Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny Werner on "Effortless Mastery"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

A bit of background info on the subject matter would be nice but i think i understand what he's talking about. I'm not completely sure if he's talking about some kind of unconscious creative expression or simply the approach you should take to playing your instrument though.

The idea that playing the instrument should not be felt as something the musician is responsible for puzzles me a little, at least in that there could be both positives and negatives attached to it. I am curious to know to what extent Werner advocates this ideology.

I certainly have, on the odd occasion, had the feel for the instrument where nothing feels forced or that i can play things that i'd normally have difficulty with, without the conscious effort or strife that i would if i thought about it too much. The psychological concept of working memory and its limitations would certainly come into play, assuming that he's talking about freeing your self from the conscious playing of the instrument.

I'd still wonder what part of actual technical mastery has on this 'effortless mastery', when you see excellent musicians play they nearly always make it seem so easy whether or not what they are playing could be deemed as technically difficult or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Gussie Finknott

More American upmanship.How would the world revolve without them.Take a peek at Rainer Bruninghaus or Esbjorn Svensson,no bull**** players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Upmanship?
    What does this video have to do with the futile rivalry between the new world and the old. I don't see any declaration of superiority here.
    Heck, Werner doesn't even really play in this video. Have you heard him play? I'd hardly call Werner a bull**** player, Kenny G is the only person i'd award that accolade to :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭IVRZ

:) Thanks so much for posting this Franamico. I liked it so much I watched all the others on youtube and just got the book and cd today, very inspiring stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mistermogue

Werner's book is fantastic reading for any aspiring jazz musician (or anyone for that matter). Out of context the clip posted might not make much sense, but anyone who has read his book will realise that there ain't no ego at work with Werner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

IVRZ wrote: »
    :) Thanks so much for posting this Franamico. I liked it so much I watched all the others on youtube and just got the book and cd today, very inspiring stuff:)

You're welcome sir :-)
    I am glad you liked his concepts...they can be applied to anything really...
    BTW, I just posted a new thread on how to use NLP to learn how to improvise (in any field).

I''m going to be out soon in town with my quartet if you are around. Send me a friend request and I'll send you an invite...

Francesco

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jaakul

Big fan of the book, managed to get a good bit of out of it without going to "deep"!

Found a lot of it could be applied to a lot of approaches in life, not just music.

Cheers for the vid!

Advertisement