Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental advice

Options
  • 02-06-2010 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to rent either a nice apartment or house within walking distance to city center (lets say 10-15 mins). Budget would be 800-900 for a 2 bed or 1200-1300 for a 3 bed. Am I being unrealistic ? Took a peek around daft.ie and was a bit surprised as I thought prices had come down more than they seem to. Prices seem very high, paticularly on the South side. Could someone recommend somewhere ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Tusky wrote: »
    Looking to rent either a nice apartment or house within walking distance to city center (lets say 10-15 mins). Budget would be 800-900 for a 2 bed or 1200-1300 for a 3 bed. Am I being unrealistic ? Took a peek around daft.ie and was a bit surprised as I thought prices had come down more than they seem to. Prices seem very high, paticularly on the South side. Could someone recommend somewhere ?

Would you consider Northside, say Phibsboro or Smithfield? I've been looking around the south city area (D6, D14) for a one-bed and rents seem high for what you get. If you want something decent with parking the minimum seems to be €900 a month and that's a one-bed! :eek: You can get away with paying less if you're willing to take a ground floor apartment but I reckon that can be a security risk.

I'm thinking of looking on the Northside myself, there seems to be better value there but I'm open to anything decent in the areas I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Pick out the ones you like for ~900 and tell them you would consider it for ~800.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

accensi0n wrote: »
    Pick out the ones you like for ~900 and tell them you would consider it for ~800.

Its possible to do this now ?
    Emme wrote: »
    Would you consider Northside, say Phibsboro or Smithfield? I've been looking around the south city area (D6, D14) for a one-bed and rents seem high for what you get. If you want something decent with parking the minimum seems to be €900 a month and that's a one-bed! :eek: You can get away with paying less if you're willing to take a ground floor apartment but I reckon that can be a security risk.

I'm thinking of looking on the Northside myself, there seems to be better value there but I'm open to anything decent in the areas I mentioned.

Potentially Smithfield but not sure If I would fancy Phibsboro. Kind of want to be as close to the city as possible to cut out taxis etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

accensi0n wrote: »

Has anyone done this? I've noticed that rents for some places on Daft drop after a while, but anything decent costs money and goes fairly quickly. I don't want to spend a large proportion of my money on rent, considering that I might be taking a pay cut later in the year and I want to continue saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Of course you can negotiate rent down, I would say a lot of Dublin City Centre properties can be knocked down a bit from what is being asked. No harm to chance your arm, you'd be surprised that landlords are expecting it.

Try up around Pearse Street, loads of apartment and houses for rent in the area, some can be pretty reasonable and is a short walk into the City Centre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement