Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rental too good to be true?

Options
  • 02-06-2010 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi guys - sorry bit long!

I found a property on myhome.ie for €600 per month for a 2 bed place in cork ( which is very good). Its gorgeous so i emailed the landlord about it and this is what he emailed back:

"Hi,
    My name is Richard Thorpe and i have an apartment for rent in ***** Cork and the price is 600 EUR/month. The apartment was my mother's, but she died 2 years ago and now i thought i can rent it. I live in UK with my family. If you are interested to rent the apartment, the rent is 600 EUR and you will have to pay for 2 months in advance (for the whole apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator) and you will begin to pay the rent normal from the 3th month of your staying.
    If you are interested, email me back and i will explain you how we can proceed.
    Thank you."

I only thought afterwards that it may be a scam as his name is very English (no offence intended) but his english wasn't great. I was nearly scammed before, with a job/cheque scam from someone called Tom Henshaw.

any thoughts??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

juzzy wrote: »
    Hi guys - sorry bit long!

I found a property on myhome.ie for €600 per month for a 2 bed place in cork ( which is very good). Its gorgeous so i emailed the landlord about it and this is what he emailed back:

"Hi,
    My name is Richard Thorpe and i have an apartment for rent in ***** Cork and the price is 600 EUR/month. The apartment was my mother's, but she died 2 years ago and now i thought i can rent it. I live in UK with my family. If you are interested to rent the apartment, the rent is 600 EUR and you will have to pay for 2 months in advance (for the whole apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator) and you will begin to pay the rent normal from the 3th month of your staying.
    If you are interested, email me back and i will explain you how we can proceed.
    Thank you."

I only thought afterwards that it may be a scam as his name is very English (no offence intended) but his english wasn't great. I was nearly scammed before, with a job/cheque scam from someone called Tom Henshaw.

any thoughts??

Ha! - That scam is as old as the hills...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Scam, Scam, Scam...

Theres loads of it around, same with car buying & selling websites.

If it sounds to good to be true, then it IS too good to be true.

Dont watse your energy....unless you've nothing to do, in that case keep mailing him asking did he recieve the money you sent via western union... string em along and waste his time!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Scam. Report it to myhome.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Sweet it's got Aircon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

air con and water bills paid for not to mind broken english and the fact its a well know scam. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 juzzy

hey thanks everyone!! thought as much but the good price was clouding my judgement!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I got that same email after seeing a 2 bed for 600 in bray!! word for word (except he changed his name)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Must be scam, air con doesnt exist in ireland , must have been copied from an american website.
    ITS not hot enough here to require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

juzzy wrote: »
    i will explain you how we can proceed.

And this Richard Thorpe has been living in the UK how long?
    I'm sorry but in this case the old adage is true, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ricman wrote: »
    Must be scam, air con doesnt exist in ireland , must have been copied from an american website.
    ITS not hot enough here to require it.

It might be uncommon, but aircon does exist in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It might be uncommon, but aircon does exist in Ireland...
    Not as common as netcon, though....

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement