,art , with........

*Economics - with i dont really enjoy
    *Business - its simple A , but boring as hell..
    *Chemistry - from scrap .. but im going to start it during summer.
    *Biology - its interesting and as chem. im going to do it during summa not much but like a hour per day .

Help me i need to choose three from the above.
    and if ya got any sensible comments due to my situation. hehe.
    feel free ;DD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

You do NOT need to repeat to sit the HPAT. The HPAT, as far as I'm aware, is run by a company, not the government (open to correction here). However I know for a fact that whoever runs it, you don't need to be in school to take it.

If you score high in the LC this year, go and get a job for a year while you wait for next year's HPAT and then the CAO place allocation (Aug. 2011).

Whatever you do, if you really are serious about doing medicine: Don't just take a place in some other course for the year. When you drop out you will lose your free fees and any grants you applied for.

If you can't get a job... go to the gym alot and start learning how to play an instrument :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kylerr

i wouldn't recommend chemistry if your looking for points....
    but defo do biology if your willing to do a tiny bit of work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I would recommend taking on chemistry. You need it for many medicine courses in Ireland. Not only that but you'll have to learn much of the LC chemistry course when you're in medicine anyway so your life will be so much easier if you do it for the LC first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

Yeh but what about taking on both chemistry and biology ? i'd say it won't be easy . but what you guys think ?

and i don't thing i ll do really well this year . i might get around 480-500 but im not quiet shure now . . at least 420 but that if im really unlucky .
    but i will repeat anyway becouse i wanna make sure that i ll get there .
    i m thinking of leaving economics and just do biology ,business ,chemistry,art,phys, irish at h lvl . and math & english pass .
    so is it doable ? i need your opinion or advice becouse i cant make up my mind on there subjects ...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

You're well able for taking up biology and chemistry if you're willing to put in some work, which obviously you are if you want to do medicine! Make sure you go to a good school and get grinds if necessary, it'll be hard to do them on your own.
    I took up chemistry at the start of 6th year and it's fine. And biology is really straightforward, it's just a case of learning it off and practicing exam questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Hi, I hate to break it to you but you need to matriculate for every time you are applying to do medicine i.e. do irish, english, maths and a third language.

Minimum Entry Requirements

School Leavers:

In order for school leavers to be eligible to compete for entry to undergraduate medicine, they must
    both (a) achieve a minimum

of 480 points
    and (b) meet the minimum entry requirements# for each medical school for which they have applied and these

must both be achieved in the same sitting of the Irish Leaving Certificate Examination, or equivalent*
    (see table 1 for details of

requirements for each medical programme)

The requirements they mean are Irish etc. See the table in the link. So you can't use subject requirements from one year and the points from another.

http://www2.cao.ie/otherinfo/2009UGMedEntry.pdf

Feel free to correct me but I think this is right. Of course if you get the points this year you can keep them and just do the HPAT next year. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

The requirements they mean are Irish etc. See the table in the link. So you can't use subject requirements from one year and the points from another.

http://www2.cao.ie/otherinfo/2009UGMedEntry.pdf

Feel free to correct me but I think this is right. Of course if you get the points this year you can keep them and just do the HPAT next year. Best of luck!
    you are right . Thanks to all !!

Advertisement