Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somebody please help.will be greatly appreciated

Options
  • 02-06-2010 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Well im on the failboat n anyways.absolutely guttted.what are my options in regards to repeating first year or applying through the cao.Will i just have to pay for first year and get my fees paid for the other three etc .Please help i dont think i could handle criticism right now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

How many modules did you fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

5 across the year.iv havent liked my course and aload of PI issues.id like to do something different or go somewhere else and am just wondering if i do go do i have to pay for the full college fees for 4 years etc and if i can get back into the cao process now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Don't panic, thats the first thing :)

With 5 fails you can't repeat/compensate AFAIK.

But, you'll only have to pay the fees for first year. You'll also not get the maintenance grant for the repeat year if you're entitled to it.

I *think* and I'm open to correction here, your best bet is reapply thru CAO for whatever you want to do and you should only have to pay for first year, free fees will cover the rest.

Chin up, it'll be okay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Tom1991 wrote: »
    5 across the year.iv havent liked my course and aload of PI issues.id like to do something different or go somewhere else and am just wondering if i do go do i have to pay for the full college fees for 4 years etc and if i can get back into the cao process now

Sorry mate, I havn't got an answer for all of yer questions. But I'd say you won't have to pay the full fee's for all 4 years. Could be wrong though, but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Well im on the failboat n anyways.absolutely guttted.what are my options in regards to repeating first year or applying through the cao.Will i just have to pay for first year and get my fees paid for the other three etc .Please help i dont think i could handle criticism right now

Having completed one year you will not be eligible (all things being equal) for 'free fees' for this year again. If you repeat, you will pay the fees, if you reapply to the CAO (I think you've missed the deadline for next September) you will pay the fees for 1st year, but when you pass that 'free fees' will kick in again.

If you're doing a course you don't like and don't want to continue, you can consider making an internal application to switch courses. This presumes you have the points for the course. So let's pretend you got 450 points in the Leaving Cert and you're doing Arts and you decide, after failing 1st year you want to do Science, you may be able to transfer to 1st year Science. you will pay fees for this year.

Alternatively you can reapply through the CAO (afaik, it's closed for next term) as you you did in your first application but will pay fees (unless, by some magic, they don't cop you already did first year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Hi Tom,

Don't worry, its not too late to apply by CAO for september because there are specific rules regarding late entry for people who are currently in college because a lot of people do go through your situation.

More details and the rules on late application are here http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php

Go and talk to your program office first off and discuss the situation.

Also if you plan on coming back to UCD enquire on transfering module credits from this year to next year. Every module you get exempt from is another 450 euro off the bill. This will depend on your new course though.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the swift replies.ill discuss it with the office as to what to do. But the cao not being closed to me is a big relief as it offers more options thank god i found work this summer.My questions have been resolved thanks a million to you all.

Quick bump here Just a quick questionoted seeing as im finished .Im confused by the full fees quoted seeing as im finished first year.If im accepted into another course in another college next year and pay my first year fees say 5 grand do i have to pay 5 grand every year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

No, you will only have to pay the fees for first year.

Advertisement